• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Motel room prices?
I was wondering if some of you would chime in and tell me what you'd price the following project at. Obviously, there will be a range that will vary from geographic location and other factors. But just a general consensus - because, quite frankly, I got a bit of a shock today and want to see just how out of touch with reality I am.

Specs:

An EconoLodge motel. 70 normal sized (for an EconoLodge or other large chain motel) guest rooms (suppose an average of 264 sq.ft.) 12 suites, which is a bit of an extended room length, divided with a knee wall to create a sitting area with a couch and coffee table (average 300 sq.ft.) Carpet is not in terrible shape but needs cleaning. Also in this area is 40 chairs to be cleaned, with only the seat being upholstered (standard dining room chairs for motels.)

Also being cleaned is the dining/breakfast area - 500 sq.ft. of carpet that REALLY needs to be cleaned. Then another 500 sq.ft. of really impacted carpet consisting of 2 offices and the area behind the front desk - all adjoining.

Beds and dressers in the rooms will not be moved. The oversized chairs, bedside tables, etc. will be moved.

Motel can block off between 10 and 20 rooms per day to be cleaned.

So.... what's a fair price, do you think? I will tell you now that I already bid on it and was told this afternoon that my price is twice what any other bidding company put forth - and I was kind of blown away by that. Granted, I haven't done any hospitality places in several years but I thought my prices were fair (though not cheap.) Uh... guess not.
I can understand that you got a bit of a shock - welcome to the world of Motel cleaning. It is shocking, $8 a room is about average for motel rooms in our area. Cleaning hotel/motel rooms is normally incredibly CHEAP. Hotel banquet/meeting rooms and common areas such as lobbies and hallways can sometimes bring some decent money, but the rooms are not generally worth messing with IMHO.
Thanks, Rick. I found that out today and was... wow. The last time I did hotel rooms was back around 2005 or 2006 and was rather easily getting between $20 and $25 per room. I knew prices have dropped so today I put in at $18/room and apparently that was more than twice any other bid. (In fact, if you'll remember, you got an email this morning from your staff about this subject.)

How does anyone make a living at those rates? That's less than $0.04/sq.ft. for a one-time restorative clean, if my math is correct.

That's (in my opinion) crazy.

I'm thinking I'd like to go back a few days after it's cleaned and do a free demo in the dining area just for contrast - then laugh when they ask for a price to match the rest of it up.

Sorry for the rant - it just really irritates me to no end. I have no problem losing a bid, but people charging prices that low - well, you know.
Yep there too cheap to touch JMO.
Think the cheap labor is crazy wait until you try to get paid
Yeah I got the same shock years ago. I actually did a couple several years ago for ok money about $12 per room but made good money on the other areas.
The pain in the a$$ was the areas would be all over the place, never what they said initially and it takes along time to complete. I was very lucky about getting paid. I was going on vacation prior to finishing one of them and the guy actually paid me for all of it prior to completion, without me even asking or expecting it. The other paid within a week.
Don't assume the guys doing this are hacks, we can all go in after someone else and show what they didn't do, dirt in carpet, etc. There usually just guys starting out and trying to fill there schedule.
I wouldn't touch them currently but I guess never say never.
David,

For the chairs I would charge $5 each. I do chairs in motel rooms backs & seats for $10 ea. I get $14 a room and .17 sf for hallways & lobby. I clean for a local no name motel and the manager always says she has no problem with what I charge. This place wants quality. It also has 12 cabins on the property which we clean the ones that need it. These are billed separately cause they are privately owned but managed by the motel. This is a seasonal place so when I find out when they will open, I arrange to clean before opening day and save a couple of days just for them. Most motels no matter what the name is on the building are cheap. $8-$10 per room on average. If anyone behind the desk or manager last name is PATEL, keep walking.
Thanks for all the input. Just FYI - as I said, I lost the bid because my prices were too high. But I got along pretty well with the GM and know that the project went out for just under $850. The second highest bid was right around $975. Mine (the highest) was well over twice that amount. So, I'm not surprised I lost it - just surprised at how low prices have actually fallen.