• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
patches and other funny shapes on carpet - post encap
I have regularly used our Duplex 420 to clean carpets in the past but have recently moved over to encapsulation.  After reading and reading and reading your various posts we decided to give try Releasit. 

The carpet is demonstrably cleaner and we think more thoroughly cleaned however.....we ended up with two problems

First problem was the odd shading (see pics)

Second problem was the divets in the carpet left by bed casters and furniture legs - see other pics.

I am not sure if we are getting the carpet to wet or if it's something else but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

And thanks for the hundreds of posts I have read... an absolute treasure of information and experience on carpet cleaning

Attached Files Image(s)

Reply   Purge Spammer
It's hard to tell for sure from those pics, but it kind of looks like color loss. Is it possible that there were some bleach spots? One possible culprit is acne medicine. It WILL bleach the carpet. And it can show up AFTER cleaning. https://shawfloors.com/flooring/how-to/c...-of-carpet. If it is bleaching, color restoration would be needed.

Crushed carpet indentations from heavy furniture, can leave permanent impressions on the carpet. That's not a condition that cleaning can alter.

Overall the carpet looks great though.
My original thoughts was that we used too much solution (because the same patterns appeared in 3 out of 6 units we did) - which caused both problems and it seems that is probably the case. So we will reduce for the next apartment and see how we go.. That's the beauty of having 35 apartments .... we get to keep going and try new stuff until we get it right!.

The carpets indents were only there after we had cleaned the carpets in the places where we put the furniture to move it out the way to clean the carpet (and then move it back) I have tried and am able to brush out the indents, although it's a little labour intensive. As in the previous sentence, I will let you know what happens when we do the next lot of carpets this week with a reduced amount of solution.

thanks for taking the time to answer
  Reply   Purge Spammer
Looks like those might be bleach spots. A common cause of bleach spots is possibly benzoyl peroxide (found in acne medicine). Are there teenagers in the home? Some types of bleach spots can be activated when you clean the carpet.

Here's a quote from Shaw's website:
"Most acne medication used today conatains benzoyl peroxide which is a powerful oxidizing agent, meaning that it is capable of bleaching dyed products. Despite your best efforts it is possible that you may see loss of color in your carpet which is not covered under most residential carpet warranties."

If these are bleach spots, you'd need to dye the spots. There is nothing that can be done for indentations from heavy furnitute.
anfsec, you answered your own question, as Rick also answered  (which I missed originally).

Second problem was the divets in the carpet left by bed casters and furniture legs.

Crushed carpet indentations from heavy furniture, can leave permanent impressions on the carpet. That's not a condition that cleaning can alter. 

Unfortunately, when heavy furniture is left on the carpet in one spot for a period of time, it becomes crushed and the fiber "loses it's tension memory".

Or in other words, it's due to the collapsing of pile yarns, resulting in carpet matting and loss of resilience.

I have read of some using ice on these spots & then teasing the fibers back up again, (similar to what you have done), BUT, as soon as weight is put back on the area again, it crushes back down because it has lost it's resilience.

Synthetic carpets are the worst for this, wool has a natural resilience.

Regarding the patchiness, are you referring to the dark & lighter lines??

It could be "Shading".

Apparent color shade difference between areas of the same carpet caused by normal wear and/or random difference in pile lay direction. It is a characteristic of cut pile carpet. It is not a defect. - See more at: https://www.staticworx.com/articles/esd_....php#tabr5

Or, if you are still using the CRB, it could simply be the way the machine is being worked across the carpet. It looks very similar to vacuum lines.
IE: You push the vac or CRB in one direction, then pull it back overlapping the area you have done, causing the pile to lay in a different direction thereby casting light refraction differently, and the carpet looks as per your photo's.

Groom the carpet after cleaning with a Grandi Groom.
Cool
I don't regret my past, I just regret the times I've wasted with the wrong people.
Take me as I am, or watch me as I go.
I'll retire when I can no longer do what I love, or I no longer love what I can do.
Stop moving, start dying........