• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hey Rod (update on my Cimex head not spinning)
the Cimex head would stop spinning with the slightest bit of pressure i put on it. i replaced the thin stock cord with a Kodiak cord, didn't fix the problem (i was thinking maybe not enough power was getting to the motor through that skinny little cord.)

tonight i'd finally had enough (i don't procrastinate too much.) i've had a spare belt for the past 5 years so i finally got around to replacing the belt, VOILA! the head spins non-stop now. i should'a did that sooner! took me all of 15 minutes. followed the directions to replace it that i found somewhere on the site/forums here.

a belated thanx for the assistance a few months back Rod Cool
I have an extra belt in stock too! I was hoping that if I had one in stock, that would mean the original would never break. Working so far...
lol. good thinking Kev! now i can pick the wheels up off the ground and push down on on the head for tough spots. i thought the belt would have teeth, amazing it can turn the pulley with it being smooth.
Hey Derek,

Glad to hear the belt replacement was easy for you. They're not hard to replace. It's kinda nice how the Cimex belts gradually wear out with increased slippage over time, giving you advance notice that a belt replacement is on its way. In fact with all the Cimex's we've sold and serviced, I don't think I've ever heard of a sudden belt failure, but it's just like you experienced - the belt just starts to slip more and more.

On a side note: Belt slippage is more common during the winter months since the cold metal contracts slightly, and the rubber belt also gets stiffer when it's really cold. That's another good reason to lift the Cimex head and let it spin for a few seconds before placing the head on the carpet to begin cleaning.
good point about the cold Rick, i forgot about that. hey, 1st belt replacement going on 9 years and 2 Cimex's .... not bad!
(02-18-2013, 02:36 PM)encapman Wrote: Hey Derek,

Glad to hear the belt replacement was easy for you. They're not hard to replace. It's kinda nice how the Cimex belts gradually wear out with increased slippage over time, giving you advance notice that a belt replacement is on its way. In fact with all the Cimex's we've sold and serviced, I don't think I've ever heard of a sudden belt failure, but it's just like you experienced - the belt just starts to slip more and more.

On a side note: Belt slippage is more common during the winter months since the cold metal contracts slightly, and the rubber belt also gets stiffer when it's really cold. That's another good reason to lift the Cimex head and let it spin for a few seconds before placing the head on the carpet to begin cleaning.

BlushBlushBlush

Rick, Blush how long should the drive belt last ?

Guess I'm lucky to live where it's always slightly warm except for two weeks of the year when it freezes to about 52F

Reason I ask is because I've had a spare belt for seven years now, and I'm still on my original. Blush

ALSO, since day one, I've always lifted the head and spun prior to putting on the carpet.

Huh
(02-18-2013, 05:48 PM)Cairnswun Wrote: except for two weeks of the year when it freezes to about 52F

oh man that ain't cold!!!! Undecided
Shorty, I think you must be living in the right zone for maximum belt wear. There's no set wear pattern on belts. I've heard of guys getting unusually long belt wear (like you're getting), and I've heard of guys having to replace them after a couple of years. There are variables in the way belts wear including climate, lifting the head before starting, types of carpet cleaned, etc.
I have a spare also i just bought it when we had summerfest at excellent supply. I don't remember when i bought my cimex Rick might know ? I'm still on my original belt too.