This message board has been upgraded to a new forum with a number of user improvements.
You are currently viewing archived posts from the original EncapBoard (2002-2012).
Please visit the NEW EncapBoard carpet cleaning forum at http://Forum.Excellent-Supply.com to join an active online community for commercial carpet cleaning.

RETURN TO INDEX  

Shorty

July 8 2010 at 11:11 PM
Stan  

Thanks for the ironing board tip. A great idea that is so obvious, I have missed it for almost 30 years. But then I tend to make doing things the hard way an art form. Maybe you have a solution to this dilema; raising the body of the furniture (platform) up a couple of feet. My back is not what it used to be and it would be much easier to clean the skirts, sides, arms etc if the piece was "up" a bit.

AuthorReply
Shorty

Piece of cake mate.

July 9 2010, 4:04 AM 

It's now 17:30 Friday night, let me take some pics tomorrow for you to show you how we do it, if Rick doesn't mind ??

Basically though, DON'T LIFT.

Sorry, I gotta cut 'n paste your thread so I can answer you properly.

Maybe you have a solution to this dilema; raising the body of the furniture (platform) up a couple of feet. My back is not what it used to be and it would be much easier to clean the skirts, sides, arms etc if the piece was "up" a bit.

Okay, like I say, don't lift.

First up, we vacuum the entire piece, I'm taking about a three seat sofa here.

Lay the sofa on it's back.

Place a drop sheet on the floor (we use old mattress covers), and snug it (bunch it up) where it hits the legs that are under the back on the sofa.

While it is in this position you can vacuum the cobwebs underneath it plus the skirts, and also attend to any spots on the front, skirts and both sides.

We the stand the sofa back on it's legs and push it over onto the front kick panel.

Where the drop sheets were bunched up, we pull all the way out the back, then stand the sofa back to it's normal position.

We then pre-spray the entire piece.

We also have several small stools, this is easier if you have an off-sider, but if not, very easy to do on your own.

Place a small stool in the middle of the sofa at the front, lay the piece over on its back and put the stool directly under where the front would be on the floor.

Put the sofa back down so that the kick panel sits on top of the stool.

Clean the front panels, sides and skirts in this position.

You can then pre-spray the inside back and clean it by standing behind the piece.

Sometimes I find it more comfortable to rest the back on my upper legs as I clean, just find the right balance and what is comfortable for you.

Remove the stool and repeat under the back so that you can clean the outside back.

Remove the stool, piece is flat on the floor again, and all you have to do is pre-spray and clean the arm rests (and bench if required).

I hope you find some of this helps.

Another tool I find great, is a small piece of bent metal that is fitted on a boat roller.

Again, I will take some pics tomorrow.

This works like the lever & fulcrum idea.

When your ready to remove the drop sheets, or place tabs/blocks under funiture, put the block up against the leg, slip the metal bar under the sofa or furniture & stand on the far end of the bent bar.

This raises the furniture so you can pull out the drop sheet or put the block under the leg.

A narrow pice of round timber with a pin in the end is also helpful with styro blocks.

Stick the pin into the block, lift the furniture as above, and without bending, put the block under the leg and lower the sofa back down, then pull the pin out of the block once the weight is on it.

These are just a few simple things that I do especially when on my own, 'cos I'm basically a real lazy bugger and always try to find the easiest way of doing things.

I might add, 'cos I don't know if you've read some of my drivel before, but I'm now on the wrong side of 65, weigh in at about 233lb and stand all of 5'6&1/2" high. (Without the high heels Rick wink.gif )

So I gotta do it easy. happy.gif

Oops, "bugger" is an okay word to use down under:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-Y3AsZ19Hc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwWMDpGrf0o&feature=related

I hope I haven't offended anyone, if I have then I guess I'm buggered. wink.gif

Ooroo,

Shortestwun.

PS :::: Sorry Stan, just read your post again and I realised that it is the bench that you're plagued with.

Now I've never tried these, but................. what I would consider is, have a couple of small stools, (again, another photo for tomorrow), one at each end of the sofa.

http://www.forearmforklift.com/

Get these straps on one end and lift the sofa.

Sofas aren't really that heavy if you only lift one end. wink.gif

Slide the stool with your foot under the end and lower the sofa onto it.

Repeat for the other end.

Worth a shot if your body is in worse condition than mine. happy.gif

I've seen the light, and changed my wicked ways. wink.gif
www.get.shorty.com.au

This message has been edited by Shortwun on Jul 9, 2010 7:45 AM
This message has been edited by Shortwun on Jul 9, 2010 4:12 AM

Stan

Thanks Shorty

July 9 2010, 9:52 AM 

I am "almost" in the age bracket you mentioned. But just not as smart as you!I look forward to your follow up post and pics. Thanks also to Rick for allowing the non-carpet thread.

Shorty

Crikey mate, I ain't smart, just cunning ;-)

July 11 2010, 12:58 AM 

Okay, here's some pics as promised.

I might add also that most of my upholstery cleaning nowadays in done by encapping. (Shock/horror) happy.gif

Various stools, Heacocks' lift thingy, plus my "equaliser".

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Heacocks' lift thingy in action.

My equaliser.

Equaliser lifts the sofa high enough to slip the small stool under. This is a sofa bed ande very b****y heavy.

Sofa up on the large gray step and yellow stool.

Some of them fold up flat.

Now I gotta go back and re-read my post to see if I forgot anything as I usually do. wink.gif

If not,

Ooroo,

happy.gif

Yep, sure enough, I forgot.

I figure you don't need to see a bunch of material pushed under the sofa ?? DO you ??

Nor the sofa sitting up on a stool at either the front or back. ??

If you do, or anything else I've missed, just say so & I'll fix it.

Oh Yeah, sad.gif I DID need to lift the sofa onto the stools, but I was on my own & it wasn't difficult.

www.get.shorty.com.au

This message has been edited by Shortwun on Jul 11, 2010 1:03 AM

Stan

Great information Shorty

July 11 2010, 8:17 PM 

I have had one of the lifting lever things for several years. The other lifter device is what I think I need as well. The little folding stools to add height make up a neat system. Congratulations on another stellar post Shorty. Oh, one final question; do you know who gets to sit under the "ugly" sign that is behind the sofa? Just curious...

Shorty

Oops :-)

July 12 2010, 12:37 AM 

You're the second person to comment on that sign in as many days happy.gif

Actually, it reads...............

"Buy me another beer, your still ugly".

That's downstairs in our rumpus/party/leather cleaning/store/room area. wink.gif

Thanks for the kind comments also.

Ooroo,

Shortestwun.

www.get.shorty.com.au

Current Topic - Shorty
RETURN TO INDEX  
EncapBoard Guidelines: 
This forum has been provided by Excellent Supply Inc for sharing information about encapsulation cleaning technology and the business of commercial carpet cleaning.  
Excellent Supply Inc and its agents assume no responsibility for the accuracy of information displayed on this message board. You alone are responsible for any repercussions resulting from information posted here. Content posted on this message board may be used or published by Excellent Supply Inc. 
(1) Unauthorized advertising, promotion of rival products/brands, or listing items for sale without consent will not be permitted. 
(2) No profane, vulgar or abusive speech will be tolerated. Your privilege of posting may be blocked if you flame, use profanity, or are disrespectful. 
(3) We reserve the right to delete any post and block any  individual that we feel is inappropriate. 
(4) This forum is politically and religiously neutral, so please avoid discussing those subjects here.
(5) Maintain a good sense of humor! But keep it clean.
You are a guest here so we invite you to please post respectfully. Enjoy!

Cimex + Releasit = RESULTS
www.Excellent-Supply.com