This message board has been upgraded to a new forum with a number of user improvements.
You are currently viewing archived posts from the original EncapBoard (2002-2012).
Please visit the NEW EncapBoard carpet cleaning forum at http://Forum.Excellent-Supply.com to join an active online community for commercial carpet cleaning.

RETURN TO INDEX  

Name Dropping

June 2 2010 at 8:23 PM
Fred Gruber  

I've read in some sales books that say not to use name dropping in your sales approach. I try not to but sometimes will mention some of my conquests. I think it give credibility. Just don't do what I once did. I went into the administrative office of a MRI group and mentioned that we cleaned one of the largest and fastest growing MRI groups. Boy was that a mistake. The woman looked at me like I spoke of the Devil. I made sure not to do that again.

What do you guys think?

AuthorReply
T

Re: Name Dropping

June 2 2010, 11:40 PM 

I DISAGREE,and learned a long time ago.
It's not what you know,It's WHO you know.

In Business, networking is the vehicle to spread "word of mouth". Networking is the primary source of referrals. In the business world, referrals are warm leads, almost ready to buy, as opposed to what you can get from cold-calling or direct mail.

Networking is inexpensive, sometimes even free, and it works because of two major psychological truths:

1. People are afraid to do business with strangers.
2. People prefer to do business with people they know or with people who were recommended by someone they know.

Therefore, the MORE people you know (i.e. the BIGGER your network), the more business you'll do.

Take a look at this article:
http://ezinearticles.com/?Networking---Its-Not-What-You-Know---Its-Who-You-Know&id=363736

Best,
T

Derek

June 3 2010, 12:13 AM 

name-dropping is definitely bad.

Rick Gelinas taught me that.

Rick Gelinas

June 3 2010, 2:28 AM 

I've never heard that it's a bad idea to refer to other clients that you service. I have always used references in my carpet cleaning business. Seeing that we have many satisfied customers (just like them) helps them to feel more comfortable doing business with us. It's an easy way to help the client see that you're capable of servicing their accounts. In fact I would disagree emphatically that it's a bad idea to drop names. How many successful companies have you seen that list a handful of their top clients on their website and marketing material? I have read many sales books that encourage the use of referrals to your satisfied customers.

In our cleaning business we have maintained a file of our "Job Vouchers" with the comment field filled in for each job that we service. Over the years we were able to build up an enormous collection of customers saying how delighted they are with our service. These testimonials are highly valuable to help others build confidence in our service.

Another variation of "dropping names" that we have used successfully is we leave postcards at neighboring businesses that say that "we just cleaned the carpets at _____" so they can check with their neighbor about the work we performed. This simple technique has brought us new business too.

I would say that you should definitely develop a program for acquiring testimonials and don't hesitate to use them. Dropping names, with discretion, can be an effective tool to use in your marketing.

encapman.gif
Rick Gelinas
[linked image]

Derek

June 4 2010, 9:03 AM 

but seriously, i agree with Tad & Rick. it's definitely a positive thing, not negative. can give you instant credibility to some people.

Homan, Fred

June 4 2010, 6:53 PM 

If some are having a hard time growing commercial carpet cleaning, try this. I have and it is working very well.
A guy in my BNI chapter has a Jan-Pro cleaning that he sells to people that go out to businesses and do regular cleaning. Not all of them do carpet cleaning....They service about 320 businesses in the Twin City area of Minnesota. Over the last couple of months I have done about 20 jobs for them. A few nice ones too. The Cimex rocks!! He is getting rave feedback about how goood the carpet looks! More jobs are on the way too. Beats knocking on doors/cold calling. If you are in a major city and they have Jan-Pro, contact them!!! It's working for me!
Fred

Current Topic - Name Dropping
RETURN TO INDEX  
EncapBoard Guidelines: 
This forum has been provided by Excellent Supply Inc for sharing information about encapsulation cleaning technology and the business of commercial carpet cleaning.  
Excellent Supply Inc and its agents assume no responsibility for the accuracy of information displayed on this message board. You alone are responsible for any repercussions resulting from information posted here. Content posted on this message board may be used or published by Excellent Supply Inc. 
(1) Unauthorized advertising, promotion of rival products/brands, or listing items for sale without consent will not be permitted. 
(2) No profane, vulgar or abusive speech will be tolerated. Your privilege of posting may be blocked if you flame, use profanity, or are disrespectful. 
(3) We reserve the right to delete any post and block any  individual that we feel is inappropriate. 
(4) This forum is politically and religiously neutral, so please avoid discussing those subjects here.
(5) Maintain a good sense of humor! But keep it clean.
You are a guest here so we invite you to please post respectfully. Enjoy!

Cimex + Releasit = RESULTS
www.Excellent-Supply.com