• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Still dealing with ice-melt issues - Hydrox?
quarterly account with heavy ice-melt residue...not so heavy that there is a white build-up, but it has that wet look to the carpet in certain areas. 2 months ago we used Hydrox @ 12 oz., as it recommends on the bottle for ice-melt issues.

my contact emailed me today to schedule our next visit and she mentioned that they reappeared shortly after our last visit.

any ideas on a way to fix this using VLM/encap? maybe use Hydrox at a stronger dosage, or can i add some citric acid to Hydrox??

thanks for any advice --- Derek. Big Grin
No need to add acid to Encap-HydrOx. It's already EXTREMELY acidic. It's between 3 and 4 pH in concentrate (over a thousand times more acidic than a neutral pH of 7).

If it didn't look good following the cleaning, there is likely a wicking issue. I would consider re-cleaning with heavy HWE - with a goal to flushing the deeply embedded crud from the carpet. Then following the HWE cleaning, speed dry the carpet - and possibly even perform a post-bonnet cleaning. You could use Encap-HydrOx for all these steps. Encap-HydrOx cuts through ice melt really well.
no HWE here. i'll try the Hydrox @ 12 oz again. def not a wicking issue, unless ice-melt wicks??

maybe using the Orbot would be better with a cloth or MF pad to work the detergent in a little better...or maybe the Cimex with Tuway BBC's.

thanks --- Derek.
Today we start to clean the first of seven buildings. The entry and first set of steps going up are heavy salt impacted ( carpets hard as a rock ). I will keep you posted.
Derek,

The ice melt is only part of the problem. The soil that gets attracted to the ice melt can cause wicking. Ice melt can attract soil, and melted snow mixed with soil can load up at the base of the carpet. Pull apart the tufts of fiber in the traffic lane and inspect the backing of the carpet. Is the backing white? The normal color of the backing should be white. If it isn't white, then there's a potential for wicking to occur. Re-soiling and discoloration following the cleaning is usually a result of embedded soil that was exacerbated by ice melt.

Since you don't have HWE, cleaning with your OP machine with Superzorb pads or Microbeast bonnets along with a strong dilution of Encap-HydrOx should help to correct the problem. Take your time! Make several passes going north/south, east/west. And speed dry the area.

Keep us posted.
is 12 oz per gallon strong enough, or should i go 18?
Been in Vermont I see plenty of ice melt. I usually go much higher than 12oz. In many cases the problem is left too long before I get called to deal with it. I have seen many areas turn to stone with the build up of ice melt and dirt. At this point I explain the fibers are damaged. I never promise anything and the problem could be permanent. I explain that ice melt left too long can become a permanent problem and is very timely to fix. Results will vary. It will look better but maybe never perfect.
Jarrod nailed it. Perhaps as high as 18 oz per gallon. But keep in mind that at those higher dilutions, you could see a bit of whiteness left behind and/or a little bit of crunchiness to the fiber. This is due to the heavy amount of polymer you'll be leaving at that level. Encap-HydrOx has a lot of encap polymer in it! And the polymer that we're using in Encap-HydrOx is very white in color. Probably just re-cleaning it with a normal dilution should work.
good info! i plan on going 18 oz per and will inform my contact that their janitor will have to give it a thorough vacuum after it's dry....just gotta think on how i'll word it.
Update. We cleaned our first of seven buildings yesterday with heavy salt impacted carpet in the entry and steps. Process 12 oz of Hydrox, spray and let dwell, scrubbed with a fiber max pad followed with micro fiber, light spray again cleaned final pass with cotton. Inspected the steps this morning and they looked great. Yesterday you couldn't see or feel the pattern / texture in the carpet due to the build up. Today the carpet actually has a nap and you can see the pattern.
Derek - break out your Trio and use the Hydrox in it and scrub the heck out of the effected areas.  It will dig all of the crap out of the carpet and then post bonnet with your Orbot and a little more Hydrox.  Finish with dry pads and get the carpet as dry as possible and then put down fans and speed dry.  
  Reply   Purge Spammer
saabtrash gave some nice advice there too

What a bunch of sharp guys here!