This message board has been upgraded to a new forum with a number of user improvements.
You are currently viewing archived posts from the original EncapBoard (2002-2012).
Please visit the NEW EncapBoard carpet cleaning forum at http://Forum.Excellent-Supply.com to join an active online community for commercial carpet cleaning.

RETURN TO INDEX  

Monkeying around with marble

October 22 2009 at 1:49 AM
Shorty  

David.................

Help...................

I have been asked about refinishing marble and the words "Monkey Pads" popped into me noggin.

Can you (or someone) please give me the guts on them.

Sorry, Yankee talk........ tell me all about them, how they are best used, on what type of floor, etc;

I believe (think), they can be use under my 'Mex; ??

If so, do I need to use additional weights. ??

Much appreciated.

Shorty.

I've seen the light, and changed my wicked ways. wink.gif
www.get.shorty.com.au

AuthorReply
Ken

Re: Monkeying around with marble

October 22 2009, 2:50 PM 

they don't work sad.gif

I used them on marble and terrazzo. then gave them away to an experienced floor tech  (who does no carpet) he advised me "they're no good"

$500.00 down the drain

This message has been edited by dot_ca on Oct 26, 2009 9:45 AM
This message has been edited by dot_ca on Oct 26, 2009 9:44 AM

Walt

Monkey Pads

October 23 2009, 1:56 AM 

I went to Myteefest last year in SanDiego. Monkey Pads gave a 2 hour class on theory and then half a day out in the parking lot messing with samples of marble. Everybody got a shot at a restoring a severely damaged 4x4 square piece of marble. They do make them for the 'Mex and stated that it was easier with the 'Mex.

After considering it more carefully; it's along the idea of someone selling you an upholstery tool and telling you it's easy, when you've never cleaned upholstery before. They show it in use on a nice synthetic and your pleased at punch at how easy it is and how much money you are going to make. If you're lucky the first sofa you clean is made of Herculon, if you're unlucky then you get a polished cotton piece with blood on it.

Things are rarely as easy as they look. There are many types of stone, granite and marble that monkey pads are not a good tool for. They are not good for restoration work - in the class they used diamond pads and then the monkey pads.

rick lord

Monkey Pads

October 23 2009, 9:35 PM 

I have used Monkey Pads and they do put a high shine on Marble or Travertine. However you can get in big trouble with them. When a floor is dull none of the scratches, etchs, etc show up. When you put a polish on it they really show up. So it's important to properly set customer expectations. Also the polish is not as pure as a good stone guy would do.
I would say Monkey Pads are good for Mrs P, who has two children and a dog, small marble foyer that has never been polished and after you clean the carpet you upsell to put a shine on it. But not to be used in the 1000 sq ft and up foyer of a multi million $$ house. They are real easy to use but like i say you can finish with a nice shine and there is now a big etch that the shine made pop. Monkey pads won't do anything for that.
Any stone guy will tell you to stay away as these won't do near the job they do with diamonds and powders.
If you want drop me an email and I'll send you some before and after pics

Rick VanderKoy

Re: Monkey Pads

November 3 2009, 2:29 PM 

I was just sitting down to order some Bridgepoint pads for stone polishing and saw this post. I see that Powerflite(copycats) have their own version too. Are these the monkey pads of which you speak?
Thanks.

Current Topic - Monkeying around with marble
RETURN TO INDEX  
EncapBoard Guidelines: 
This forum has been provided by Excellent Supply Inc for sharing information about encapsulation cleaning technology and the business of commercial carpet cleaning.  
Excellent Supply Inc and its agents assume no responsibility for the accuracy of information displayed on this message board. You alone are responsible for any repercussions resulting from information posted here. Content posted on this message board may be used or published by Excellent Supply Inc. 
(1) Unauthorized advertising, promotion of rival products/brands, or listing items for sale without consent will not be permitted. 
(2) No profane, vulgar or abusive speech will be tolerated. Your privilege of posting may be blocked if you flame, use profanity, or are disrespectful. 
(3) We reserve the right to delete any post and block any  individual that we feel is inappropriate. 
(4) This forum is politically and religiously neutral, so please avoid discussing those subjects here.
(5) Maintain a good sense of humor! But keep it clean.
You are a guest here so we invite you to please post respectfully. Enjoy!

Cimex + Releasit = RESULTS
www.Excellent-Supply.com