• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to get over the "hey that's not how the other guys do it"
Now i know one of the responses i will get is go in and do a awesome job, i agree with this, but but....a lot of times carpet is subjective meaning when you get done some can always wonder if it could be better... unless you do a side by side comparison, I won;t lie there has been times when i have not done encaping when i knew it would do a better job but i knew they would not understand... also times where i have set the wand and hoses down in the room just to avoid questions .... if i could in 5 years i would be 100% encaping and 90% of it would be commercial
"If you keep doing what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got".

Nicolas Joseph Cugnot started making automobiles, his machines transported people in a different manner to how horses did.

Imagine if we didn't have plumbing, no more high rise buildings, carrying that bucket of water to the top would keep you fit.

I could go on & on, but I reckon you get the drift......

DON'T keep doing the same as the others.

Look at doing things differently.

Stand out from the crowd.

Cut your list from 5 to 2.

In the words of Nike, "Just do it".
With someone questioning your methods, you can always point to your education, certifications, the fact that you work with many carpet retailers, interior designers, property managers and real estate professionals. You can also explain that you like to keep abreast with the latest technology in the industry and pursue greener methods and chemistry.

Quite often, even after all that, they may still not believe a word you SAY, but they will be impressed by their own eyes after you have done an outstanding job. The people who are the most skeptical or who have the most questions will often turn into your biggest cheerleaders after they see the results of your hard work.
Kinda funny but I have more people impressed with my crb than the wand..just yesterday I had a guy say " wow ! Now that machine is impressive" my response was thank you, but the cleaning solution is what's truly impressive! I have only really been questioned by a small few and my response is more about the cleaning ability of the "new" encap solutions. Explain about no wick backs and no rapid resoil and they are all ears.. Most of my clients have used me for years and don't question it and actually love the dry time. They know if I'm satisfied with it they sure will be. Even if all I did was hwe I would only use encap it makes sense!
My observation (not criticism) is that those of us who struggle with confidently doing low moisture cleaning over HWE is that some of us don't feel truly confident with the method or in some cases just don't believe in it. Or we're not sure how to explain it when pressed.

I can honestly say that I have been questioned once over method in the past year. Where I feel appropriate I explain to a customer what method I am using and why before I commence. The response normally is "well you're the professional I trust you know what you are doing". Other times I just confidently go about my business and there are never any questions asked (well once).

I think a lot of the time this issue is in our own minds not the customers, and if we aren't totally confident with our method then customers sniff something's not right and ask the question.

So go forth and be confident IMO. Of course Encap is one of the tools in the arsenal (as has been said many times before) pick the right tool for the job and there won't be an issue IMO.
I love Encap and I think it shows with the customers.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Cheers

Jamie
I remember when I first switched away from HWE on our commercial carpet cleaning accounts. I was worried that my customers would have an issue with it. But I was shocked - NOBODY ever questioned me.

Well that's not exactly true, one (count 'em ONE) male store employee asked me where the extractor was. After I assured him that the Cimex is a stout machine with 3 planetary drivers turning in opposite directions to scrub deeply he seemed to be satisfied, and he never questioned me about it again.

Actually, instead of hearing negative comments about the new way we were cleaning - what we got was a lot of positive comments. Common comments were - WOW! That's an impressive looking machine! Or - hey that's new! Always the reaction was positive. So I learned that the apprehension I had toward bringing the Cimex into our accounts and no longer providing HWE was all in my head and that it really wasn't a big deal at all for our customers.

Now other carpet cleaners may question my methods. Who cares? When I first started sharing what I had discovered on the message boards - the HWE crowd ripped me a new one. Big deal, I can handle a little abuse. However many of the sharper guys in our industry sat up and began to take notice, and since 2001 the encap method has continued to gain traction. Yet some of those poor HWE/only fellas still have their heads buried in the sand. Too bad for them. As Seinfeld's Soup Nazi put it... "No Soup For You!"
This post is pretty ironic.

Check out what I put up on the Aussie forum yesterday.

Post subject: Have you changed you mind??

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:05 am

Full name: K.O. (Shorty) Glanville
Business name: Get Shorty
Years in business: 1+
Interests: P'graphy, women, alcohol, I'm a self confessed foodaholic, travel, all facets of the industry I'm in. LIVING EVERY DAY LIKE IT'S MY LAST !!!.

What is your perception NOW of the ENCAP process compared to what you thought say, five years ago??

It appears that many of the previous naye sayers, are now aye sayers.

For me, it is just another tool in the box to help me along.

But I do feel that it is a GOLD PLATED tool for me, used as it is supposed to be used.

:angel:

Take me as I am, or watch me as I go.

As for the replies, it's amazing how many of the hwe guys that knocked me and my Big Yella, now use encap;

Ahh, Karma is a b itch. :-)

Meanwhile, I'm laughing all the way to you know where. ;-)
My goal to not have to buy another truck mount to keep the one i have but to use it less and less and to maybe get 13 more year out it which could be hard...
what Jamie said. often the client who isn't confident in our ability feels that way due to our own lack of self confidence...they can see it plainly that we aren't sure about this "new" method. i was the same way when i started out with VLM. it went away with time. i was even more so that way when i was using portable HWE machines and i had to run 2 electric cords into the client's home...idk why i was over-worried about it but i was.
Derek, your not the only one who feels or felt that way. LOL I did also.
I could care less about what other people think as long as my customers and I are happy with the results. I have been in this business for over 25 years. I first was introduced to encap cleaning when we first started using Dry Foam. Now with improvements in the chemicals, it almost works in every situation. We do have a Rotovac, and a VonSchrader LMX , it just depends on the situation. I did a commercail job about three years ago, it looked good when we left however, the next day I recived a phone call ( you know the one that I am talking about). I did a little research and found a video on You Tube from Xerion Solutions comparing HWE to Encap cleaning. I ordered their product and used it on that commercial job, lets just say that we got paid. Offering more methods just gives us the chance to earn more $$$$
I, too, worried about it when I started doing all my commercial accounts with encap instead of HWE. However, once I figured out how to explain it short, sweet, and to the point and only when asked about it, then all that anxiety went away. I am selling clean and it doesn't matter to people how I get there as long as they perceive it as clean when I am finished. I also struggled with this for a while in my rug cleaning plant. Then I realized that no two rug cleaners ever do anything exactly the same. If you are trying to explain it to every customer, stop that. Just sell them on the fact that you can clean it and they will be happy.
(03-07-2013, 09:44 AM)prodrying Wrote: However, once I figured out how to explain it short, sweet, and to the point and only when asked about it, then all that anxiety went away .... If you are trying to explain it to every customer, stop that. Just sell them on the fact that you can clean it and they will be happy.

exactly Kevin! well said.
We need to get out of the Carpet Cleaning Business and get into
The People Pleasing Business, once we do that you will never need to explain
your cleaning method again