This message board has been upgraded to a new forum with a number of user improvements.
You are currently viewing archived posts from the original EncapBoard (2002-2012).
Please visit the NEW EncapBoard carpet cleaning forum at http://Forum.Excellent-Supply.com to join an active online community for commercial carpet cleaning.

RETURN TO INDEX  

Orbot Jug Holder

September 16 2010 at 6:55 PM
Matt 

Over a month ago the Jug Holder on our orbot broke the weld, mostly cause the bottom of the jugs were way to big to fit in the holder it self, and had to be forced on.

We now need new jugs, but are hesitant to order any because we dont want the same issues. Has anyone found a way to either replace the bracket or use a different jug?

thanks.

AuthorReply
Joe Gilstrap

Re: Orbot Jug Holder

September 16 2010, 7:45 PM 

Usually big jugs are a good thing, but anyway. Since your bracket is broke already, take it off and do some readjusting to make the jug fit better, then weld it back up.

I'll make you feel better Matt. I enjoyed using my Orbot for about 15 months without problem one. I parked everything that I owned and used the Orbot for commercial and residential. I cleaned several hundred thousand square feet of carpet, and enjoyed every inch of it. The Orbot is by far the best OP machine I have ever used.

But then about 6 weeks ago it came to a screeching halt. I started getting a vibration and the pads started wadding up under the pad driver.

I was told to get a new orbital drive assembly which is the flywheel, counter balance and bearing.
I was told that it was an improved version. I agreed, because it seemed logical to me. Installed it and if anything, it got worse. The vibration has graduated to a knocking sound and the pads still will not run under the machine.

Took it back apart, reinstalled the assembly, and still had the same problem.

Talked to HOS and we decided that I needed two new arms, because I had some looseness and play at the axle. The arms go from the cleaning head back to the handles and then to the wheels. The new and improved arms have an extra axle for more stability. Got all of that installed today. Guess what? No change. Knock, knock, knock, vibrate, vibrate, and pad wads and bunches up.

Now let me be clear, I am not slamming the Orbot or anyone who has tried to help me. I still want to return to using my favorite machine but am at a loss as to what to do next.

At this point I have invested around $450 in new parts, but still don't want to give up. $450 is nothing compared to the income the Orbot has generated for me.

I have checked everything I know to check, but my machine is still useless.

Anyone offering suggestions will be welcomed by me.

Count your blessings Matt, and keep on paddin.

Matt

September 16 2010, 11:42 PM 

Joe, I have already had to change my pad bearings due to the fact that I was leaving the head down during transport.

I know this sounds mundane, but is your velcro pad driver all full of cloth? I experiance the same problems and find cleaning it helps.

It is the best OP i have ever used, and hope to G O D it keeps working that way. (minor glitches aside ; jug holder, tea jets, etc.)

David Hebert

September 17 2010, 6:49 AM 

Wow that stinks for both of you.
I had to change the counter balance once because of a bad batch they put out. It was done under warrantee.

I leave my head down with a red pad on it all the time when in the van I was told to actually.

the Velcro driver would be my choice to check. Please let us know what it winds up being it could save some of us some time and money.

David.

I am glad I still have my 14 year old rotary never a problem with it.

RichardC

September 17 2010, 2:20 PM 

Love the machine but was a little surprised to replace the bearings on both of my Orbots in the last 6-months.

While we do a lot of sq/ft with them, they are not used daily. When we talked with HOS and they said it was a wear item.

I know others that own other brands of OP machines and have used them heavily for years and never replaced the bearings. ???

Great machines, but I'd have rather paid a little more if it meant the bearing would last longer.

Shorty

Joe & Richard

September 17 2010, 5:14 PM 

Joe, seeing as how you've spent that money and your machine is still down, why not return it to Hoss for them to fix.

This is a two way street.

It'll alert Hoss to any unforseen problems for their machines in future, and they'll know what to advise for any future problems of this nature.

It will get you back in business quicker, rather than try this/try that sort of thing.

Richard, I can see your point in quick failing bearings, but on a personal note, which machine would you rather use day in/day out??

From what I have seen and tried, (just a couple of times), the Hoss is more versatile, lighter, comfortable and does as good if not better than most other machines.

I may also be wrong in the above statement.

Ease of user use has become very important to me over the years to help preserve the body. wink.gif

I also shall be getting one for Christmas. happy.gif

Shortestwun.

I've seen the light, and changed my wicked ways. wink.gif
www.get.shorty.com.au

RichardC

Re: Joe & Richard

September 17 2010, 5:20 PM 

Agreed Shorty it's still the machine of choice for OP.

Matt

But no Jug issues??

September 17 2010, 10:29 PM 

Just to bring the thread back to full circle, has any one had trouble getting those jugs on the bracket, and eventually loose the weld for the bracket?

thanks!

Dustin.

no problems here

September 18 2010, 1:07 AM 

the jugs fit tight for a few days but after that fit in super easy. No other problems here. Closing in on a year and a half for the two machines, and ive done a ton of carpet res and comm and a bunch of hardfloor cleaning with the weight kits.

I travel with both heads in the up position and face the heads touching eachother, then strap the two machines together and to the back of my seat:) Seems to work great.

This message has been edited by TechClean on Sep 18, 2010 1:07 AM

Al Taylor

Re: But no Jug issues??

September 19 2010, 2:20 AM 

If you heat your water and then put the jugs in it slides right in. Bottle are soft and flexible

Al Taylor

Wiegh the meaning and look not at the words.

joel

September 18 2010, 9:25 PM 

just for the record its not just the orbot that can have these problems my op that is the "other brand" within the first year to year and a half i had to replace bearings twice the motor the drive plate and brush cup not to mention the welds on the handle and wheels breaking ( at least 4 trips to a welder ) and the handle release wire breaking and the bolts to the forks of the handle never ever ever ever staying tight and rattling like no other.

RichardC

September 20 2010, 9:19 AM 

Sorry to here that Joel, but I do feel better knowing it's not just the Orbot.
Thanks for responding.

Joseph

Bearings

September 20 2010, 2:44 PM 

I just wanted to share my experiences with everyone of fixing a couple of Orbots for friend. Firstly the bearing used in the orbital drive assembly(sounds very technical lol) is not meant to be operated with as much axial load as is present in these machines. (Axial load is caused by the weight of the head of the machine on the pad.) Ball bearings like the ones used in these machines are designed to support mainly radial loads, like an axle in a gearbox. When used under a high axial load, the bearing wears rapidly and generates excessive heat. As long as they keep using these bearings expect to keep replacing them, often. Also, the center pressed into the bearing that attaches to the counter weight plate, on the machines I have fixed was too tight a fit deforming the bearing when it was pressed in. On one machine the old bearing had an aluminum ring that was hammered to deform the metal to hold the bearing in. This had deformed the bearing as well and created a tight spot as the bearing spun. The new ring had a plate to retain the bearing and seemed better. Sometimes the machines have significant run out in the orbital drive assembly that causes accelerated wear. I hope this helps explain why the bearings are failing and hopefully they change the design in the future.

Current Topic - Orbot Jug Holder
RETURN TO INDEX  
EncapBoard Guidelines: 
This forum has been provided by Excellent Supply Inc for sharing information about encapsulation cleaning technology and the business of commercial carpet cleaning.  
Excellent Supply Inc and its agents assume no responsibility for the accuracy of information displayed on this message board. You alone are responsible for any repercussions resulting from information posted here. Content posted on this message board may be used or published by Excellent Supply Inc. 
(1) Unauthorized advertising, promotion of rival products/brands, or listing items for sale without consent will not be permitted. 
(2) No profane, vulgar or abusive speech will be tolerated. Your privilege of posting may be blocked if you flame, use profanity, or are disrespectful. 
(3) We reserve the right to delete any post and block any  individual that we feel is inappropriate. 
(4) This forum is politically and religiously neutral, so please avoid discussing those subjects here.
(5) Maintain a good sense of humor! But keep it clean.
You are a guest here so we invite you to please post respectfully. Enjoy!

Cimex + Releasit = RESULTS
www.Excellent-Supply.com