• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Residential Carpet Cleaning
Most of the time I will first clean residential carpets with my VonSchrader LMX. Like a CRB, it will pull all kinds of crap out of the carpet even though I vacuumed first, then I will go back over the carpet with a 175/300 using an encap product. Carpets are usually dry by the time I leave and always look great. I then tell my customer to vacuum the next day and explain to them how encapsulation works. Never had a client tell me that they had a problem with vacuuming the next day. I get a lot of repeat business.
Ditto.

I like the machine a lot, but this is my concern as well.

Do you ever just hook it up to the water heater directly or maybe an outside spigot?

Also, you mentioned using your OP second. You don't find a need to agitate the pre-spray prior to using the SD?

Thanks!

(05-03-2013, 01:40 PM)MikeB Wrote: [quote='Hoss' pid='3134' dateline='1367586319']
I use the Demon in occupied residential. It cuts in around furniture very well. I looked at other portable extractors, but the number of cords and the amps they would draw put me off. The Demon does need to be attached to the local hot water supply - it comes with fittings for most faucets - just unscrew the end and attach. And, the discharge goes into a toilet or other suitable drain. With access to a bathroom or kitchen sink and a good 20 amp outlet you have a 50 ft range of cleaning. It draws 14 amps. With the hose extensions, you have a 100 ft range. But, most residential interior is less that 50' from a water / electrical supply.

Robert, do you ever have issues regarding hook up or discharge options in homes?
I love the idea of the Demon. I just think some of my customers are fussy enough to cringe at the thought of someone unscrewing their faucet screen and having a hose hanging from it.
Can't please everyone i know, but just wondered if it's ever been an issue for you.
With our process we vacuum first, pre-spray, use the LMX to agitate the carpets, clean with the LMX, go back over it a 2nd time with a 175, and finally rake the carpets. It is a long process however the results are real good.
You need a drain to discharge, so even though you could hook it up to a hot water heater, that may not be convenient. Many of the homes in this region use tank-less hot water systems - so there may not even be a traditional hot water tank. The power supply, discharge hose, and supply hose are all bundled/wrapped in a clear plastic sleeve so you don't have four cords/hoses going all over the place. Each can be extended, but the easiest process is to use a bathroom sink, a toilet for discharge, and a good 20 AMP outlet that can handle a hair drier. The Demon is only supposed to draw 12-14 AMPS but it think it may surge above that a bit. I am not sure what the concern is about connecting to a faucet - haven't had anyone express that yet. But, if their carpet is really bad and needing the Demon it may be that they would not be too concerned about their faucet.

I use a small vise grip to remove the faucet screen / aerator - the vise grip teeth are wrapped in duct-tape so they do not scratch the finish. It takes about three or four minutes to set up - if the screen / aerator comes off easily. A utility sink is even easier for supply and discharge, but you need to put a mesh strainer in the drain so that you don't clog their pipes with debris.

On the plus side, many home owners / property owners have never removed their aerators before and there is usually build-up in the screens that should be cleaned out. When you re-install the aerator, the faucet flow is usually much better than it has been in years.

For a truly trashed residential carpet the steps I use are - 1. Vacuum with backpack vacuum and get the big stuff and edges followed by the regular beater brush vacuum 2. Pre-spray and agitate with carpet rake 3. Demon extraction 4. Punch or Hydrox pre-spray stains/ traffic lanes 5. Orbots with bonnets - Sprayborg and Micro. 5. Groom with carpet rake.

For a normal residential the process is the same minus the Demon. For any dorm room or empty rental unit or condo in transition, I would advise using the full process with the Demon. You are really giving the new tenant a fresh clean start with a nicely protected carpet and a raised nap.

(05-06-2013, 08:53 PM)TheCleaningDude Wrote: Ditto.

I like the machine a lot, but this is my concern as well.

Do you ever just hook it up to the water heater directly or maybe an outside spigot?

Also, you mentioned using your OP second. You don't find a need to agitate the pre-spray prior to using the SD?

Thanks!

Robert, do you ever have issues regarding hook up or discharge options in homes?
I love the idea of the Demon. I just think some of my customers are fussy enough to cringe at the thought of someone unscrewing their faucet screen and having a hose hanging from it.
Can't please everyone i know, but just wondered if it's ever been an issue for you.
[/quote]
Robert Balliot
President
Hoss Home Care, LLC
http://hosshomecare.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/robertballiot
Thanks for the info, Robert.

Do you use a HWE pre-spray or an encap pre-spray with the Demon?
Robert,

In your opinion, how would the SD do on a carpet like this?

I would use the Demon on this carpet first to extract, and follow up with the Sprayborg. I think it would do a great job. I have worked with dirtier carpets using that process. Looks like someone worked as a mechanic at a gas station.

I use HWE pre-spray with the Demon.
Robert Balliot
President
Hoss Home Care, LLC
http://hosshomecare.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/robertballiot
Do you realize that it is on the first page of google for the keyword phrase “carpet cleaning forum”?
  Reply   Purge Spammer