This message board has been upgraded to a new forum with a number of user improvements.
You are currently viewing archived posts from the original EncapBoard (2002-2012).
Please visit the NEW EncapBoard carpet cleaning forum at http://Forum.Excellent-Supply.com to join an active online community for commercial carpet cleaning.

RETURN TO INDEX  

Carpet Cleaning Quotes.

October 3 2010 at 10:18 PM
Matt  

Recently I have been doing alot of quotes for commercial buisnesses. My success rate this year has been horibly low.

I am quite personable, well dressed, educated. I come to do the inspection, do a walk through with the owner or decision maker, ask about their concerns, tell them what we offer.

I put together a professional quote, and send it in (always by email these days). Call that day to make sure it has been recieved, and follow up several days later to touch base.

I have come across two distinct responses (minus a YES!). First, and the most obvious, PRICE. We are out bid. I recently bid on a modest sized contract and was out bid by 100 bucks. (This place is right near where I live, and I get to see my competitor there every week!!) If I knew this I would have gladly try to negotiate, knowing it would be well worth it.

Second, the "We have been so busy, I haven't had a chance to look at it" response. They had the time to have me in, do a walk through (45 min avg time) and take my follow up calls. But no time to check out the proposal, which is a basic one page piece.

My Questions:

1. How can you stay actively involved with the potential client to know if you are going to miss this accout by a hundred bucks? I mean, short of waiting around for each company they call to finish their estimate, has anyone used any techniques that will at least give them the CHANCE to counter bid?

2. The obvious blow off. We are all busy, but obviously my price isn't what they expected. They want a better price, or just aren't convinced you are any different than the other guys. As a professional, how can I ask a client why they don't like my proposal, if they claim they haven't read it yet? Just short of calling them a liar!

I would like to note, that in previous years I sold my self on the VLM SYSTEM. Many people were very intrigued. I landed at least 75% of my quotes. I changed my approach for several reasons, but mostly because the biggest and best in the industry warn us NOT to market our tools, but our service.

I have also noticed that with out pushing my system, the potential client really has ZERO reason to spend more time having me do a demo. I even offered to clean the first hall way of a new development that consists of 11 buildings. The carpets were looking bad, spills etc. The response was a simple, "Im sure you can clean it good, you sound like you know what you are doing"

I know this is a very long post and thank any of you that has made it this far! This is a bit of rant as well, because I feel that I have let alot of nice opportunities float by.

Thanks for listening!!

AuthorReply
Al Taylor

Re: Carpet Cleaning Quotes.

October 4 2010, 12:00 AM 

I'm in the same predictiment I'm assuming I was out bidded. I will send a letter of reassurance that if you are not happy with what you have experienced I am still here to get the job done for you. I'm gonna highlight the solutions to the problems that they may still be experiencing like recurring spill stains.

I have become a vendor on a number of property manager's list. I just can't seeem to return on them soon enough as I have lots of other important things to tend to. I think I lost a 10,000 s.f. maintenance program because I didn't return soon enough. I won't give up cause its likely that they will experience recurring spill stains. And I will send another letter of solutions to they're problems.

Simply put, as Rick Gelinas encourages, persistance pays off!!!
Which is how I became a vendor to this company. Now I must be persistent in saling to all the properties they manage. (hallways & lobby areas)

Al Taylor

Wiegh the meaning and look not at the words.

Rick Gelinas

Re: Carpet Cleaning Quotes.

October 4 2010, 6:44 AM 

Hi Matt,

What are you using for marketing material?

I have seen that my closing rate is nearly 100% if I get a chance to get in the door and 1. provide a Carpet Inspection, 2. run through my PowerPoint Presentation, 3. do a Demo, and 4. provide a Written Proposal or Contract.

As Alex said, "persistence" too is a must! Keep in front of them. Herein lies a problem that many cleaners fail to recognize. Just because YOU want to sell them your services TODAY. They may not be interested in addressing their carpet cleaning TODAY. But there will come a time when they ARE INTERESTED in addressing their carpet cleaning and if you've demonstrated to them that you're the helpful "go to" guy who knows more about commercial carpet cleaning than anyone else in town you WILL be the first person they consider. So stay on it!

encapman.gif
Rick Gelinas
[linked image]

This message has been edited by cimex on Oct 4, 2010 7:00 AM

Phil R

Farming

October 4 2010, 6:53 AM 

I feel your pain.

I have found this carpet cleaning thing is more like farming. I plant seeds now for harvest later. Annoying too when obviously, the carpets look like crap. Well, all but that very clean area I just demo'ed.

I also see how they just don't really care as much about their carpets as it seemed they used to.

My plan is to plant more seeds so when they do call back, I may be too busy for the slowest ones.

David Hebert

Re: Farming

October 4 2010, 9:16 AM 

I have found networking and getting referred into buildings is the easiest way for us.

We have formed relationships with property management companies BCS/ janitorial firms, floor covering stores, even or cleaning companies who do not have the versatility in equipment we do.

two types of companies that refer us a lot are Restoration, and painting.

When you have been called because so and so says you are the people to call price is less of an issue, you will usually get a call back if your price is out of line with what they can pay.

Doing things this way has taken time but the rewards on the back side are worth it,

David

Matt

October 4 2010, 5:31 PM 

Thanks for the tips guys.

Rick - I do everything you suggested but the Power Point. I can only see my self getting that much attention from the DM if there is a boat load of carpet.

I also have been failing on the quotes that are looking for a cleaner NOW. They are scratching but my price is too high. I do plan to follow up over the year and keep touch, but to be honest, what makes me the "goto guy for commercial carpet cleaning in town?" Seems to me the most common issues are being addressed by more and more companies thanx to encap detergents. Its no secret anymore!

Networking & referals is the best source of income for my business, and probably should just stick with that. Seems I spend alot to advertise, print up material, etc. with hardly any return.

Unforunately it is all price for 90% of folks out there. I have been fortunate enough to have clients that care more than price, but they exist sparingly.

Thanks again for the responses

Jeff

October 5 2010, 5:59 AM 

Commercial is about continued follow up. Sure you will get referred to some, some will fall in your lap. However, many after the initial inspection/quote process is completed,stay in touch. I do quarterly mailings,occationally stop by when in the area,send promotions you have both residential and commercial. If you get either their commercial or residential its a safe bet you will eventually get the other.

I have been called 2 years after my initial contact, alot is about timing they may have had recent problems with existing carpet cleaner, new managment etc. I've even had some call me after a year for another quote, I have increased the amount of the quote and got the job. Be ambitious but don't appear desperate or the game is over, no one wants to hire someone no one else is using.

Just a countryboys 2 cents!

Current Topic - Carpet Cleaning Quotes.
RETURN TO INDEX  
EncapBoard Guidelines: 
This forum has been provided by Excellent Supply Inc for sharing information about encapsulation cleaning technology and the business of commercial carpet cleaning.  
Excellent Supply Inc and its agents assume no responsibility for the accuracy of information displayed on this message board. You alone are responsible for any repercussions resulting from information posted here. Content posted on this message board may be used or published by Excellent Supply Inc. 
(1) Unauthorized advertising, promotion of rival products/brands, or listing items for sale without consent will not be permitted. 
(2) No profane, vulgar or abusive speech will be tolerated. Your privilege of posting may be blocked if you flame, use profanity, or are disrespectful. 
(3) We reserve the right to delete any post and block any  individual that we feel is inappropriate. 
(4) This forum is politically and religiously neutral, so please avoid discussing those subjects here.
(5) Maintain a good sense of humor! But keep it clean.
You are a guest here so we invite you to please post respectfully. Enjoy!

Cimex + Releasit = RESULTS
www.Excellent-Supply.com