This message board has been upgraded to a new forum with a number of user improvements.
You are currently viewing archived posts from the original EncapBoard (2002-2012).
Please visit the NEW EncapBoard carpet cleaning forum at http://Forum.Excellent-Supply.com to join an active online community for commercial carpet cleaning.

RETURN TO INDEX  

Silk/Wool rug in store

October 6 2010 at 7:26 PM
Bob  

This rug is approx 40x20 - action back, custom area rug - $15K in a store with high traffic - just off the srteet. The rug is wool but the stripes are silk - stripes are higher than the wool. Store thinks that the silk is losing color - manufacturer says it's dirty. It is dirty - down 6 months and only been vaced by cleaning lady. My plan is to encap - store is open 7 days and must be dry by the AM. TM a no-no due to parking (NY City). Any thougts on this? I am going to try the photobuket thing:

Main floor:

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Behind counter:

This shows the dirty area - note it looks like it has lost some of the gold color:

The silk holds the color any place there is no traffic - hard to see in the pic but trust me.

AuthorReply

Rick Gelinas

Re: Silk/Wool rug in store

October 7 2010, 5:21 AM 

This is an excellent candidate for Encap-HydrOx. Encap-Clean DS would work well too. You won't have a problem.

Pre-spray first with either of these products to give the carpet a little extra dwell time (dilution is on the jug). Then scrub gently with the beige FiberPlus pads. Don't overdo it with the agitation. It should clean up well.

I've always thought that it's hilarious to see how these idiot designers recommend ridiculous floor coverings in commercial buildings. White silk stripes off a street in New York City - BRILLIANT wink.gif

encapman.gif
Rick Gelinas

CLICK HERE TO TAKE A FUN 1 MINUTE SURVEY

[linked image]

This message has been edited by cimex on Oct 7, 2010 5:22 AM

Charles

Silk Rug

October 7 2010, 7:40 AM 

Silk rugs should be DRY Cleaned only. Too many problems can happen when silk gets wet. Check out Baneclene.com

This is from the baneclene site: NOTE: If the rug is silk, dont wet clean it! Silk should only be dry cleaned because of the risks of yellowing, dye loss, ringing, and physical damage (silk loses about 20% of its strength when wet). Some silk is washable silk, which has been modified to be washable.

Also:http://www.therugchic.com

LISA WAGNER

It is stupid to put a rug like this in a busy business.

This message has been edited by Grossvater on Oct 7, 2010 10:45 AM

Rick Gelinas

Re: Silk Rug

October 7 2010, 6:38 PM 

True...
"Silk rugs should be DRY Cleaned only. "

However this isn't a "silk rug". It's a wool commercial carpet with stripes of silk. And it's glued to the floor. This should be totally OK if he follows what I recommended above. Encap-HydrOx will honestly do just fine on this commercial WOOL carpet with stripes of inlaid wool. Nothing to worry about.

encapman.gif
Rick Gelinas

CLICK HERE TO TAKE A FUN 1 MINUTE SURVEY

[linked image]

Bob

Re: Silk Rug

October 7 2010, 9:48 PM 

Look at it this way - if designers were doing the "rite thing" I wouldn't be putting in a crazy high bid for this job! I LOVE them!!!!!!

Geoff Alger

October 11 2010, 7:13 AM 

Bob

Just out of interest, have you done a fibre test on both the materials?

There seems to be enough loose threads to snip some off to test.

You might find that the silk isn't silk.

Bob

October 11 2010, 8:53 AM 

Did not - but I met with the mill rep from Thailand - thats all they make. They have one in a macy's also wuth the same issues - crazy!

Current Topic - Silk/Wool rug in store
RETURN TO INDEX  
EncapBoard Guidelines: 
This forum has been provided by Excellent Supply Inc for sharing information about encapsulation cleaning technology and the business of commercial carpet cleaning.  
Excellent Supply Inc and its agents assume no responsibility for the accuracy of information displayed on this message board. You alone are responsible for any repercussions resulting from information posted here. Content posted on this message board may be used or published by Excellent Supply Inc. 
(1) Unauthorized advertising, promotion of rival products/brands, or listing items for sale without consent will not be permitted. 
(2) No profane, vulgar or abusive speech will be tolerated. Your privilege of posting may be blocked if you flame, use profanity, or are disrespectful. 
(3) We reserve the right to delete any post and block any  individual that we feel is inappropriate. 
(4) This forum is politically and religiously neutral, so please avoid discussing those subjects here.
(5) Maintain a good sense of humor! But keep it clean.
You are a guest here so we invite you to please post respectfully. Enjoy!

Cimex + Releasit = RESULTS
www.Excellent-Supply.com