This message board has been upgraded to a new forum with a number of user improvements.
You are currently viewing archived posts from the original EncapBoard (2002-2012).
Please visit the NEW EncapBoard carpet cleaning forum at http://Forum.Excellent-Supply.com to join an active online community for commercial carpet cleaning.

RETURN TO INDEX  

Cleaning Ball Point Ink on leather

May 19 2011 at 1:34 PM
EncapDrew 

Leather is not my area of Expertise! I was hoping someone out there could let me know the best way to remove ink from a leather couch?

javascript:enlrge('../pc/catalog/driver_1799_thumb.jpg')

AuthorReply

Kevin Pearson

It depends ... you got a picture

May 20 2011, 7:47 AM 

Drew, it depends on the type of leather. Is it smooth, rough, suede, painted on, tanned, etc. It would probably help if you had a picture that we could see. That javascript thing at the bottom of your post I am guessing is supposed to be a picture but I can not see it or open it. Also, how much ink. Depending on the leather we have taken dry cleaning fluid or other solvents on a rag and wiped the ink right off, but you can't do that on some leathers or it will discolor them.

I am not an expert on leather either Drew, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Kevin Pearson
http://www.pearsoncarpetcare.com

This message has been edited by Kevin_Pearson on May 20, 2011 7:50 AM
This message has been edited by Kevin_Pearson on May 20, 2011 7:49 AM

Shorty

Many variables

May 20 2011, 8:14 AM 

Drew,
there are many things to consider before you tackle this job in my opinion.

What is the type of leather.??

How long has the ink been on leather.??

Has anything been used to try and clean the ink off.??

That is only the beginning.

If it has been more than 48 hours, it may need restoring more than cleaning.

If it is a pigmented leather (protected), there is a strong possibility that you will damage the urethane coating, thereby needing the expertise to re-apply that coating, as well as restoring any color loss.

If it is a natural, ie; Aniline or Suede (Nubuck), you will have further problems.

If you find you are in unfamiliar territory, advise your client to find a qualified leather restorer, better still, find one yourself and refer them.

Carpet cleaning can be very forgiving, leather, and it's fastidious owners, often are not.

Summing up, if you don't know what to do, don't give yourself a bad name, refer an expert, this way, your customer will have more respect for you for being upfront and honest.

But that is only my opinion.

Best of luck.

EncapDrew

Re: Many variables

May 20 2011, 11:42 AM 

It appears to be a painted leather because there is color variation. It has has been cleaned with 409 and other household cleaners. As a result the color has been removed in a few small areas! My goal would be to remove the ink and fix repair the color if possible! http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f331/EncapDrew/th_IMG_0744.jpg" alt="[linked image]">

Joe Gilstrap

Re: Many variables

May 22 2011, 4:05 PM 

Cyclone from VacAway is the best ink remover for upholstery that I have seen. The fact that you are dealing with leather should not be a problem. That stuff has amazed me.

Current Topic - Cleaning Ball Point Ink on leather
RETURN TO INDEX  
EncapBoard Guidelines: 
This forum has been provided by Excellent Supply Inc for sharing information about encapsulation cleaning technology and the business of commercial carpet cleaning.  
Excellent Supply Inc and its agents assume no responsibility for the accuracy of information displayed on this message board. You alone are responsible for any repercussions resulting from information posted here. Content posted on this message board may be used or published by Excellent Supply Inc. 
(1) Unauthorized advertising, promotion of rival products/brands, or listing items for sale without consent will not be permitted. 
(2) No profane, vulgar or abusive speech will be tolerated. Your privilege of posting may be blocked if you flame, use profanity, or are disrespectful. 
(3) We reserve the right to delete any post and block any  individual that we feel is inappropriate. 
(4) This forum is politically and religiously neutral, so please avoid discussing those subjects here.
(5) Maintain a good sense of humor! But keep it clean.
You are a guest here so we invite you to please post respectfully. Enjoy!

Cimex + Releasit = RESULTS
www.Excellent-Supply.com