• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unsocial Network ?? Linkedin
Couple of questions about this "social network" (??) internet thingy.

I ain't real smart with computers, and my brain is slower than a rattle snake in winter.

Crikey, I can't even keep up with Facebook. Blush

But how can Linkedin help me (or anyone else) in business, when someone is half a world away. ??

I seem to get a lot of requests from American people to join and be their buddy, what would be the perceived benefit in accepting their request.??

Most of them I don't know, but they profess to know somebody that I know.

I may have replied to someone on a forum or met at an industry event such as Connections, and such a connection (no pun intended) is made, thus giving these people a reason to contact me.

I can't really see any reason that someone in Pigsty, Alabama, or Nome, Alaska, would want to have me as their "Link friend" being several thousand miles and a few countries away.

Hence most of these requests, I have deleted.

Look forward to some replies.

Shorty, lost in the tropical ethernet. Huh
(07-05-2012, 05:26 PM)Cairnswun Wrote: Couple of questions about this "social network" (??) internet thingy.

I ain't real smart with computers, and my brain is slower than a rattle snake in winter.

Crikey, I can't even keep up with Facebook. Blush

But how can Linkedin help me (or anyone else) in business, when someone is half a world away. ??

I seem to get a lot of requests from American people to join and be their buddy, what would be the perceived benefit in accepting their request.??

Most of them I don't know, but they profess to know somebody that I know.

I may have replied to someone on a forum or met at an industry event such as Connections, and such a connection (no pun intended) is made, thus giving these people a reason to contact me.

I can't really see any reason that someone in Pigsty, Alabama, or Nome, Alaska, would want to have me as their "Link friend" being several thousand miles and a few countries away.

Hence most of these requests, I have deleted.

Look forward to some replies.

Shorty, lost in the tropical ethernet. Huh
I have found Linkedin to be of no use to me what so ever. I am in a few groups and I get spam (not the type you fry with eggs) and I get other people talking about their cleaning services. So I am in groups with other people that have cleaning services which is no help to me at all. It's free and that is about the only good thing.

Now I am going to go and request you on Linkedin. Tongue
Linkedin is good for networking and finding contacts that can help you out.

For instance I want to get into a property, I do not know the contact person personally but after a little digging I find someone in my network does. Usually I can get a personal intoduction to the person I need to see from the person in my network, or a the very least I can get an internet intro and take it from there
That's a really good point you make Shorty. It is one that I have spent some time contemplating.

Can Social Media (ie: Facebook) & Networking Sites (ie: LinkedIn) be effective in Marketing your business? I think the answer is a resounding Yes.

BUT

that depends on many many things. And if the majority of answers don't stack up against the questions that you need to ask yourself about your business and how you fit into their (Facebook etc etc) business model to achieve your marketing goals then the answer is probably a resounding No.

The ones I can think of immediately are:

1. What type of business are you in? Obviously for us Carpet Cleaning. Could we benefit from Facebook? Yes. But the question is how? That's a big issue in itself. Is a before/After shot going to excite people? Once or twice maybe but after that you better come up with something else? What that is?is up to you! That's the beauty of owning your own business. I believe we need to create our company image in line with our personality (to a degree). A better term might be your "Professional Personality". In your case, you are a guy with a great sense of humour and that is a big part of your personality. You are already using it with your business name "Get Shorty" it shows a sense of humor. Thats the direction you could take it. What the content is? Would be the next question.

2. Is it an area specific local business? or does it have a service or product that it can sell nationally and/or internationally? Or are you a national brand? Ie: franchises

3. Do I really have the time or the drive to consistently post content on my pages? If you spend a lot of time creating Likes on your Facebook Page they are of no use unless you post consistent, relevant and interesting content to the audience you spent so much time creating.

A thing to remember is, if you get it right. The results can be exponential. Because if people press "like" on your content their whole friend base sees it and that friend base then get the opportunity to "Like" it and then their friend base and their friend base and so on. This could be millions of people if the content is good enough. And all it took was coming up with something people liked. That's where the real art is. That is the challenge.

But I hear you say "those people are no good to me as they are spread around the world" Very True (to a degree) Facebook is about critical mass and within that critical mass are a few people that either live in your area, have family that live in your area, own an investment property or business in your area and the list goes on. Yes you are hitting the masses to get to the few. As you would know a lot of marketing works that way. Also get as many local people ie: friends, family & existing business contacts to "Like" your page this will give you immediate local contacts that are likely to create more locals.

4. Is it a lot of work if done properly? Yes? And probably a lot of work if not done properly as well.

5. Does it suit everyone? No.

6. Are there results to be had & can you have some fun with it? Yes

7. The final question is can I be bothered?

My observation is that there are people who use it in a genuine manner, there are spammers and there are those who do it because of ego, where the number of people they have as friends or the number of "Likes" on their Facebook business page determines how popular they are. This is deluded in my mind but hey "whatever floats ya boat."

I have mainly focussed on Facebook and I'm sorry for the length of this post but that's my $0.50 worth.
LinkedIn is somewhat similar but with a different interface & business model.

Hope you didn't just want a yes or no answer. LOL
Just a small addition Regarding LinkedIn. I realize now that your main query was about that. Oops!

I think it is more important that your linkedIn networking group be more localized than say on Facebook for example. I have seen LinkedIn used very well in the past but it was very targeted. I think that's the way to get the best out of LinkedIn. The upshot of that is your contacts are predominantly locally connected and therefore more relevant to them and you. It also means any contact you receive is something you may actually be interested in & vice versa
Thanks for the replies all.

I guess I'm in a semi-envied position where I'm not really chasing work from the above sources.

I want to get rid of my residential work this financial year and slow down, just focusing on commercial work and leather plus a bit of color repair/stain removal etc;

I have had no signs on my van for 3&1/2 years and no ad in the yellow pages, actually, they also removed my listings in the white pages yet I'm still doing 6 & 7 days a week.

I rely simply on repeat biz; word of mouth and my web sites.

Due to the above replies, I shall be finding out how to ditch Linkedin.

I have very little interest in Facebook and hardly ever post there.

Oh, for the simple life.

Thanks all,

Shorty.

PS:: Thanks to blokes like Rick, I'm a forum junkie, Blush addicted to checking them out regularly. Rolleyes
I'm no longer on Linkedin.

Thanks for the comments.

Now I'm going to grab a cold beer, relax, and watch the footy. Big Grin
linkedin is good for reaching future prospects
  Reply   Purge Spammer
It hasn't sent me any business.
hitting the pavement is a MUCH MUCH MUCH better usage of time from my experience, than Linkedin or any social media.