This message board has been upgraded to a new forum with a number of user improvements.
You are currently viewing archived posts from the original EncapBoard (2002-2012).
Please visit the NEW EncapBoard carpet cleaning forum at http://Forum.Excellent-Supply.com to join an active online community for commercial carpet cleaning.

RETURN TO INDEX  

Disinfectant?

August 15 2010 at 7:59 PM
Joel Riggs  

Are any of the Releasit products considered a disinfectant?

AuthorReply

Rick Gelinas

Re: Disinfectant?

August 16 2010, 12:11 PM 

Here are a couple of options.

1. Buy a bottle of Tea Tree oil at any health food store. Then mix 10-20 drops of oil per gallon of diluted detergent. At that ratio you're at the level of disinfectant. And best of all, you're dealing with an all natural approach rather than a quaternary disinfectant that's toxic to work with.

2. Get some Odorcide. Although Odorcide is not a disinfectant, it will kill most odors at the source. And it's compatible with Releasit detergents, and won't mess up the encapsulation properties.

So there's a couple of good ways to treat odors using Releasit.

encapman.gif
Rick Gelinas
[linked image]

David Edwards

August 16 2010, 7:21 PM 

I'm not real familiar with this, so I'd like to ask just for educational purposes.

I was always under the impression that carpet could not be disinfected, since it's a 3-dimensional surface with dye-sites, etc. I know it can be "sanitized" but not "disinfected."

I also know this is splitting hairs but was trained long ago to be careful of which terms are used due, I guess, to liability.

Is this completely wrong or somewhat accurate?

David Edwards
Carpets To Go
New Bern, NC

Rick Gelinas

August 17 2010, 10:32 AM 

You may be splitting hairs, but you bring up a valid point. You're probably technically correct in saying that full disinfecting might not be achieved to a total degree, on account of carpet's ability to hide contaminants. However, using a disinfecting agent will certainly improve the condition of the carpet. And when it's all said and done, that's probably what the customer had in mind anyway.

In fact when it comes right down to it --- can we truthfully say that we "clean the carpet"? After all, there, will always be some percentage of soil left behind. So it can't truly be called "clean". wink.gif

encapman.gif
Rick Gelinas
[linked image]

Charles

Disinfectant

August 17 2010, 2:09 PM 

So is the carpet really clean? Here is part of a comment
from the other board last week. This guy is funny.

"Encapsulation is chemistry, not a cleaning method."

Everytime I use Encap D/S or Encap Basic I thought I was cleaning the carpet. The pictures look like one side is clean.
Guess I will waste some more money, Encap Basic & time cleaning a Berber carpet this Fri morning. Just pull the wool over the customers eyes. I'm going to use 6 oz of Encap Chemistry and scrub the carpet & in the end I bet the customer will be happy
and pay me. happy.gif

Hey Rick: The rest of that post is under Encapsulation Again,

Joel Riggs

Re: Disinfectant

August 17 2010, 6:08 PM 

LOl Charles. I saw that post also and thought it was funny. I love those attitudes though because My customers love the Releasit results.

you hit on the exact question I was having. I know that even when I HWE I am not dissenfecting or getting all of the dirt. And I cleaned a disgusting hole of a foreclosure the other day using HWE and didnt want to fully clean it in fear that the new owner would think that it was ok. And no matter how clean I appeared to get it looking I knew there would still be disgusting stuff under neath. So I was interested if there was someway that I coudl add some disinfecting power.

Thank you very much!!!!!!!!

Don Eldred

August 17 2010, 7:16 PM 

Not sure of the case in the USA, but here in Canada we do not use the word disinfect, one would need to be licensed to apply disinfectants. So we are always on our toes when someone asks for a disinfectant.

Joel Riggs

August 17 2010, 10:09 PM 

Politics are annoying. Im sure it is the same way down here. I just trying to make myself feel better after cleaning a rat nasty. Not planning on marketing as a disinfectant.

Shorty

I like to split hairs with an axe

August 18 2010, 2:20 AM 

Let's say you don't need a licence to "disinfect".

Now let's laugh a little and make believe that every single fibre and the carpet backing is disinfected.

We have the "perfect disinfected carpet", ( I've personally never known one, but hey, you know where I live wink.gif ), it may not be the cleanest, but hey, who cares.

Then the removalists turn up, walking across the grass, stepping in the puppies land mines and carting all other undesirables into the house and onto the carpet.

Oops, it's lunchtime, time to break out some tucker and some drinks.

What's a little spill here and there. ??

Then the family and kids arrive.

Plus their animals. !!!

The carpet is being lived on.

How long will it stay "disinfected" ??

Seems like a lot of hullaballoo about infinitesimal protestations, something I couldn't care less about. happy.gif

Ooroo,

I've seen the light, and changed my wicked ways. wink.gif
www.get.shorty.com.au

Joel Riggs

Re: I like to split hairs with an axe

August 18 2010, 12:58 PM 

This is the job that caused my question.

[linked image]

[linked image]

This was a foreclosure job that I told them The carpet needed to be replaced not cleaned. And they said they know but this bank cleans first every time and then replaces if necessary.

To be honest I didnt put an real effort on it the pictures dont do justice as to exactly how bad it was. It was the first time I have ever actually physically puked from a carpet that I was getting ready to clean.

Even though it is not my responsibility I could see me doing a good job on it and some slum lord deciding that it was "good enough" to rent out. I wouldnt want my kids on the carpet.

And it really has been bothering me to not put my best into a job so if there was some way that I felt like I sanitized or disinfected then I could put an honest effort jobs like this and not be irritated.

Al Taylor

Re: I like to split hairs with an axe

August 19 2010, 3:30 PM 

I really do appreciate post like these. Can save one tremendously time and heart-aches. Just knowing something that may seem so small as the use of wrong terminology. Thanks for the ligit question David.

Al Taylor

Weigh the meaning and look not at the words.

This message has been edited by myalexis on Aug 19, 2010 3:32 PM

Current Topic - Disinfectant?
RETURN TO INDEX  
EncapBoard Guidelines: 
This forum has been provided by Excellent Supply Inc for sharing information about encapsulation cleaning technology and the business of commercial carpet cleaning.  
Excellent Supply Inc and its agents assume no responsibility for the accuracy of information displayed on this message board. You alone are responsible for any repercussions resulting from information posted here. Content posted on this message board may be used or published by Excellent Supply Inc. 
(1) Unauthorized advertising, promotion of rival products/brands, or listing items for sale without consent will not be permitted. 
(2) No profane, vulgar or abusive speech will be tolerated. Your privilege of posting may be blocked if you flame, use profanity, or are disrespectful. 
(3) We reserve the right to delete any post and block any  individual that we feel is inappropriate. 
(4) This forum is politically and religiously neutral, so please avoid discussing those subjects here.
(5) Maintain a good sense of humor! But keep it clean.
You are a guest here so we invite you to please post respectfully. Enjoy!

Cimex + Releasit = RESULTS
www.Excellent-Supply.com