This message board has been upgraded to a new forum with a number of user improvements.
You are currently viewing archived posts from the original EncapBoard (2002-2012).
Please visit the NEW EncapBoard carpet cleaning forum at http://Forum.Excellent-Supply.com to join an active online community for commercial carpet cleaning.

RETURN TO INDEX  

What do you do when this happens? Question

April 15 2010 at 4:04 PM
Shorty  

With regards to the post below, "What do you do when this happens?".

How many of you have checked your own Big Yella to see if there is any fatigue cracking around the weld joints. ??

Periodic checking of things like this during your monthly (or whenever), maintenance of Big Yella, may prevent loss of time on a job down the track.

I know many of us forget to do stuff like this when we should (well I do anyhow sad.gif ), I would like to see what ideas you guys have to do your maintenance.

I now have a very simple plan for myself.

In my diary, I pencil out a particular day and time each month to do maintenance.

I simply mark it in as equipment maintenance and block off the hours.

When I get a new diary, I mark those days in for a full year, along with all my other regular carpet cleaning/upholstery jobs, as well as any important dates, such as 09/29/10 - 10/01/10. wink.gif

I also run Quicken Customer Manager & in that I mark in what equipment is to be checked and what the checks are.

I only have to type it in once and hit the repeat button for the times I want.

This is not just for Big Yella, but for all my gear.

If in the week that I am due to do my checks, I have a slack period, I do the checks there and then rather than sitting around reading the forums. happy.gif

Hope this may help someone.

Ooroo,

Shortestwun.

I've seen the light, and changed my wicked ways. wink.gif
www.get.shorty.com.au

AuthorReply
Matt

Re: What do you do when this happens? Question

April 15 2010, 8:05 PM 

Fortunately that was an easy fix!

I am curious since I have mex down for a few days, what other things I should do besides the routine cleaning...

I am currently re painting the yellow & blue, probably a new bumper, should I get a belt too?

Any thing else would be appreciated

Rick Gelinas

Re: What do you do when this happens? Question

April 17 2010, 2:18 AM 

It's a good idea to keep a belt on hand if your machine has loaded up some hours on it. That way you'll be ready when the belt starts to slip. But generally speaking, the belts start slipping gradually, so you'll have an early warning that it's getting closer to needing a replacement. Aside from the belt, there's not much in the way of "wear" that you need to consider. They normally just go and go. "Takes a licking and keeps on ticking".

encapman.gif
Rick Gelinas
[linked image]

Shorty

Common sense

April 17 2010, 3:54 AM 

Common sense tells me that I must do things.

As I suffer badly from K.R.A.F.T. this is why I have the two back-ups to remind me.

You ask what else to do to Big Yella, here's a couple of ideas.

Check your cable, make sure that it is not coming adrift at the male connection from guys pulling on the cable instead of the plug.

Check it also for any kinks or lumps that may cause an electrical problem down the track.

Check the grips, are they loose and slide easily?? If so, remove them, clean the insides and also clean down the steel handle before refitting the grips.

Check the filter or remove it completely from the solution tank.

Check the solution line from tank to base for any cracking or leaks.

Check the valve for leaking.

Remove the solution tank and check for any cracking around where it sits on the steel bracket on the handle, there is a small recess where it locates onto a short length of steel, I have had cracking around that area in which I had to get a new tank.

While the tank is off, check the bracket for rust and cracking, you don't want the solution tank falling off when working.

Check that the bumper strip is located in the clips properly.

Clean out the solution lines to the pad holders.

Clean the base with the pad holders off.

Clean the crap from the sides of the pad holders.

Gently wash and polish the entire machine.

A clean machine speaks volumes about your work even before you start.

Change the wheels to BIG WHEELS.

I also cut the fifty foot lead off and just use extension leads for the length I need for the job.

Many will say I have gone overboard on this, but I like to keep my gear in good condition if possible.

Ooroo,

Shortestwun.

I've seen the light, and changed my wicked ways. wink.gif
www.cairnscommercialcarpetcare.com.au

This message has been edited by Shortwun on Apr 17, 2010 3:58 AM

Matt

Re: Common sense

April 20 2010, 8:31 PM 

Nice list, Shorty. While I do most of those things, there were a couple I hadn't thought of.

Nice list to have for new & old users alike!

Current Topic - What do you do when this happens? Question
RETURN TO INDEX  
EncapBoard Guidelines: 
This forum has been provided by Excellent Supply Inc for sharing information about encapsulation cleaning technology and the business of commercial carpet cleaning.  
Excellent Supply Inc and its agents assume no responsibility for the accuracy of information displayed on this message board. You alone are responsible for any repercussions resulting from information posted here. Content posted on this message board may be used or published by Excellent Supply Inc. 
(1) Unauthorized advertising, promotion of rival products/brands, or listing items for sale without consent will not be permitted. 
(2) No profane, vulgar or abusive speech will be tolerated. Your privilege of posting may be blocked if you flame, use profanity, or are disrespectful. 
(3) We reserve the right to delete any post and block any  individual that we feel is inappropriate. 
(4) This forum is politically and religiously neutral, so please avoid discussing those subjects here.
(5) Maintain a good sense of humor! But keep it clean.
You are a guest here so we invite you to please post respectfully. Enjoy!

Cimex + Releasit = RESULTS
www.Excellent-Supply.com