• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Water Marks in carpet after encapping?
I have recently encapped some carpets for a customer and they have called me to say that the carpets now have water marks on them as a result of me cleaning them. Can anyone advise me on how this could have happened and what the best method to get rid of them is. Am I better to go and fix it with hwe or should I encap it with another type of encap product. thanks
I think you should go and see what exactly "water marks" are.
Have the customer take a pic of the problem and send it to you.
Unless you soaked the carpet I am unsure what they mean.
Are they possibly talking about three round rings where you may have set the Cimex down stationary for a short time & left circles in the carpet.

Good advice above from Lee, follow up with what he has said.

Cool
I don't regret my past, I just regret the times I've wasted with the wrong people.
Take me as I am, or watch me as I go.
I'll retire when I can no longer do what I love, or I no longer love what I can do.
Stop moving, start dying........
Shorty brings up a good possibility.

Can you post pictures? It's hard to visualize what's caused this.
Im away to have a look at it today. if I over wetted it should I hwe it now. will that solve it?
Normally, water spotting shouldn't occur with encap cleaning. Moisture should be kept to a minimum when encap cleaning is performed correctly, so it's not common to see water marking. Make sure you're cleaning is very even, and avoid allowing the carpet to become wetter in some sections. Strive for EVEN light distribution of the solution throughout the entire carpet.

Now, how to correct a carpet that has water/moisture related markings. (Avoid HWE on a carpet that is prone to wicking) Clean it again using minimal moisture. Bonnet cleaning works well for this. And using Encap-HydrOx is the bomb for correcting any water mark discoloration / wicking. Lightly applying Encap-Hydrox and running over the carpet again with bonnets should do the trick to resolve any lingering issue you may be seeing. Place some fans on the carpet too in order to speed dry the carpet. But like I said above, photos would help to confirm that.
Here is a photo. I only have dynamall, surround and chemspec encapbrite. The encap I used on this job was omega. What should I do. thanks for the help.

"I only have dynamall, surround and chemspec encapbrite.  The encap I used on this job was omega.  What should I do. thanks for the help."

I know I may sound like a wisenheimer  saying this. But you might possibly want to consider swapping out the encap detergents you're using. There really and truly is a huge difference in performance between brands of encap products! If that's all you can get ahold of, you could try using one of those products - following the directions that I outlined above. Utilize controlled low moisture, making sure that everything is smoothly and evenly cleaned. Using bonnets and fans can help you to maintain a limited amount of moisture. And if  there's anyway that you can get your hands on some Encap-Hydrox it will definitely bump things in the right direction for you. Hope this info is helpful.
Rick, here is something I found, if you wish, you may delete it.

Cookie Monster, I know nothing at ll about the products you mention, but I do agree with what Rick has said.

I also find Hydrox brilliant.

Here's the story which MAY help you understand a little bit more about the products mentioned.

Credit to Kevin OBrien who posted on Cleanitup, a UK based CC'ers forum.

Jamie did this a few months ago hope he does not mind using it again great ref point for encap

Dynamall and Hydrox will need a longer dwell than Surround as they are on the acid side of the pH scale.

Looking at the main encap products I have used the difference between them is in their make up.

Dynamall contains detergent, deodoriser, copolymer protector, oxi booster (5%) and the encapsulation polymer

Surround contains detergent, encap polymer and perfume depending on version

Prochem Procaps - as Surround, Woolsafe approved.

Chemspec Rotobrite 2 - Detergent, encap polymer, hydrogen peroxide (5-10%)

HOS Environ - High Surfactancy for zero dwell and greasy soil, hydrogen peroxide (?%) encap polymer. CRI approved.

Releasit Hydrox contains Encap polymer, Hydrogen Peroxide (10%) & Detergent. It is also further on the acid side of the pH scale (3.5) making the additional booster more stable in the bottle and effective on problem acid side soils, its Crystalon HP polymer is different from the regular Crystalon 3 in the rest of the range to make it more compatible with the oxidiser for improved cleaning.

If protector is required it can be applied afterwards.

Why one worked better than the other will be down to the above factors/features of the product and obviously the carpet & soil type.
Obviously there is only so much "space" in concentration for each ingredient so choosing what you actually need for the job will determine what to use.

Dynamall gives you a bit of everything thrown into the mix making it a great all rounder.

The Releasit range lets you tailor what you actually require to get the maximum performance.

Basic - Straight cleaning and encapsulation (no perfume or protector) 1:16 or 1:32 dilution
DS1 & 2 - Double Strength with Flurochemical Protector, Tea Tree Extract 1:32 dilution
Bio - As DS1 & 2 but no protectoe and EDFA approved
Punch - Surfactant loaded for greasier areas and zero dwell time, Protector, Tea Tree Extract variable dilutions as a pre-spray (before DS2 or Basic), Extraction Rinse, Spotter, Bonnet Cleaner (doesn't foam like the others so better for spray application), Upholstery Cleaner (synthetics) CRI approved.
HydrOx - Cleaning & Encapsulation (acid side) with peroxide booster. The favourite for wool carpet, organic soils & spills and upholstery cleaning.

Surround, Procaps, Releasit Basic, Punch & DS2 could all be boosted with Sodium Percarbonate (Chemspec Energizer, Prochem Oxibrite, Craftex Energybryte) if desired. Not something I have found the need for with the Releasit range.

Cheers & good luck.
I don't regret my past, I just regret the times I've wasted with the wrong people.
I'll retire when I can no longer do what I love, or I no longer love what I can do.
Photo looks like it may be the carpet fiber is going two directions and one side is light and one side is dark. Common problem called shading and pooling. Fiber needs to be rewet and groomed with vacuum or carpet rake. Some carpets are worse than others. Fiber pads and some microfiber bonnets lift up the flat walked on areas and will make carpet look like this until it is walked on again......but i could be wrong looking at photo. Water marks or over wetting will turn fibers brown normally.
Joel may be right. It does look kind of like "shading" or "pooling" in the picture. Joel described that characteristic correctly. If that is in fact what you're dealing with (it's very hard to tell for sure from a photo),  re-wetting, and grooming may help the condition. But it may just take some time walking on it to smooth out the appearance. And it may be non-correctable, because "shading", "pooling", "water marking" can be a condition of the carpet itself (not a cleaning error); and that condition can often impossible to correct.  

Here's a link from the Carpet & Rug Institute explaining this phenomenon (if that is in fact what you're looking at)...
CRI - Water marking, pooling, pile reversal
thanks for the advice guys. I ha originally thought about hwe to fix it but am now thinking I should encap it again but with dynamall this time as It is good for browning and maybe this is what the marks are. Do you think this is the best thing to do? the carpet was not marked like this before I cleaned it.
Any update on how this turned out? I know I'm a little late to the party here, but to me it looks like the carpet may just need vacuumed really well. Maybe even combine the vacuuming with the use of a crb (dry) or pile lifter. I have seen what appears to be the same problem as your picture shows a few times. Every time it has happened it was on carpet that seemed to have a never ending supply of dry soil, combined with foot traffic during a longer than usual dry time. My assumption is that you are simply seeing the encap process do its thing. You can just visually see it this time as the (possibly over applied) encap polymer is "encapsulating" the abundance of dry soil. The darker areas are where the foot traffic has broken the polymers and/or wet the carpet. In my cases, the quick fix to restore the appearance of the carpet has been to vacuum and or crb the carpet.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
  Reply   Purge Spammer
I done the job again with dynamal and have not heard back from the customer so it has maybe fixed the issue. Thanks for the help everyone.
Cookiemonster, did you contact the client to find out if they are happy with the job??

I always like to do a follow-up call to see if they have any concerns.

I would rather they tell me, than someone else.

Many won't contact you to tell you.

They just won't get you again next time.

Cool