This message board has been upgraded to a new forum with a number of user improvements.
You are currently viewing archived posts from the original EncapBoard (2002-2012).
Please visit the NEW EncapBoard carpet cleaning forum at http://Forum.Excellent-Supply.com to join an active online community for commercial carpet cleaning.

RETURN TO INDEX  

Wires under carpet - VLM the answer?

February 4 2010 at 4:22 PM
Derek  

quoting a large facility locally. in some areas they have electrical wiring lying underneath the CGD. the contact said it was wrapped in a "duct-tape" type of insulator...strange. i guess they are doing this to run wiring to some cubicle areas. why they didn't go through the ceiling is beyond me. seems a bit hokey for a big industry company with lots of $

at any rate, his 1st question was, "is this a wet process?" i informed him that all CCing methods use some amount of moisture, but that this was a VLM system.

my question: has anyone CC'ed carpet with electrical wiring under it with VLM, specifically a Cimex?

if so, any problems?

i am thinking this is no problem and i'll be fine, but i promised i would do some research on it 1st.

tx --- Derek happy.gif

This message has been edited by DerekBeyer on Feb 4, 2010 4:23 PM

AuthorReply
Shorty

Lumps ???

February 4 2010, 5:40 PM 

Crikey, you blokes sure do things funny over there.

Where the cables go under the carpet, are they like a lump under the carpet, or is there a channel in the floor that the cables lay in. ??

If they lay in a channel or depression/groove that leaves the carpet flush on the floor, there should be no problem.

Even if they are laying on top of the floor under the carpet, they should not be a problem as they will not be bare copper wires, but sealed in a plastic compound.

However, if there are any joins with bare wires, you may have a problem.

There, they would be extra bulky and possibly a trip hazard.

Trip as in falling, not as in tripping the electrical circuit. wink.gif

But then again, with an electrical set-up as described, I'm sure it would go against any building, and especially fire + workplace health & safety regulations, to allow such a set-up.

Down under, all wiring under carpet is contained inside a pvc box.

This box sits neatly into a channel that has been cut into the concrete slab, or, if it is a timber floor, the wires are under the timber and come up through designated holes.

Wouldn't it be nice to get the same building regulations across the country. ??

Ooroo,

I've seen the light, and changed my wicked ways. wink.gif
www.get.shorty.com.au

Kevin Pearson

Lumps

February 8 2010, 9:52 PM 

The worst was the time we were cutting carpet out of a water damaged house and I cut through and extension cord under the carpet. After I got shocked from the metal knife cutting the cord in half the insured said, "Oh I forgot to tell you about that."

So at least you got told up front.

Current Topic - Wires under carpet - VLM the answer?
RETURN TO INDEX  
EncapBoard Guidelines: 
This forum has been provided by Excellent Supply Inc for sharing information about encapsulation cleaning technology and the business of commercial carpet cleaning.  
Excellent Supply Inc and its agents assume no responsibility for the accuracy of information displayed on this message board. You alone are responsible for any repercussions resulting from information posted here. Content posted on this message board may be used or published by Excellent Supply Inc. 
(1) Unauthorized advertising, promotion of rival products/brands, or listing items for sale without consent will not be permitted. 
(2) No profane, vulgar or abusive speech will be tolerated. Your privilege of posting may be blocked if you flame, use profanity, or are disrespectful. 
(3) We reserve the right to delete any post and block any  individual that we feel is inappropriate. 
(4) This forum is politically and religiously neutral, so please avoid discussing those subjects here.
(5) Maintain a good sense of humor! But keep it clean.
You are a guest here so we invite you to please post respectfully. Enjoy!

Cimex + Releasit = RESULTS
www.Excellent-Supply.com