This message board has been upgraded to a new forum with a number of user improvements.
You are currently viewing archived posts from the original EncapBoard (2002-2012).
Please visit the NEW EncapBoard carpet cleaning forum at http://Forum.Excellent-Supply.com to join an active online community for commercial carpet cleaning.

RETURN TO INDEX  

Help on wool airplane carpet

June 9 2009 at 11:17 AM
Micah  

I am supposed to do an airplane in a coupple weeks and am looking for suggestions. 100% wool carpet. I have done the two runners for it 6 or 8 times but now he want everything done. Don't want to mess it up on a 20 million dollar jet. Any help would be apprreciated.
Thanks,
Micah

AuthorReply

Rick Gelinas

Re: Help on wool airplane carpet

June 9 2009, 2:23 PM 

From a safe chemical standpoint, either Encap-Clean or Encap-HydrOx can be used safely and can achieve EXCELLENT results. It will clean up very well, and these products can be used on all colorfast wool, which a jet's carpet naturally would be. Let us know how you make out and be sure to bring your camera along too.

encapman.gif
Rick Gelinas

Shorty

Why "mess up"??

June 9 2009, 6:19 PM 

Micah, what problems do you think you might have with wool carpet ?

Why do you think you will have problems ?

Wool is just another fibre that is easy to clean, if you follow the rules.

This is my simple explanation.

Look at it this way, nylon, polypropylene, olefin & acrylic are all plastic, for a simple way of saying it.

If most are overwet, they take longer to dry.

Wool is a natural fibre that has scales formed around the core fibre.

When soiling gets into these scales, the wool looks dirty.

You have to get that out.

Because you have replaced the soiling with small amounts of water, that also takes longer to dry, and smells bad until it is dry.

Using the Cimex and Releasit is the best way I have found to successfully clean wool and get a quicker dry.

If you can run a bonnet over the carpet to help it dry, so much the better.

Even fans will help.

Most times I have never needed the bonnet or fans..

Don't be afraid of wool, it's not some nasty thing that is going to swallow you up.

All the best,

Shorty.

I've seen the light, and changed my wicked ways. wink.gif
www.get.shorty.com.au

Joe DeSouza

Re: Why "mess up"??

June 9 2009, 8:15 PM 

How do you guys clean a wool rug using cimex / releasit? do you use brushes or pads? Do you just encap it like you would any other carpet?

Ive encapped wool rugs before, but I always felt like the rug was cleaner if I HWE extracted it...thats just me...

what's you opinion?

Thanks!

Joe

Jeff

hey Shorty

June 10 2009, 7:17 AM 

I have cleaned wool using the soft brushes before I clean the same way as I do with a pad, meaning 1 wet pass 1-2 dry passes depending on soil level. What is your system for wool?

Shorty

Pulling wool over eyes.........

June 10 2009, 5:13 PM 

Wool area/Oriental rugs, I also use the soft brushes.

The same brushes also work well on stretched in carpet and I have no hesitation in using them.

I also clean in the same manner as you state.

These brushes can be a lot more gentle than kids playing with their toys, or people (Ladies) with high heels on the carpet, especially as you have already lubricated the fibre with a wet solution.

Fair dinkum, you Yanks and Canucks appear to have a big fear of wool, most of which is unfounded.

Wool is relatively easy to clean, just learn a bit more about it.

I highly recommend a Woolsafe or Wools of New Zealand course.

Ten or so years back, I was Australian member #16 of the Wools of New Zealand program.

I am also a Woolsafe technician.

Ooroo,

Shorty.

I've seen the light, and changed my wicked ways. wink.gif
www.get.shorty.com.au

This message has been edited by Shortwun on Jun 10, 2009 5:14 PM

Kevin Pearson

Re: Pulling wool over eyes.........

June 10 2009, 6:23 PM 

Like it has been said wool is realitively easy to clean. We use the Cimex and the pads. I know I am in the minority on using the pads but it doesn't seem to hurt the wool rugs we clean. We clean tons of rugs and use the pads on 99.99% of the rugs we clean. You can see our shop live at www.pearsoncarpetcare.com and click on webcam. We own brushes for the Cimex but they don't clean near as well as the pads. Some rugs will fuzz on you with the pads and some really thin rugs or ones with weak backings we will use the brushes.

The only problem you would have with the airplane is that you should have special insurance to work in a plane and it is pretty cost prohibitive unless you are cleaning a lot of planes. So remember if you do the job you most likely will be uninsured for that job. Talk to your agent and see before you go.

Al Taylor

June 11 2009, 3:15 AM 

With the help of Kevin Pearson, I just cleaned a wool rug that was pretty nasty. I used the beige FiberPlus pads from ex-supply.
I got really tweaked when I seen all the red natural fibers coming off onto the pads. I used Odorcide in the DS cause of the fish oils on the rug. Turned out great!

This message has been edited by cimex on Jun 11, 2009 6:02 AM

Thomas Owens

June 11 2009, 2:46 PM 

I clean 4 fairly large wool rugs every three months in the lobby of a building. The first time I used the Cimex with the soft brushes. I tried the pads, but it seemed to be a bit too aggressive.

There was a great amount of fiber that came off. I know this is typical for wool due to it being a staple fiber.

The next time I used my Icapsol(crb). It seemed to do just as good of a job, without as much fiber coming off.

I used DS and or Punch to clean with great results.

Kevin Pearson

June 11 2009, 6:21 PM 

The fuzz doesn't really bother me and it only does it on a few rugs. Plus if you keep the pads really wet the whole time it does it less. Most of the time I just keep the trigger squeezed and just go at a good pace, this insures the pads stay welled "lubed". Then you don't get a lot of fuzz. Alot of time we are also "soaping" them up while in the rug pit as the water is coming into our rug pit. So what works for me may not work for everyone. However, it doesn't seem to hurt the rugs.

Current Topic - Help on wool airplane carpet
RETURN TO INDEX  
EncapBoard Guidelines: 
This forum has been provided by Excellent Supply Inc for sharing information about encapsulation cleaning technology and the business of commercial carpet cleaning.  
Excellent Supply Inc and its agents assume no responsibility for the accuracy of information displayed on this message board. You alone are responsible for any repercussions resulting from information posted here. Content posted on this message board may be used or published by Excellent Supply Inc. 
(1) Unauthorized advertising, promotion of rival products/brands, or listing items for sale without consent will not be permitted. 
(2) No profane, vulgar or abusive speech will be tolerated. Your privilege of posting may be blocked if you flame, use profanity, or are disrespectful. 
(3) We reserve the right to delete any post and block any  individual that we feel is inappropriate. 
(4) This forum is politically and religiously neutral, so please avoid discussing those subjects here.
(5) Maintain a good sense of humor! But keep it clean.
You are a guest here so we invite you to please post respectfully. Enjoy!

Cimex + Releasit = RESULTS
www.Excellent-Supply.com