This message board has been upgraded to a new forum with a number of user improvements.
You are currently viewing archived posts from the original EncapBoard (2002-2012).
Please visit the NEW EncapBoard carpet cleaning forum at http://Forum.Excellent-Supply.com to join an active online community for commercial carpet cleaning.

RETURN TO INDEX  

dress for success question

May 28 2010 at 10:25 PM
George  

Rick,

I've just (Wed) had ankle surgery. The next 2 weeks are a definite no go, but, after the no-weight brace is off and I have a walking cast/boot, how should I dress for sales calls? I have 8-10 weeks after I get a walking cast/boot of doing no cleaning. This is, to me, a great opportunity for making sales calls and doing demos (I've about decided to buy a Koblenz P-4000 for those ultra small cubicals and demos). I'd hate to screw it up with a bad first impression.

AuthorReply

Rick Gelinas

Re: dress for success question

May 29 2010, 2:34 AM 

George,

This may not be what you want to hear, but I would refrain from going soliciting with a foot brace. Sad to say, but people judge largely on appearance. And the first impression is what they'll base their view of you on, even if it's sub-conscious (that's human nature). In their mind it will be "how's this gimpy guy gonna be able to clean my carpet". But don't let that stop your sales efforts entirely. Use the time contact people, mail them information, and set up appointments for later (after you're no longer the "gimpy guy").

If you do decide to go on some sales calls before the brace comes off, the first words out of my mouth would be "I just had ankle surgery and I have to wear this dumb brace for a few more days".

encapman.gif
Rick Gelinas
[linked image]

Joe M

I would do this

May 29 2010, 11:23 AM 

Wear the foot brace and nothing else. Then watch the calls come in.

What a new way to market your business.

George

grrr

May 29 2010, 4:16 PM 

Nope, it's not what I want to hear. I was hoping there was a way to use the down time to get my crews busier and expand in the commercial floor maint segment.

David Hebert

Re: grrr

May 30 2010, 9:24 AM 

George if you have crew or crews then I would make phone calls an go out and sell.Do as Rick suggested for the reason for the limp if you must.

It is your job to sell and market not to clean, I bet your clients or prospects know this. Perfect time to get off the cleaning permanently if you are not already.

David

George

thks

May 30 2010, 5:29 PM 

Yeah, but, I actually LIKE cleaning carpet - instant gratification. That's the only reason I do the janitorial side - inside track for the carpet contract. I'll probably always have my own contracts.

I do want to become more commercial carpet oriented and move away from the janitorial. I was looking at this as a chance to focus on the floor maint contracts.

I guess I'll do a mixture of both - call/mail for a couple of weeks and get a small ankle brace for short term wear.

David Hebert

Re: thks

June 1 2010, 7:06 AM 

George I did the same as you for a long time. Janitorial and carpet for the same reason, then one day a janitorial company asked if we could do the carpets in the buildings serviced by them.

BINGO they give me carpets and hard surfaces (Stone) i give them janitorial and VCT (yuck). As time goes on we have done this with a few others that i can trust.

While I like you love the instant gratification, doing more selling and less cleaning is easier on my body, company makes more money. To get back on track I would be making calls and appointments unless you need to do Demos and are unable to do so with ease, then I would take an assistant with me who operates the machinery (make sure they are dressed nice)

Current Topic - dress for success question
RETURN TO INDEX  
EncapBoard Guidelines: 
This forum has been provided by Excellent Supply Inc for sharing information about encapsulation cleaning technology and the business of commercial carpet cleaning.  
Excellent Supply Inc and its agents assume no responsibility for the accuracy of information displayed on this message board. You alone are responsible for any repercussions resulting from information posted here. Content posted on this message board may be used or published by Excellent Supply Inc. 
(1) Unauthorized advertising, promotion of rival products/brands, or listing items for sale without consent will not be permitted. 
(2) No profane, vulgar or abusive speech will be tolerated. Your privilege of posting may be blocked if you flame, use profanity, or are disrespectful. 
(3) We reserve the right to delete any post and block any  individual that we feel is inappropriate. 
(4) This forum is politically and religiously neutral, so please avoid discussing those subjects here.
(5) Maintain a good sense of humor! But keep it clean.
You are a guest here so we invite you to please post respectfully. Enjoy!

Cimex + Releasit = RESULTS
www.Excellent-Supply.com