This message board has been upgraded to a new forum with a number of user improvements.
You are currently viewing archived posts from the original EncapBoard (2002-2012).
Please visit the NEW EncapBoard carpet cleaning forum at http://Forum.Excellent-Supply.com to join an active online community for commercial carpet cleaning.

RETURN TO INDEX  

encap as a LEED compliant method of cleaning commerical??

January 6 2011 at 8:14 PM
Carl  

I have been doing some looking and can not find out if VLM or encap is LEEDs compliant or not.. the green building website is kinda lacking in what kind of maintenance procedures are compliant..

I have been mentioning the fact as far as i can tell encap would be a LEED compliant method as it uses less water than HWE, it uses less energy ie gas, than HWE and there is no waste water to contend with.

any thought or comments.

AuthorReply
David Edwards

Re: encap as a LEED compliant method of cleaning commerical??

January 6 2011, 9:08 PM 

As far as I can tell, it comes down to two things: Chems & equipment.

Check out this pdf:http://www.usgbc.org/ShowFile.aspx?DocumentID=5545

On page 78, chems to be used are guidelined. I don't see where CRI approval is enough - the chems have to be green seal certified.

On page 79, equipment is covered. Take a look under the sub-heading Requirement (it's not that much to read.) I would say that planetary/rotary equipment would not be acceptable even though (in my opinion) it should be.

Many of us know that VLM can and does perform as a stand-alone system, but that is not widely accepted at this point. Until it is, I don't think it will be rated to qualify as LEED compliant.

David Edwards
Carpets To Go
New Bern, NC

Carl

January 6 2011, 10:00 PM 

page 78 is talking about hand soaps:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Hand soaps meet 1 or more of the following standards:
No antimicrobial agents (other than as a preservative) except where required by health codes and other
regulations (e.g., food service and health care requirements).
Green Seal GS-41, for industrial and institutional hand cleaners.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

page 79 talk about equipment: I see nothing about that would disallow a cimex.. it uses a on-board chemical metering to optimize the use of cleaning fluids. and Powered equipment is ergonomically designed to minimize vibration, noise and user fatigue.
Equipment is designed with safeguards, such as rollers or rubber bumpers, to reduce potential damage to
building surfaces.

sounds like we (encap) are more compliant than the rotary machine that can kill, and is very tiresome to use that most of the janitoral companies are using..

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Requirement
Implement a program for the use of janitorial equipment that reduces building contaminants and minimizes
environmental impact. The cleaning equipment program must require the following:
Vacuum cleaners are certified by the Carpet and Rug Institute Green Label Testing Program for vacuum
cleaners and operate with a sound level of less than 70dBA.
Carpet extraction equipment used for restorative deep cleaning is certified by the Carpet and Rug Institutes
Seal of Approval Testing Program for deep-cleaning extractors.
Powered floor maintenance equipment, including electric and battery-powered floor buffers and burnishers, is
equipped with vacuums, guards and/or other devices for capturing fine particulates and operates with a sound
level of less than 70dBA.
Propane-powered floor equipment has high-efficiency, low-emissions engines with catalytic converters and
mufflers that meet the California Air Resources Board (CARB) or Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
standards for the specific engine size and operate with a sound level of less than 90dBA.
Automated scrubbing machines are equipped with variable-speed feed pumps and on-board chemical
metering to optimize the use of cleaning fluids. Alternatively, the scrubbing machines use only tap water with
no added cleaning products.
Battery-powered equipment is equipped with environmentally preferable gel batteries.
Powered equipment is ergonomically designed to minimize vibration, noise and user fatigue.
Equipment is designed with safeguards, such as rollers or rubber bumpers, to reduce potential damage to
building surfaces.

David Edwards

January 6 2011, 10:31 PM 

My bad - page 77.

" Environmental Choice CCD-148, for carpet and upholstery care"

As for equipment, " Powered floor maintenance equipment, including electric and battery-powered floor buffers and burnishers, is
equipped with vacuums, guards and/or other devices for capturing fine particulates and operates with a sound
level of less than 70dBA."

I'm not saying this applies to planetary/rotary when used on carpet, but if they wanted to be anal about it then I can't imagine why they'd differentiate hard-surface from carpet when it comes to this requirement.

I'm with you and think VLM encap is more compliant and environmentally friendly than other methods, but I'm just not sure it will qualify under government regs. Especially when others start whining about encap not being a legitimate stand-alone method.

David Edwards
Carpets To Go

This message has been edited by cimex on Jan 7, 2011 1:44 AM

Joel Riggs

January 8 2011, 10:52 AM 

I think that does qualify a host crb machine though.

David

January 8 2011, 2:40 PM 

It is really laughable what some deem as green or environmentally friendly.

Water is a renewable resource, even if you are using electric machine that power is usually generated by a coal, or oil fired plant. Many green seal chemicals are anything but friendly to humans which is more important if you ask me.

If you VLM and use bonnets or pads they still need to be washed rite?
How much chemicals and water is used in that process, or doesn't that figure into the equation.

David Edwards

January 8 2011, 7:15 PM 

"If you VLM and use bonnets or pads they still need to be washed rite?
How much chemicals and water is used in that process, or doesn't that figure into the equation."

David, just a theoretical thought here, but if you use bonnets & pads in VLM encap... aren't they being cleaned every time you use them? Just let them dry and vacuum.

(Yes, it's a joke.)

Shorty

OooooooAaaaaaaaaaa

January 22 2011, 4:10 PM 

Only just read this, didn't know what LEEDS was.

Still don't, but presume it's some type of legal recommendation you people have over there.

Because I'm up top down under, the soiling in my pads tends to generate to the top of the pad where it crystalises as it dries.

It is then reactivated the next time the tank is filled and cleaning the carpet commences.

I never take my pads off Big Yella to wash them, actually they never come off the drivers until they're ready to be discarded, or I decide to reverse them on the drivers.

I also don't wash them prior to chucking them.

It would be like money laundering. happy.gif

I still don't know what the LEEDS thing is, but if it's anything like the "other" high powered recommendation certification conundrum that is purely a money making exercise, then my conscience is clean.

Sorry I haven't been able to answer your question. sad.gif

Current Topic - encap as a LEED compliant method of cleaning commerical??
RETURN TO INDEX  
EncapBoard Guidelines: 
This forum has been provided by Excellent Supply Inc for sharing information about encapsulation cleaning technology and the business of commercial carpet cleaning.  
Excellent Supply Inc and its agents assume no responsibility for the accuracy of information displayed on this message board. You alone are responsible for any repercussions resulting from information posted here. Content posted on this message board may be used or published by Excellent Supply Inc. 
(1) Unauthorized advertising, promotion of rival products/brands, or listing items for sale without consent will not be permitted. 
(2) No profane, vulgar or abusive speech will be tolerated. Your privilege of posting may be blocked if you flame, use profanity, or are disrespectful. 
(3) We reserve the right to delete any post and block any  individual that we feel is inappropriate. 
(4) This forum is politically and religiously neutral, so please avoid discussing those subjects here.
(5) Maintain a good sense of humor! But keep it clean.
You are a guest here so we invite you to please post respectfully. Enjoy!

Cimex + Releasit = RESULTS
www.Excellent-Supply.com