• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
demos
Hi Rick - I am thinking about doing some demos of carpet cleaning to some area nursing homes and libraries.

Can you please tell me how you have done this?

Thank you.
Walk in and ask to speak with the person who is responsible for seeing to it that the carpet stays looking its best. Hand them a good looking brochure, and also reference your website that features commercial carpet cleaning. Offer to provide a "carpet inspection" where you can provide details on how they can maximize their carpets appearance and longevity. And offer to do a demo in a "trouble" area. Clean a small section of a problem spot for free. If you're using a good encap detergent like Releasit, you should be able to nail it! When they see the spot section that you cleaned turns out great and remains clean following the cleaning, they will be forced to do business with you.

In this client interview you have demonstrated clearly to them through the carpet inspection and the demo that you are the "go to" person who can SOLVE their commercial carpet cleaning problems. Make it clear that you are a commercial expert! That's your specialty. I have found that the above approach works really well in our old commercial carpet cleaning business www.Kleenstep.com
Thanks Rick. I just emailed the product link

http://www.kleenstep.com/Releasit_Carpet...System.pdf

To my foreman to study. If we're to use Releasit, it is time to figure out how. Lynne, the hardest thing for me was getting bold. Then it occurred that anyone not using oor services deserved to at least know about them, so now I point my face at people and just have a conversation! Good luck!
With Respect,
Stephen
Thanks, Rick and Steven. I appreciate your input.

Another related question.... which businesses should I target?

I thought of nursing homes because they require carpet cleaning every 6 months. I also love libraries so that was a given.

What other businesses should I look into first? It seems like everywhere I go, to doctor's offices or the bank or restaurants, I am always looking at their carpet and rugs and thinking to myself that with just a bit of effort and know-how, those carpets could look so much better.

Any input would be much appreciated!
You nailed it - everywhere you go.
Keep your eyes open. Observe potential accounts. 

Make a list of a few ideal clients in your area that you'd like to service, and then fire away. Market to them REPEATEDLY. You won't likely sell on the initial call. Keep making return visits to each of the prospects on your list. In time, you will likely land a few accounts. Persistence and demonstrating your ability to solve their problems is the way to build a base of commercial customers.
Hi Lynne,
my apologies for such a long post.

As has been said before, keep persistent.

One thing I do is try & use every Friday morning to call on prospects and do a demo for them.

I then usually take my wife to lunch, then home to do the quotes for the jobs that I been to in the morning.

The quotes are then on this persons desk on Monday morning, if not Friday afternoon.

NOW, regarding getting knocked back on a job.

I had one job that I did yearly until a new manager took over, which I then lost last year.

Last week, I was called in by the building manager to clean a lift lobby on the 15th floor with my Big Yella (Cimex).

Their cleaner was unable to remove certain stains & the carpet still looked a mess.

The above business is also located on the 15th floor.

I cleaned the carpet on Saturday morning.

Monday morning the building manager told me how impressed the biz; above was with the carpets.

An hour later they contacted me to do a quote -NO DEMO.

When I took the keys back, all the staff were complimenting me on the job, they had even sent me an email BEFORE I dropped the keys off, see below.

The manager of this biz; then proceeded to tell me how the previous cleaner she got told her the carpet was unable to be cleaned any more as all stains were permanent & the carpet needs to be replaced.

One other item in this building, ten years ago I was asked to do a demo on a carpet that was to be replaced, the carpet retailer recommended me.

Today, I am still doing this same carpet, all two levels of it.

Here's the email:
Good morning Shorty

I wanted to thank you for the fabulous job you have done on our carpet. It looks amazing. I will pass your invoice on to our accountant and make sure it is paid promptly.
Thank you
Kind regards
Gayleen
Precruitment
Gayleen Toll FRCSA
Managing Director

Get in their face & do a demo, even if they knock you back, go & see them again.

Things change & it's just a matter of timing.

Hope this helps.

Cool
I don't regret my past, I just regret the times I've wasted with the wrong people.
Take me as I am, or watch me as I go.
I'll retire when I can no longer do what I love, or I no longer love what I can do.
Stop moving, start dying........
Thanks Rick and Shorty! You have given me a lot of good ideas.

Shorty...I love reading your posts no matter if they're brief or otherwise. Way to go on those accounts!

We junior encappers are like sponges, just soaking up the wisdom of pro's like you, Steven, and Rick. This forum is a goldmine for newbies! I read this forum like other people read romance novels... I kid you not!. I never thought I would love carpet cleaning so much!

I feel truly blessed to have found Excellent Supply.
Lynne, I can't let you put me on the same pedestal as Rick and Shorty. I'm just beginning to learn encapping, like you. Down here in Alabama, most business owners are busy and hate change. So, I acknowlege that right up front and ask them cheerfully if they are married to their carpet guy or open to options. Usually it gets a "what kind of options?" or "yeah we like him (her)". Either case, I just roll with it.
I also tell people point blank that I'd love to be their guy, even if it is just to reset all dials to zero. "Like this traffic area. If I correct that, your regular guy could take it from there, if you like."

For me, sometimes a small bit of outrageousness works. Guy said "You can have the account." "Absolutely not!" I told him, "Not until I show you a better job than you are getting now."
I got the account and he insisted on paying for the demo. Cool!
With Respect,
Stephen
Just for the record, & thanks for the nice words, BUT, I'm just an average carpet cleaner that loves what I do.

I'm by no means a professional, but I just try to help out when & if I think I can.

Living in the sticks you must figure out for yourself what must be done to make life, & therefore the job, easier and look great.

Also, I rely on Rick, and many other peoples knowledge in this game.

I hope you young'uns stay doing this for a while.

When you get to love what you do, the work no longer seems like work, but more of as hobby that is in a different location every day.

Cool
I don't regret my past, I just regret the times I've wasted with the wrong people.
Take me as I am, or watch me as I go.
I'll retire when I can no longer do what I love, or I no longer love what I can do.
Stop moving, start dying........