This message board has been upgraded to a new forum with a number of user improvements.
You are currently viewing archived posts from the original EncapBoard (2002-2012).
Please visit the NEW EncapBoard carpet cleaning forum at http://Forum.Excellent-Supply.com to join an active online community for commercial carpet cleaning.

RETURN TO INDEX  

Cotton Church Pew Upholstery!

February 20 2011 at 10:55 PM
Aaron Baum  

I have been given a 9' cotton church pew cushion that I believe is velvet. It has multiple juice stains on it and some candle wax spots. I know I need to start with a good inspection and lots of vacuuming, but am looking for your advice on the best way to clean.

Thank You in advance!
Aaron Baum happy.gif

AuthorReply

Rick Gelinas

Re: Cotton Church Pew Upholstery!

February 21 2011, 4:16 AM 

Cotton can turn brown easily. After a good vacuuming I would clean it using a low moisture approach with Encap-HydrOx. Here's how to do it...

Mix Encap-HydrOx at 10 oz per gallon in a bucket. And then take the Rota Drill brush and spin the brush in the bucket. (The Rota Brush has very soft bristles.) Whip up some foam in the bucket. Then gradually work the brush across the fabric in a overlapping circular pattern. As you clean each small section of the fabric take terry cloth towels and towel off each section. Brush the fabric with the towel in one direction according to the lay of the fabric. Make sure that you are working with the moisture very evenly and try to avoid over-wetting any section. And for the juice spots - you could use Encap-HydrOx mixed 1:3 with water as a strong spotter. This simple low moisture approach works well for upholstery cleaning.

[linked image]

[linked image]

Rick Gelinas

encapman.gif

bulk_polymer.jpg

Aaron Baum

Thank You, Rick!

February 21 2011, 11:24 AM 

Hi Rick,

Thanks so much for the quick reply as usual! I just have a few additional questions if you dont mind?

1.) I was given this one cushion so far as a TEST to see if the cushion will survive the effects of a good cleaning and to see if the stains and wax spots can be removed or lightned up.

2.) They also wanted to see if it will not withstand the cleaning procedures and if they will or will not have to change direction and have them all re-upholstered.

3.) The cushions are of a lightish blue color with buttons on the surface, and the blue fabric also wraps around the sides and ends, and does have I believe jute piping. The back or bottom of the cushion has a off white cotton material covering and does appear to have some browning from moisture in different areas.

4.) From your reply, I am understanding that you would NOT HWE this piece, but would clean using the rota brush and Encap Hydrox as noted and toweling off in the direction of the pile. About how far would you suggest I go before I stop and towel off the section?

5.) They reported choir members having to get up at times and having to use their asthma inhalers all of a sudden because of attacks they are guessing are coming from the build up of dry soils in the cushions. The cushions are about 80 yrs old they estimate, and of course have been abused! happy.gif

6.) I will attempt to post some before and after pics of the job, but am not sure how to do that. I do use Photobucket.com

Sorry this is so longwinded, but I wanted to give you as much info as I could about the project. I will have to write up and present a cleaning proposal to the church after I know about how long it will take me to clean this one cushion.

Thank you very much for your help!
Aaron Baum

Rick Gelinas

Re: Thank You, Rick!

February 21 2011, 1:55 PM 

I think this is going to be a nightmare. Upholstery that is 80 year old, that's been neglected, and is creating health problems for people is something to avoid. Seriously! I would walk - no, run - from this one! Some jobs are just not worth it.

If you really want to try and with the additional information you've provided I would consider using even less moisture still. Perhaps pre-vacuum real well. Then use a soft hand brush and the powdered cleaner from Brush & Clean. It is an excellent low moisture cleaner. It will require lots of gentle hand brushing. Take your time and brush the soil out of the fabric and into the powder. And then go back and re-vacuum after you have brushed the fabric with the powdered cleaner and it has had a chance to dry (it has some moisture in the powder). I know this sounds crazy, but I think it could work.

[linked image]

But I would not touch this with water. And one more thing - don't make any promises. Under-promise if you decide to try your hand on this one.

Using this method you could still do some individual hand spotting on juice stains with a strong mixture of Encap-HydrOx - but my guess is that the stains probably won't budge. And for candle wax, you could freeze the spots and chip away the wax. However if the candles were colored there's another problem.

[linked image]

At the end of the day though, I am doubting that you can perform a miracle on 80 year old velvet. I still think you may be best to avoid this one.

P.S. Posting pictures is easy. Here's simple step by step instructions for posting images...
[linked image]

Rick Gelinas

encapman.gif

bulk_polymer.jpg

This message has been edited by cimex on Feb 21, 2011 3:15 PM

Aaron Baum

Re: Thank You, Rick!

February 21 2011, 9:28 PM 

Thank you, Rick! You have helped me to see the light when it came to attempting this nightmare of an upholstery cleaning job! happy.gif I need to learn to say NO once in a while and grow my commercial carpet and floor care business more! Have a great night!!

Aaron

Current Topic - Cotton Church Pew Upholstery!
RETURN TO INDEX  
EncapBoard Guidelines: 
This forum has been provided by Excellent Supply Inc for sharing information about encapsulation cleaning technology and the business of commercial carpet cleaning.  
Excellent Supply Inc and its agents assume no responsibility for the accuracy of information displayed on this message board. You alone are responsible for any repercussions resulting from information posted here. Content posted on this message board may be used or published by Excellent Supply Inc. 
(1) Unauthorized advertising, promotion of rival products/brands, or listing items for sale without consent will not be permitted. 
(2) No profane, vulgar or abusive speech will be tolerated. Your privilege of posting may be blocked if you flame, use profanity, or are disrespectful. 
(3) We reserve the right to delete any post and block any  individual that we feel is inappropriate. 
(4) This forum is politically and religiously neutral, so please avoid discussing those subjects here.
(5) Maintain a good sense of humor! But keep it clean.
You are a guest here so we invite you to please post respectfully. Enjoy!

Cimex + Releasit = RESULTS
www.Excellent-Supply.com