This message board has been upgraded to a new forum with a number of user improvements.
You are currently viewing archived posts from the original EncapBoard (2002-2012).
Please visit the NEW EncapBoard carpet cleaning forum at http://Forum.Excellent-Supply.com to join an active online community for commercial carpet cleaning.

RETURN TO INDEX  

If you were explaining encapping to

June 24 2010 at 8:48 PM
James  

How would you explain encapping if you were sending a potential client an email? How exactly would you word it?

Thanks,
James

AuthorReply
David Hebert

Re: If you were explaining encapping to

June 25 2010, 6:47 AM 

I would not do that sell clean carpet not cleaning methods

James

Re: If you were explaining encapping to

June 25 2010, 8:21 AM 

I'm not trying to sell cleaning methods, just trying to figure out how to explain encapping in word form.

I utilize HWE, encapping and bonneting and I'm trying to figure out the best way to explain each method "clearly and simply" to the custy.

James

Rick Gelinas

Here's what I would say...

June 25 2010, 2:28 PM 

What David said is good advice. Don't sell "method" - sell "results & benefits".

You might say something like this. (Feel free to plagiarize this ad copy if you want to)...

We will start by carefully evaluating your carpet and your traffic and wear conditions. We will then implement the best strategies for maintaining your commercial carpet. We utilize all industry recognized methods of cleaning.

We will tailor a maintenance program that can keep your carpets cleaner longer than you've ever experienced before. Traffic lanes will go from drab and dingy to bright and clean. And we can effectively eliminate recurring spill stains.

Our staff is professional and courteous and we work with your scheduling requirements. And our prices are competitive too. So there's simply no reason to live another day with anything less than spotless carpets in your business. You and your clients can now enjoy clean looking carpet on a day-in day-out basis.

You see I'm selling them on the benefits of maintaining their carpets. This approach has always served me well. I don't want to get boxed into a corner with regards to method. I don't want to be married to any specific method. I want to have the freedom to be the professional, and as such have the room to choose whichever system I feel is best to get the job done properly.

To illustrate this point: When you purchased your truck, I doubt that you asked the dealer how the manufacturer extruded the steel for the chassis. No, you were probably sold on the idea that it's "Built Ford Tough", or something like that. Doesn't matter what brand you bought; I'll bet that how the metal was extruded was not even a remote thought. So why do we feel the need to go into details about "method"? Our industry headed down the wrong path a long time ago in this regard. But I am telling you, if you'll move toward selling results and benefits, you'll be giving the customer information that the customer can sink their teeth into.

OK - I'll get off my soapbox now happy.gif

encapman.gif
Rick Gelinas
[linked image]

This message has been edited by cimex on Jun 25, 2010 2:30 PM

Shorty

It maye be a well worn soapbox, but............

June 25 2010, 5:01 PM 

OK - I'll get off my soapbox now happy.happy.gif

It's one that many of us have stepped up to and reaped the benefits of.

Ooroo,

I've seen the light, and changed my wicked ways. wink.gif
www.get.shorty.com.au

James

Re: It maye be a well worn soapbox, but............

June 27 2010, 6:14 PM 

So, since you guys "didn't answer my question", does that mean you don't know how to explain encapping in simple, layman's terms that the custy can understand???

Just wondering.

Rick Gelinas

Since you're insisting...

June 29 2010, 3:29 PM 

I will be happy to provide an explanation for you. But what everyone suggested in the comments above is GOOD ADVICE. Selling METHOD is a worn out way of selling and it is a poor strategy from a marketing standpoint. I think we all attempted to give you the best advice possible. But you're determined, so I'll be happy to oblige your request. Perhaps the content below can help you...

Here is an explanation of the process:

Soil is removed from the fiber as the carpet is scrubbed. The displaced soil is now held in suspension in the crystallizing detergent solution. As the detergent solution dries, the polymer in the detergent dries to a crystalline residue. The soil laden crystallized residue will sheer away from the fiber and it can then be extracted during the normal routine of post-vacuuming. The brittle crystal residue is not sticky, like traditional carpet detergents can be, so there's no possibility that the crystallized detergent residue can attract more soil like typical cleaning chemistry often does. Carpets cleaned with a good crystallizing encapsulation system can stay clean longer than carpets cleaned with traditional chemistry. A good encapsulation system can bring dingy carpets back to a bright appearance. Recurring spill stains can also be eliminated. And the system is a low moisture process, so carpets can be put back into service within an hour or two.

So there you have it. That's the nuts and bolts of the system. Use it if you'd like. But I will tell you; you're going down the wrong path from a marketing standpoint. All the advice that was posted previously is the correct way to sell carpet cleaning. But if you choose to go down this well worn path and employ the classic mode of selling METHOD, the data I've posted here may be useful. Hope it's helpful for you. I wish you success!

encapman.gif
Rick Gelinas
[linked image]

This message has been edited by cimex on Jun 29, 2010 3:31 PM

James

Thank you

June 30 2010, 12:29 AM 

Rick,
I appreciate your response and I'm sure I can use it.

With that said, please refer to my previous post above where I state that I'm not trying to sell methods, I just wanted to be able to explain "this method" intelligently, but simply to the customer. We have an account with a large, 3 story retirement center that we've always HWE with a portable in the past. I want to try encapping it for 3 reasons.

1) Stays cleaner longer (happy custy)

2) dries faster (happy custy)

3) completed faster (happy me)

I need to explain this new process to the manager before we start cleaning so she knows she's still going to end up with clean carpet.

I wasn't trying to be a jerk; it's just that sometimes you can't ask a simple question and get a direct answer on these boards without people's "opinions" taking priority over a simple post. ie I asked a simple question and wanted a simple answer - that's it. I once fired a guy because he couldn't accomplish that simple task.

Anyway, thanks again for the info.

James

Rick Gelinas

Re: Thank you

June 30 2010, 3:13 AM 

Not a problem. Happy to help if I can. happy.gif

I guess we all got caught up in explaining the benefit of selling BENEFITS, rather than selling METHOD. It is a particular peeve of mine wink.gif

By the way I just received a very well thought out e-mail regarding this thread. Here is a copy of it along with my reply. It adds another perspective to this discussion...

Had a question for you if you don't mind. I was just looking at some of the threads, and there is one where a guy was asking how to explain encapsulation. Most of the replies (including yours) rightfully encouraged the guy to sell clean rather than method.

My question, though, is why you chose not to point out that encapsulation is not a method of carpet cleaning but rather a technology. I mean, it can by used in VLM systems as well as HWE. I know that the majority of people consider encap to be equated with low-moisture, brush & bonnet, etc., and most of us just let it go without explanation.

This is not a big deal if you prefer not to respond - I'm not splitting hairs with you at all. I'm just curious why you personally choose not to point out that encap itself is not a method. For.... conversational purposes, I guess.

Thanks for any insight and for humoring my pointless questions.

MY REPLY:

You make a valid point. It's true that ENCAP is more of a technology than a method in the truest sense of what that the chemistry accomplishes. On the other hand, the commonly used "method" of scrubbing a carpet using a product like Releasit Encap-Clean followed by post-vacuuming, could rightly be termed a "method". In fact, it is termed the "shampoo" method by the IICRC. So I was addressing the question from that viewpoint. My reply was considering the most commonly used approach to using encap technology. But you make a valid point, there are more than one way to use the technology (including HWE). If you'd like add your thoughts, please feel free to add your thoughts to the thread - because what you've stated here makes perfectly good sense too. I like your perspective happy.gif

encapman.gif
Rick Gelinas
[linked image]

Current Topic - If you were explaining encapping to
RETURN TO INDEX  
EncapBoard Guidelines: 
This forum has been provided by Excellent Supply Inc for sharing information about encapsulation cleaning technology and the business of commercial carpet cleaning.  
Excellent Supply Inc and its agents assume no responsibility for the accuracy of information displayed on this message board. You alone are responsible for any repercussions resulting from information posted here. Content posted on this message board may be used or published by Excellent Supply Inc. 
(1) Unauthorized advertising, promotion of rival products/brands, or listing items for sale without consent will not be permitted. 
(2) No profane, vulgar or abusive speech will be tolerated. Your privilege of posting may be blocked if you flame, use profanity, or are disrespectful. 
(3) We reserve the right to delete any post and block any  individual that we feel is inappropriate. 
(4) This forum is politically and religiously neutral, so please avoid discussing those subjects here.
(5) Maintain a good sense of humor! But keep it clean.
You are a guest here so we invite you to please post respectfully. Enjoy!

Cimex + Releasit = RESULTS
www.Excellent-Supply.com