This message board has been upgraded to a new forum with a number of user improvements.
You are currently viewing archived posts from the original EncapBoard (2002-2012).
Please visit the NEW EncapBoard carpet cleaning forum at http://Forum.Excellent-Supply.com to join an active online community for commercial carpet cleaning.

RETURN TO INDEX  

Wool carpet shedding

December 28 2010 at 1:58 PM
Jerzy  

I received a call from a customer, 3,500 sq ft of new wool carpet installed in government facility. The customer complains it sheds too much. Installer told them to keep vacuuming. Any suggestions? Other then vacuuming the thing with a really good vac?

AuthorReply
Shorty

Filling

December 28 2010, 4:20 PM 

Many carpets including rugs, have extra "fillers" added to bulk up the carpet or rug.

This makes the product appear plusher, (and more sellable) wink.gif

Wool carpet typically has loose fibres.

This will shed out over time, it may take years depending on the wear use, amount of vacuuming and also the type of vacuum can have an effect.

As time goes on, the shedding will get less.

Have a great New Year,

Shorty down under.

I've seen the light, and changed my wicked ways. wink.gif
www.get.shorty.com.au

Rick Gelinas

Staple Fibers

December 28 2010, 6:39 PM 

In addition to what Shorty said about "filler fibers" (the man certainly knows wool - he's in Australia)... wool carpet/rugs are made from "staple fiber" i.e. SHORT STRANDS of fiber. Synthetic carpets/rugs are made from long strands of continuous synthetic fiber (the fibers are extruded). By comparison, sheep can't grow continuous long strands of hair - they can only grow hair that are a couple of inches long. And therein lies the issue. Short wool fibers will naturally work themselves loose from the carpet/rug (especially when it's new). It sounds like this is what your customer is seeing. Loose staple fibers shedding from the carpet/rug is a natural condition - it's simply the "nature of the beast" (literally). And this condition of staple fibers shedding from the carpet/rug will be even more pronounced when it comes to cheaper wool products. With wool carpets/rugs the condition of shedding is always going to present itself to some degree (and it will especially be apparent with new wool carpets/rugs). So it really sounds like what your customer is experiencing is normal. Shedding is what wool does naturally - since it comes from an animal.

Rick Gelinas

encapman.gif

bulk_polymer.jpg

This message has been edited by cimex on Dec 28, 2010 8:43 PM
This message has been edited by cimex on Dec 28, 2010 6:41 PM

Jerzy

Re: Staple Fibers

December 28 2010, 11:55 PM 

Well I used my back pack vacuum tonight on the area. I collected 7 six quart bags stuffed full of fiber. They are using an upright, it clogs in about ten feet and done. So I talked him into buying a vacuum like mine. And as usual expressed the importance of Maintenance. Also picked up 8,000 sq ft of carpet cleaning. Very up scale hotel in a famous military Base.
Thanks for the replies so quickly. Happy New Year gentleman.

This message has been edited by Misteryez on Dec 29, 2010 11:29 AM

Don Eldred

December 29 2010, 8:32 AM 

That seems like a lot of loose fibre to me. I would suggest they watch this and if the trend goes on too long they may have a manufacturing problem

Jerzy

December 29 2010, 11:23 AM 

That was my suggestion, keep vacuuming if problem persists contact a carpet inspector.

This message has been edited by Misteryez on Dec 29, 2010 11:38 AM

Current Topic - Wool carpet shedding
RETURN TO INDEX  
EncapBoard Guidelines: 
This forum has been provided by Excellent Supply Inc for sharing information about encapsulation cleaning technology and the business of commercial carpet cleaning.  
Excellent Supply Inc and its agents assume no responsibility for the accuracy of information displayed on this message board. You alone are responsible for any repercussions resulting from information posted here. Content posted on this message board may be used or published by Excellent Supply Inc. 
(1) Unauthorized advertising, promotion of rival products/brands, or listing items for sale without consent will not be permitted. 
(2) No profane, vulgar or abusive speech will be tolerated. Your privilege of posting may be blocked if you flame, use profanity, or are disrespectful. 
(3) We reserve the right to delete any post and block any  individual that we feel is inappropriate. 
(4) This forum is politically and religiously neutral, so please avoid discussing those subjects here.
(5) Maintain a good sense of humor! But keep it clean.
You are a guest here so we invite you to please post respectfully. Enjoy!

Cimex + Releasit = RESULTS
www.Excellent-Supply.com