This message board has been upgraded to a new forum with a number of user improvements.
You are currently viewing archived posts from the original EncapBoard (2002-2012).
Please visit the NEW EncapBoard carpet cleaning forum at http://Forum.Excellent-Supply.com to join an active online community for commercial carpet cleaning.

RETURN TO INDEX  

bidding question

August 1 2009 at 10:19 PM

Joe DeSouza  

If bidding on a library with unmovable shelves, do you measure wall to wall and base your quote that way, or do you subtract for the shelves?

I ask because we just came back from cleaning one and I subtracted for the shelves. It was 20,000 feet wall to wall, I got 17,800 feet after subtracting the shelves and unmovable furniture, so thats what I based my bid on. Well, it took so long to clean around them!...I feel I just got my butt kicked!

Whats the proper way to measure libraries?

Thanks

Joe

PS I forgot to mention - I did a comparison between a Cimex and a Whittaker GLS on the worst part - the entranceway - and took pics...well, I dont think I even have to mention which one won out!

I will post pix soon, just too tired to do it tonite...

This message has been edited by jodyzuza on Aug 1, 2009 10:21 PM

AuthorReply
Bob Kinnarney

Re: bidding question

August 1 2009, 10:35 PM 

Me personally, I bid on what I am actually cleaning. It is an integerty thing with me. Why charge for something you are not cleaning? Libraries are not that big a deal to me. Look at the isles to see how dirty they are & price acordingly. But then again I have been doing this for over 30 years. Experience is priceless at this stage of the game. Win some, loose on some in the begining, after that you will most always be on the winning side.

Bob

David Hebert

August 2 2009, 2:32 PM 

I measure the whole thing and give my bid, I will not say I a cleaning X amount of carpeting that is a lie.

Two ways to look at it double my price per sq ft after spending all that time needlessly measuring around things or take a few minutes with my lasar measuring tool and give a price quickly and efficiently. Wasting time is not on top of the list

Matt

August 3 2009, 10:15 PM 

I do what Dave does, just measure the whole thing. I then just give a lower SF price than normal.

Figure out how long it will take, figure your goal per hr., and there ya go!

Rick Gelinas

August 4 2009, 12:51 PM 

It could be done either way:

For instance, you might bid a large library at .12 per sq ft and then take out, say 25% for shelves.

Or on the other hand you might just bid it at a flat rate of .09 per sq ft and not take out any deductions.

Either way you choose to go, it will work out roughly the same in the end. Simply go with whichever approach makes the most sense for the individual account that you're bidding. I've done it both ways.

encapman.gif
Rick Gelinas

Joe DeSouza

August 4 2009, 11:36 PM 

Thank You!

I wasnt too far off I guess, but it took 2 cimexs, (me and one of my sons) one person vacuuming edges & scrubbing them with a stand up brush (the wifey) and one other to move furniture and fetch water...(my other son) so four of us to do the job in 11 hrs...

seems like it should of went a little faster, but try to motivate teenagers to hustle on a friday & saturday night, and you can see why it seemed to take so long!!

Joe

Thomas Owens

August 6 2009, 6:00 AM 

Not bad money at all for a weekend of work!

Current Topic - bidding question
RETURN TO INDEX  
EncapBoard Guidelines: 
This forum has been provided by Excellent Supply Inc for sharing information about encapsulation cleaning technology and the business of commercial carpet cleaning.  
Excellent Supply Inc and its agents assume no responsibility for the accuracy of information displayed on this message board. You alone are responsible for any repercussions resulting from information posted here. Content posted on this message board may be used or published by Excellent Supply Inc. 
(1) Unauthorized advertising, promotion of rival products/brands, or listing items for sale without consent will not be permitted. 
(2) No profane, vulgar or abusive speech will be tolerated. Your privilege of posting may be blocked if you flame, use profanity, or are disrespectful. 
(3) We reserve the right to delete any post and block any  individual that we feel is inappropriate. 
(4) This forum is politically and religiously neutral, so please avoid discussing those subjects here.
(5) Maintain a good sense of humor! But keep it clean.
You are a guest here so we invite you to please post respectfully. Enjoy!

Cimex + Releasit = RESULTS
www.Excellent-Supply.com