• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Micro beast vs polyprop!
Encaped using a fibre plus pad with solution being fed from the tank on my 390rpm polivac...No dramas , looked great as always but being a resi. job I thought Id better throw a micro beast under the machine and just hit the traffic areas as I finished up.
All the sudden the machine bit hard I must have hit a dry patch....
[Image: IMG_1373_zps29011989.jpg]

PANIC!!!!! I had melted the top of the polyprop with the edge of one of the blue scrubbing strips(I think)

Got it back to this after half hour of delicately scraping the crispy bits with a cheap packet of shavers.
[Image: IMG_1374_zps7519693c.jpg]

Its still not perfect but the customer was very very understanding. (need to go buy a lotto ticket)

Just posting this as a warning to others to always always make sure your pads are wet!!!!!

AngryAngryAngry
Yes, olefin/polypropelene has a very low heat set. It will melt at a low temperature. I've actually seen where folks have scuffed their feet on olefin with their heels and left little melted spots.

Your 390 rpm machine may be a little too fast for olefin. And this is a good reminder for everyone to keep olefin lubricated with solution and also keep the machine moving - avoiding slowing down or standing in one spot.

Thank you for sharing your story with everyone here. It's a helpful reminder! I can imagine the horror you felt as you saw that happen. At least you were able to improve the appearance to a nearly new condition.
P.S. Been there done that too - on a job about 20 years ago.
You only do that one once. Wink
Yes, try high RPM and NO lubrication in your car and see what happens!
Rod Clarkin
Excellent Supply 727-821-2020 
been using that speed of a buffer on carpet for years, never had that happen but I do understand how it can. Always make sure pads are well lubricated, I did get a few lines from very hot solution lines once I lucked out on that one also
Firstly thank you for posting this Simon. It's not easy letting your peers know something we've done wrong but it does certainly help us all.

I use the exact same machine as you Simon with solution tank and I use the micro beasts as well. I am yet to have that issue but boy is your post a great reminder on that potential issue. Sometimes we can easily become a little complacent and the ramifications can be very costly. A great reminder to us all I think.

Was your solution tank still relatively full. This added weight may have added to the problem as well.

Great job fixing it up mate.

Cheers

Jamie
Yeah Its a bit embarrassing posting your stuff ups for all to see but I thought it was one of those things worth making everyone mindful of, hey you may as well learn from my mistake.
Jamie the solution tank was half full ( shoulda pulled the bloody trigger!!!) but it happened so fast and easily that I don't think approx 4kg extra was to blame.
Lesson learnt!!
Amazing job at fixing that carpet!

Look at the bright side, things could have been a lot worse.
Wow! that would wake you up on a job! Thanks for sharing. Glad it worked out for you! Looks good in the after pics!
Mike Becker
All-Dry Cleaning Services
Carpet Cleaning Mendota, IL
[Image: 3t35ty.jpg]

Just kiddin!!!!Big Grin
Yep that pretty much sums up how I felt when I saw the result of my "professional workmanship"

I figure "stuff" happens, Its how you deal with it that counts. And not making the same mistake again!
Judd that was cold!
But it was funny. LOL
Thanks for putting yourself out there. Good info! Glad it worked out for you.
If I started posting my mistakes I'd get banned for sure! Lol!