This message board has been upgraded to a new forum with a number of user improvements.
You are currently viewing archived posts from the original EncapBoard (2002-2012).
Please visit the NEW EncapBoard carpet cleaning forum at http://Forum.Excellent-Supply.com to join an active online community for commercial carpet cleaning.

RETURN TO INDEX  

Enjoying the commercial selling process

May 3 2009 at 9:45 AM
Fred Gruber  

We have increased our commercial carpet maintenance accounts tremendously in the past year, thanks in great part to Rick Gelinas' helpful info. The commercial work we picked up has helped stabilize our business in this tough economy.

I have never considered myself a good salesperson. I always counted on my work (and strikingly good looks) to get new customers and it has always served me well but in the last few years, I noticed that many of my repeat customers weren't cleaning as often as they used to and many aren't spending as much as they used to (due to the media hype about the economy). We are still getting a ton of new referrals each year but it's still not enough to keep us as busy as we want to be. Being mindful of this has forced me to come out of my shell and become a savvy marketer for commercial work. I am really enjoying the whole sales process, especially when I land a new account. I enjoy making up sales letters, calling prospects and visiting office buildings. I especially enjoy going out and doing demos. I've become almost addicted to finding potential prospects.

It's nice to know that we have a certain amount of work lined up each month, before the phone even rings once. We also have a lot of proposals out there for future work to come our way. At the rate we are going, it's going to be a challenge to fit in the residential work that we have. That's a challenge we will look forward to.

I know I will build up my business to a point where I will have a few crews cleaning for me and an office staff doing my paperwork, while I go out and focus on getting more accounts.

There are still tons of opportunities out there to make money, you just have to keep your ears and eyes open to find them.

This message has been edited by ftgjr on May 3, 2009 9:48 AM

AuthorReply
Jeff B

Inspiring Post

May 3 2009, 10:49 AM 

Thanks for the inspiring post!

Joe Gilstrap

Re: Inspiring Post

May 3 2009, 12:39 PM 

Yea, that was a great post. I get the same feeling calling on commercial accounts as I do when I go to the doctor for an invasive procedure. I envy your enthusiam Fred. I just have a difficult time proceeding with any type of proposal after seeing the look of dread from my prospective client. I seem to have a knack for finding decision makers that have little concern for their carpeting. I have even spoke with some who snickered at the idea of maintaining carpet. I sometimes feel that I would have more success selling a cure for baldness. HA!

I guess I am one of those guys that wants to be wanted. LOL!

Thankfully, our residential side is doing very well. I just like commercial better.

But you have definitely encouraged me Fred. Many thanks, and post often. Surely I am not the only one that has this kind of trouble.

This message has been edited by joeg345 on May 3, 2009 12:40 PM

Fred Gruber

Re: Inspiring Post

May 3 2009, 5:07 PM 

Joe. I felt the same way as you at first. I felt very awkward walking into places or cold calling people. When I finally got the decision maker on the phone or in person, I thought I was going to do my best Ralph Kramden impersination "hamana hamana hamana, it can core a apple". I thought that these people would think "what does this bozo want and why is he wasting our time"

I eventually overcame that feeling when I eventually got someone who was interested and asked me to give them a quote and became even more confident when I landed my first account.

Iv'e thus since refined my approach and feel that I come across more confident, which has produced better results.

If I can do it, anyone can do it.

Shorty

Commercial Conquests Conquers Cringing

May 3 2009, 6:04 PM 

I also agree with Fred on his most excellent post.

Commercial is the ducks guts for me.

Along with Rick's CMS system, I have also been reading & implementing:

Cold Calling Techniques (That Really Work) (20th edition)

By Stephan Schiffman

ISBN 10: 1-59869-148-1

ISBN 13: 978-1-59869-148-1

I got my book from Amazon & thoroughly recommend it.

I also recently joined a BNI chapter which is also paying dividends in the commercial sector.

We have 3 BNI chapters in my area, I picked the one with the most commercial members on board. wink.gif

An old saying goes something like:

" A journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step"

After that first step, the rest start to get easier as you become more familiar with the terrain you are entering.

Ooroo,

Shorty.

I've seen the light, and changed my wicked ways. wink.gif
www.get.shorty.com.au

Rick Gelinas

Approaching prospects

May 4 2009, 2:53 PM 

Nice posts above!

Thanks for sharing your observations Fred.

FRED WROTE:
"Joe. I felt the same way as you at first. I felt very awkward walking into places or cold calling people. When I finally got the decision maker on the phone or in person, I thought I was going to do my best Ralph Kramden impersination "hamana hamana hamana, it can core a apple". I thought that these people would think "what does this bozo want and why is he wasting our time"

I eventually overcame that feeling when I eventually got someone who was interested and asked me to give them a quote and became even more confident when I landed my first account.

Iv'e thus since refined my approach and feel that I come across more confident, which has produced better results.

If I can do it, anyone can do it."

I've learned a trick to help me get past this fear of approaching people (yes, I've experienced this fear too). There are two things that I run through my mind before I approach a prospect (regardless of how posh the place is):

1. They're just people. Don't forget that. Regardless of how nice their Lexus sitting in the parking lot might be - they're still people. Just like you. So remind yourself of that. They have a mate and children and a mortgage, etc. They have hopes and dreams and concerns. Just like you. So don't let them freak you out with their stylish haircut.

2. Keep in mind that they NEED what you're offering them. They really do. Their business needs and deserves to have clean carpet. You can save them money on their cleaning. You can extend the life of their carpet. You can make their indoor environment nicer for them to work all day. And you can make it more attractive for their clients to do business with them.

So you're NOT a pest! Far from it. You are a hero. So forge ahead and conquer your fears. Your success depends on your ability to march straight into the decision maker's office and show him or her how your cleaning system can and will improve the workplace where they spend 8 hours a day (1/3 of their life).

Go for it happy.gif

encapman.gif
Rick Gelinas

Current Topic - Enjoying the commercial selling process
RETURN TO INDEX  
EncapBoard Guidelines: 
This forum has been provided by Excellent Supply Inc for sharing information about encapsulation cleaning technology and the business of commercial carpet cleaning.  
Excellent Supply Inc and its agents assume no responsibility for the accuracy of information displayed on this message board. You alone are responsible for any repercussions resulting from information posted here. Content posted on this message board may be used or published by Excellent Supply Inc. 
(1) Unauthorized advertising, promotion of rival products/brands, or listing items for sale without consent will not be permitted. 
(2) No profane, vulgar or abusive speech will be tolerated. Your privilege of posting may be blocked if you flame, use profanity, or are disrespectful. 
(3) We reserve the right to delete any post and block any  individual that we feel is inappropriate. 
(4) This forum is politically and religiously neutral, so please avoid discussing those subjects here.
(5) Maintain a good sense of humor! But keep it clean.
You are a guest here so we invite you to please post respectfully. Enjoy!

Cimex + Releasit = RESULTS
www.Excellent-Supply.com