This message board has been upgraded to a new forum with a number of user improvements.
You are currently viewing archived posts from the original EncapBoard (2002-2012).
Please visit the NEW EncapBoard carpet cleaning forum at http://Forum.Excellent-Supply.com to join an active online community for commercial carpet cleaning.

RETURN TO INDEX  

Upholstery advice

January 11 2012 at 11:51 AM
Kenny 

I need some advice. I have never cleaned cotton or wool upholstery. Today I got calls for both.

The wool chair is 40 years old and a solid cream color. It appears to be in good shape and some type of heavy weave (almost like a basket weave). The nice lady at Excellent Supply told me that Hydrox should work well so I am planning to work that in with a brush or sea sponge and dry with an Airpath fan. Any more suggestions?

The cotton sofa was purchased 2nd hand and looks to be at least 10-15 years old. It is white with thin blue stripes and in need of a cleaning. I will test for bleeding but I am worried about browning/water marks. Should I run from this job or could I clean it with Hydrox and a brush or sea sponge and dry with an Airpath fan. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

AuthorReply

Rick Gelinas

Re: Upholstery advice

January 11 2012, 5:48 PM 

Low moisture cleaning with Encap-HydrOx is a good way to go. The possibility of browning is reduced. But browning on cotton is a very real problem, so AS ALWAYS it's still a wise practice to test in an inconspicuous area first before actual cleaning. Check for colorfastness/bleeding, as well as browning.

Rick Gelinas

encapman.gif

encap-clean-ds2.jpegbio-encap.jpeg

Kenny

January 11 2012, 10:27 PM 

Thanks. With cotton, does the browning usually occur as the upholstery dries or hours later?

This message has been edited by KennyWright on Jan 11, 2012 10:45 PM

Rick Gelinas

January 12 2012, 2:38 AM 

As soon as its dry.

Rick Gelinas

encapman.gif

Shorty

Quick dry

January 12 2012, 6:34 AM 

I believe (although I haven't used Hydrox), that you shouldn't have a problem with cellulosic browning.

I also believe that Hydrox contains Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) doesn't it Rick?

If so, this should eliminate the cellulosic browning that originates from the plant material that produces the tannins.

sad.gif Can't remember the flamin' proper name, Lignun?

I would also take along a small fan to help speed dry the fabric as well as multiple drying strokes.

Must be time for a Kilkenny wink.gif

Ooroo,

Shorty.

Kenny

Re: Quick dry

January 12 2012, 8:12 AM 

Thanks for the advice. I'll set an airpath in front to speed drying.

Shorty

NO !!!!!

January 12 2012, 3:46 PM 

NOT directly in front, but to blow across the surface, not into it..

Put the Airpath to one side wink.gif you don't want to be pushing moisture deeper into the fabric.

Take care,

Shorty

This message has been edited by Shortwunincairns on Jan 12, 2012 3:47 PM

Don Eldred

Re: NO !!!!!

January 12 2012, 5:07 PM 

I would prefer to see you HWE using proper upholstery cleaning techniques and detergents. It is a must to run a acid side rinse to eliminate any chance of browning. Proper HWE will be as dry if not drier than the low moisture many people subscribe to. That is my 2 cents worth.

David Hebert

Re: NO !!!!!

January 12 2012, 8:24 PM 

I would use my Sapphire UPH tool on these fabrics

http://www.sapphirescientific.com/Content_003.aspx?cid=1233

I do agree proper HWE will dry as fast or faster

Rick Gelinas

YES!!!

January 13 2012, 6:05 PM 

Don,

You mentioned....
" It is a must to run a acid side rinse to eliminate any chance of browning. Proper HWE will be as dry if not drier than the low moisture many people subscribe to."

Can the very best acid rinse compare with Encap-HydrOx that has a pH of 3.5 in concentrate?
And does the best acid rinse in the industry also contain a strong hydrogen peroxide base?
Those two features will do a number on just about any browning situation we might encounter.
Encap-HydrOx is a pretty solid contender for this type of work!

Add a low moisture cleaning approach along with a fan as discussed above, and we've got a serious low moisture approach that can address just about any browning situation quite nicely. happy.gif

Rick Gelinas

encapman.gif

This message has been edited by cimex on Jan 13, 2012 6:06 PM
This message has been edited by cimex on Jan 13, 2012 6:06 PM

Kenny

Re: YES!!!

January 14 2012, 10:22 AM 

The owners live near me. I did a test area on the zippered side of one cushion with DS (I didn't have Hydrox available)and a the brush/drill attachment. It turned out very nice and no browning so I am confident that Hydrox and a fan will work well.

Kenny

Worked fine

January 21 2012, 9:35 PM 

The cotton sofa turned out very nice using hydrox, the brush drill attachment, and a horsehair brush. I sprayed the hydrox on with a pump sprayer then dried with an Airpath fan.

Current Topic - Upholstery advice
RETURN TO INDEX  
EncapBoard Guidelines: 
This forum has been provided by Excellent Supply Inc for sharing information about encapsulation cleaning technology and the business of commercial carpet cleaning.  
Excellent Supply Inc and its agents assume no responsibility for the accuracy of information displayed on this message board. You alone are responsible for any repercussions resulting from information posted here. Content posted on this message board may be used or published by Excellent Supply Inc. 
(1) Unauthorized advertising, promotion of rival products/brands, or listing items for sale without consent will not be permitted. 
(2) No profane, vulgar or abusive speech will be tolerated. Your privilege of posting may be blocked if you flame, use profanity, or are disrespectful. 
(3) We reserve the right to delete any post and block any  individual that we feel is inappropriate. 
(4) This forum is politically and religiously neutral, so please avoid discussing those subjects here.
(5) Maintain a good sense of humor! But keep it clean.
You are a guest here so we invite you to please post respectfully. Enjoy!

Cimex + Releasit = RESULTS
www.Excellent-Supply.com