This message board has been upgraded to a new forum with a number of user improvements.
You are currently viewing archived posts from the original EncapBoard (2002-2012).
Please visit the NEW EncapBoard carpet cleaning forum at http://Forum.Excellent-Supply.com to join an active online community for commercial carpet cleaning.

RETURN TO INDEX  

Can you successfully fix urine odors with low moisture cleaning?

April 14 2010 at 3:58 AM
bensurdi 

I have a room in a house that has dog urine smells. They want low moisture service/dry cleaning and I am wondering if I can successfully remove or improve the problem without using truck mount steam cleaning?

If so, what would you use? What process?

Ben Surdi
NW Green Clean

AuthorReply
Don Eldred

Re: Can you successfully fix urine odors with low moisture cleaning?

April 14 2010, 7:46 AM 

Good question. One would think that you can do a reasonable job, if they only want the carpet cleaned and sanitized. One must remember to remove the odor, you must remove the source of the odor. There is a good chance that the problem is a lot deeper than the part you are going to clean.

Make sure you qualify with the customer before you start.

Patrick

Re: Can you successfully fix urine odors with low moisture cleaning?

April 14 2010, 11:15 AM 

Yes I have but it depends upon the level of severity.

Ben Surdi

What Products?

April 15 2010, 9:07 AM 

What products do you guys use with your low moisture process to treat/deal with urine smells coming from carpeting assuming that the client only wants an improvement of odor conditions ( not expecting complete removal).

Ben Surdi
NW Green Clean

Charles

What Products

April 15 2010, 12:12 PM 

I use Encap Basic & Odorcide. Some guys use Hydrox.

Don Eldred

Re: What Products

April 15 2010, 1:05 PM 

Odorcide

EncapDrew

Re: What Products?

April 15 2010, 2:26 PM 

Urine odor can be tricky, most of the time Odorcide will treat it but there will be the occasional Cat urine that it just won't tackle!

Use a product called Natures Miracle. Apply to the area and cover with plastic wrap, leave covered until dry. This is a process that Beth used with great success, her kitty had medical issues and kept spraying on the couch!
I would only suggest the above process if odorcide and HydrOx combo fail!

This message has been edited by EncapDrew on Apr 15, 2010 2:28 PM
This message has been edited by EncapDrew on Apr 15, 2010 2:26 PM

Shorty

Procedure ??

April 15 2010, 3:45 PM 

What is your procedure and ratio for using Odorcide with Releasit when encapping please ??

Ooroo,

Shortestwun.

I've seen the light, and changed my wicked ways. wink.gif
www.get.shorty.com.au

EncapDrew

Re: Procedure ??

April 15 2010, 4:04 PM 

you can mix the Odorcide right in the Encap RTU according to directions, or apply it after you are finished cleaning and work it in with a carpet rake. The biggest issue is the odorcide needs to get down to the source of the smell, if it is in the padding you will need to apply enough to get to the source! You could use a syringe to get down there?

javascript:enlrge('../pc/catalog/driver_1799_thumb.jpg')

Shorty

Ta

April 15 2010, 4:09 PM 

Thanks Drew, that is basically how I have been doing it.

Usually I will check the areas that need attention, then I will pre-spray Odorcide onto those areas before cleaning.

Further Odorcide goes in the tank with encap, then scrubbed.

I haven't done the after bit thing.

Thanks for your prompt answer.

Ooroo,

Shortestwun.

I've seen the light, and changed my wicked ways. wink.gif
www.get.shorty.com.au

Patrick

Re: Ta

April 15 2010, 10:20 PM 

Odorcide- been using it for almost 10 years.When odor is present but no visible stain.I haven't used a syringe ever. I look at it this way: the urine donor didn't use one.You have to mimic the flow so to speak-apply/pour in the middle.

Bac-Out-Can use on stain and odor.Apply before padding,encap,hwe. You can also apply after for any residual but I would mist it.

USR- mist on any residual,cover with plastic tabs w/ a blue block on top-let sit from anywhere from 1-24 hours

This message has been edited by pmatte on Apr 15, 2010 10:21 PM

Grant

Heavy Urine deposits.

April 18 2010, 9:54 PM 

What about heavy deposits.

I understand lifting carpet to (replace padding) and sealing floor boards is often required as you cannot soak timber long enough for enzymes to work as the moisture will warp the timber. However Odourcide works using different chemistry and does not require dwell time.

Can you avoid lifting the carpet by pouring odourcide onto an area and stomping on it using your body weight to pump the solution through the padding and making contact with the contaminated floorboards, then used a water claw to remove the excess. Effectively treating carpet, padding and floorboards in one go.

Do you think this would work well for heavy urine stains and almost eliminate the need to lift the carpet and replace padding?

Do you treat the urine stain before odour treatment, or do you fix the stain first, then treat for odours?

Patrick

Re: Heavy Urine deposits.

April 19 2010, 8:06 AM 

Actually there will be times that you would give odorcide some dwell time.

Here is my home(LOW MOISTURE) remedy,meaning what I do at home when there is an accident of rather large size-dinner plate ( I have a built in R/D team; 3 medium ( Husky/Lab,Flat coat Retriever and Pit mix) dogs-1 cat.I used to include 2 kids but they're back with their parents.

I take a few white towels each one folded in half then in half again.Stack all three on top of each other and then place a something very heavy-liquid laundry detergent.As long as there is is plastic between the towels and weight you can use any thing like books,ect..

After at least 8-12 hours I remove the now urine soaked towels and apply Bac-Out to the deposit,trying to equal the original size. I then use 3 more towels in the same manner described above.
I then check 8-10 hours later,if I need to reapply some more then I do so.

It is a very low tech method but it works every time.

Patrick

Grant

April 21 2010, 7:36 PM 

Thanks Patrick. Sounds like you have good experience in this kind of work.

Does Odorcide have it's own odour?

This message has been edited by deadleper on Apr 21, 2010 7:37 PM

Anonymous

April 21 2010, 8:54 PM 

Yes it does.What does it smell like? I don't know,some like it,some don't. I like it alot and so clients.

Grant

April 21 2010, 9:53 PM 

Thanks.

Grant

UV

April 25 2010, 7:26 PM 

Once treated with odorcide does a pet stain still glow in UV light?

Al Taylor

Re: UV

April 26 2010, 1:59 PM 

I would have to say it would still glow Grant. I will be checking this weekend though cause I did a pet urine job last weekend and I will be going back when I recieve my odorcide from excellent supply to use it to clean the whole carpet with hydrox. Pee pee is pervasive on this carpet but client wants it done. At any rate Odorcide is for odor not stain removal so i would have to say that the stain will glow.

I used enzymes and extraction last week I will see if the stain glows this week.

Al Taylor

Wiegh the meaning and look not at the words.

Grant

Re: UV

May 6 2010, 8:03 PM 

How did you go, did you check it out?

Current Topic - Can you successfully fix urine odors with low moisture cleaning?
RETURN TO INDEX  
EncapBoard Guidelines: 
This forum has been provided by Excellent Supply Inc for sharing information about encapsulation cleaning technology and the business of commercial carpet cleaning.  
Excellent Supply Inc and its agents assume no responsibility for the accuracy of information displayed on this message board. You alone are responsible for any repercussions resulting from information posted here. Content posted on this message board may be used or published by Excellent Supply Inc. 
(1) Unauthorized advertising, promotion of rival products/brands, or listing items for sale without consent will not be permitted. 
(2) No profane, vulgar or abusive speech will be tolerated. Your privilege of posting may be blocked if you flame, use profanity, or are disrespectful. 
(3) We reserve the right to delete any post and block any  individual that we feel is inappropriate. 
(4) This forum is politically and religiously neutral, so please avoid discussing those subjects here.
(5) Maintain a good sense of humor! But keep it clean.
You are a guest here so we invite you to please post respectfully. Enjoy!

Cimex + Releasit = RESULTS
www.Excellent-Supply.com