This message board has been upgraded to a new forum with a number of user improvements.
You are currently viewing archived posts from the original EncapBoard (2002-2012).
Please visit the NEW EncapBoard carpet cleaning forum at http://Forum.Excellent-Supply.com to join an active online community for commercial carpet cleaning.

RETURN TO INDEX  

Rotary or OP

September 21 2010 at 5:48 PM
Joe Gilstrap 

I have absolutely no experience cleaning carpet with a rotary machine, but I was wondering just how effective the rotary is. I know there are still a lot of people that use a rotary on commercial and residential.
Those of you that have experience with both methods, would you give your opinions?

Can you use OP pads under a rotary? Is the learning process for a rotary difficult?

This message has been edited by joeg345 on Sep 21, 2010 5:48 PM

AuthorReply
George

OP

September 21 2010, 5:58 PM 

It depends. If you have a slow OP it might be about the same speed, but, I have the CCS high speed and I can faster with a 15" than I could with a 17". I'm pretty sure I can go about as fast with the 15" as my 19" rotary.

You CAN use OP pads under a rotary. Doesn't mean you should. wink.gif I found microfiber bonnets (relatively thin) work better with a rotary than glad pads while glad pads run circles around anything else with the OP.

One thing about the microfiber, you can ring them out in hot water with a mop bucket and wringer so you only need 2 or 3 for most jobs (greasy stuff need more).

David Hebert

Re: OP

September 21 2010, 8:52 PM 

I am faster with my rotary then I am with the Orbot with either pad driver, but my back and arms feel better at the end of the day with the Orbot.
With the weigh set they might change. We also run a 320 speed 20 inch rotary. Glad pads microfiber, scrub pads, they will all work under a rotary, use a glide if you need to.

My biggest problem now is getting the Orbot out of my sons hands, if we are on a job together No Way will he use the rotary

David

Phil R

MY experience

September 21 2010, 9:45 PM 

175 is way faster and cleans better than the OP I HAD.

The learning curve is 1k feet.

George

David and Phil

September 21 2010, 11:21 PM 

If you are near the Knoxville Tn metro area you are more than welcome to try my Conq Breeze. Runs circles around the smaller orbit machines. I'm in the process of getting a 20". That vs the 20" 320 would be interesting.

Rick Gelinas

Or........

September 22 2010, 3:10 AM 

David Hebert

Re: David and Phil

September 22 2010, 9:56 AM 

We have tried a them, I like the Orbot the 20 inch driver moves along fine, again with added weight I bet it go faster, but after 14 years with a 320 speed 20 inch rotary operating it in my sleep is and understatement.

Rick I'd like to try the scrub 3 but the low gear in my buffer does not work.

David

Phil R

But understand

September 22 2010, 3:58 PM 

My issue may have been MY OP machine was not suited for CGD/speed. It also pulled really hard to the right alwyas and that caused me to stop often.

I also changed some variables such as:

I use Ricks Fiber Pads alot.

I use a carpet brush...alot.

And I have way more experience now than before.

I like 175 use, I can drive it like a sports car and am comparing it ONLY to the OP machine I used to own.

A cimex or breeze or any other machine may be very very different.

But dont knock a 175 till you try it. The simplicity of use is staggering once you dial in the 'how-to' portion.

Speed matters only when time matters. Quality is something I can charge for.

George

rotary

September 23 2010, 12:20 AM 

Phil, I'm down to just 2 rotaries a 13" and a 19". I had enough of rotaries in the Navy. happy.gif

I don't run a rotary side to side. I move it in ovals. I run my OP the same way.

If your OP was pulling to the right something was wrong with it. That would sour me on OP's in a hurry. The lack of physical effort to run the OP is a big draw for my dad - no issues with his wrists and shoulder. He is good for about 2 hours with a rotary. He can run the OP all day. Guess who gets the OP and who runs the 19" rotary.

Joe Gilstrap

Re: rotary

September 23 2010, 6:29 PM 

I have been told that running a rotary is almost effortless because of the fact that you don't manually move the machine around while cleaning. I thought a rotary was basically self propelled and the only effort required by the operator was a slight movement of the handle.
Is this not right? Remember, I have no rotary experience.

Phil R

It is right

September 23 2010, 6:50 PM 

The number one reason I love my 175 is how effortless it is to drive.

I can talk on the phone when using it. (do not tell my wife)
'sorry honey, I am cleaning'

happy.gif

David Hebert

Re: It is right

September 23 2010, 7:39 PM 

My wife knows everything we run can be operated and be able to talk at the same time, Blue Tooth is a great tool also.

George

yes, mostly

September 23 2010, 7:46 PM 

Once you know how to run a rotary it is easy. I just find the OP easier and easier to learn especially if you get a wheels on the ground OP.

As for my dad, he has issues with his wrists and one shoulder. The OP doesn't stress him to operate. I can operate either with ease, but, the easy glide/Defender/Orbot OP is VERY easy to run.

Watch this Easy Glide demo video. I tested one using the cord as shown in the video and even more.

imglink:geurkink.com/video/easyglidecon.wmv

Current Topic - Rotary or OP
RETURN TO INDEX  
EncapBoard Guidelines: 
This forum has been provided by Excellent Supply Inc for sharing information about encapsulation cleaning technology and the business of commercial carpet cleaning.  
Excellent Supply Inc and its agents assume no responsibility for the accuracy of information displayed on this message board. You alone are responsible for any repercussions resulting from information posted here. Content posted on this message board may be used or published by Excellent Supply Inc. 
(1) Unauthorized advertising, promotion of rival products/brands, or listing items for sale without consent will not be permitted. 
(2) No profane, vulgar or abusive speech will be tolerated. Your privilege of posting may be blocked if you flame, use profanity, or are disrespectful. 
(3) We reserve the right to delete any post and block any  individual that we feel is inappropriate. 
(4) This forum is politically and religiously neutral, so please avoid discussing those subjects here.
(5) Maintain a good sense of humor! But keep it clean.
You are a guest here so we invite you to please post respectfully. Enjoy!

Cimex + Releasit = RESULTS
www.Excellent-Supply.com