• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rug Cleaning dilemma
situation I thought I would bring to the board brotheren:

I've had a couple of requests for cleaning area rugs. Honestly, the few rugs I have encountered so far, I simply cleaned the way I've cleaned the other carpet--vacuum, spray with my solution (i'm an encap-hydrox junkie), work in with my procaps machine, done. However, doing some reading today and I see that there is a whole different world in that regard--carpet badgers, pile lifting, etc. So here is what I'm wondering.

Is there a low tech method for getting rugs clean? I'm not ready to go out and buy a Badger (not enough volume yet). I think from a couple of things I've read, flipping the rug over and vacuuming with my beater bar vac will get a lot of dirt out of the rug that otherwise would stay trapped in there. I am not sure which is better--encap using a brush by hand (i would use the soft brushes on the zebra spot brush) or HWE. Or if I should just pass until I have other equipment. Rug cleaning is obviously lucrative and I don't really want to pass on the business, but if there isn't a low tech method that any of you guys can speak on, I'd rather pass it on to make sure the customer gets a clean rug.
It's not that simple unfortunately.

First, as in carpet cleaning, determine the fiber.

Some fibres are best not cleaned with an orbital or rotary, such as silk, etc;

These should be wet cleaned and groomed with the lay of the nap before drying.

When dry, it's a good idea to vacuum and set the nap (pile) again.

Then, what is the problem with the rug??

If it's urine, as with other odour problems, it may need to be soaked.

Some rugs can be hung to dry, others may need to be dried flat.

There are many variables in rug cleaning, and I would, (if I were you), attend a rug cleaning course BEFORE attempting to clean a rug that you may not want to buy.

Lisa Wagner is an excellent instructor that can lead you in the right direction. Wink

With equipment, you don't really need all the bells and whistles to clean rugs.

A Rug Badger or Wolverine are nice to have, but not essential, as you have alluded to in your post.

If you have the time and space, you can clean many rugs with little expense, using equipment you may already have.

Shy
We clean a fair amount of rugs - let me add one caveat. It's not nearly the limitless gold mine that some people make it out to be! Don't get me wrong, it's profitable, but for low volume operations most folks make more money per hour cleaning carpet.
You may use microfiber rugs which have many advantages
These are easy to clean
These have more life
These can save your money.
Today I cleaned a wool rug $200 per hour including Vacuuming.
Three months ago I cleaned the same rug. Urine stains and odor.
Today before I cleaned it, I noticed that it was still looking clean & brite.
So as with the previous cleaning I used cimex and Releaseit bio-encap with
odor counteractant. Why am I sharing this???

Well I think listening to what the client concern is and addressing that concern is what matters. In my case (odor) was there concern. They were happy that the odor was gone and that they paid half the price of what it would normally cost to allow me to take to plant. Ask questions. Gain info. Example: first time I went for inspection I learned their concern, I learned client didn't want to pay the rug plant rate that they researched. I learned the age of pet, I learned pet stain dwell time etc. Based on that I offered a guarantee that if your not happy with the odor removal I will refund money. Guess what? Didn't hear back from them till 90 days later. Why??

New urine stain odor.

So I gained the trust of a client by listening and addressing the concerns. However I covered myself by stipulating in the contract the possible draw backs and that Kleen O' Green is not responsible. WHEN CLIENT IS HAPPY I'M HAPPY.

So the key is " Listen for the concern and offer the solution without over promising. "
Its WIN! WIN! I've now gained a new client as their problem solver.
Cleaner Carpet. Cleaner Planet.

If you value life
Do not squander time.
Time is the stuff life is made of.
We started out by using a Sanitaire upright with a beater bar to help dust the rugs. We used our truckmount or portable to extraction clean. After a while, you begin to realize that many of the rugs you are going to deal with are pet odor issues. Some of them can be dealt with using an extractor or Cimex/etc, but many of them are going to have to be immersion washed to properly clean. Contacting the source of the odor is paramount, and you can't achieve that with 'normal' extraction or encap procedures. But the equipment needed to wash a rug is fairly minimal, and you can grow into it with added equipment down the road. You will need some shop or garage space.

Perhaps you can take care of the basic ones yourself, and partner with a plant to bring them ones you feel nervous about. That way, you are still providing the service for your client. We clean rugs for a number of cleaning and restoration companies in our area, so you may even be able to take rugs to a friendly competitor in your town. Sometimes a little networking will pay off in ways you never imagined!

There is a wealth of information on this board and the internet in general on rug cleaning. DON'T invest in expensive equipment before you have the volume to justify it!
Excellent advice there.
Thanks for sharing those insights Kevin.