Encapsulation carpet cleaning and commercial carpet care forum by Excellent-Supply.com & Releasit

Full Version: Dwell time
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Everyone talks about dwell time and I was just wondering do most of you pre spray before you use your cimex or orbital? I often use a crb and prespray with 60 psi sprayer. Then use crb with no solution attached. ( previously used duplex crb with shower feed) thanks for input..
I don't prespray, but I use a rotary with a shower-feed. I do, however, utilize dwell time and always found it better (personally) to do so. I make a pass over an area laying solution down, then come back for the scrub - so it dwells for a couple of minutes before I get aggressive with it.

Hope this helps, and I'm sure others will be along with their own preferred procedure. Ultimately, it will depend on you, your equipment (and how you use it) and the environment you're cleaning.

(But I feel as though I'm telling you what you already know...)
I use an Orbot. I vacuum thoroughly first, then pre-spot, then pre-spray, then OP. Dwell time for pre-spot is usually about 15 min, 20 min for pre-spray. I've achieved remarkable results with this process.
Ditto.

Dwell, imo, is critical - especially in residential.

I would add a CRB before vaccing....if I owned a CRB.

(05-10-2013, 12:21 AM)JuddBowers Wrote: [ -> ]I use an Orbot. I vacuum thoroughly first, then pre-spot, then pre-spray, then OP. Dwell time for pre-spot is usually about 15 min, 20 min for pre-spray. I've achieved remarkable results with this process.
(05-10-2013, 03:21 AM)TheCleaningDude Wrote: [ -> ]Ditto.

Dwell, imo, is critical - especially in residential.

I would add a CRB before vaccing....if I owned a CRB.

I use my CRB as the last step. Mostly for the stripes it leaves, its a mental thing with customers, they love those stripes!
need more input.

resi always.

CGD never.
Always dwell time on residential, some times on commercial.
Since my CRB leaves little fuzz balls sometimes...I use it first (on really dirty residential) then vac, then OP and I finish with the vac for fancy stripes. It's true, they do love the stripes! So do I.
On a not so dirty resi, I vac, prespray, OP, Maybe CRB traffic lanes, then vac.
(05-10-2013, 01:18 PM)MikeB Wrote: [ -> ]Always dwell time on residential, some times on commercial.
Since my CRB leaves little fuzz balls sometimes...I use it first (on really dirty residential) then vac, then OP and I finish with the vac for fancy stripes. It's true, they do love the stripes! So do I.

1-Vacuum
2-Prespray
3-OP
4-CRB
5-Vacuum
How can you make any money doing all of that to every room? I could do 3 or 4
rooms with my TM, in the time it takes you to do one. I have an Orbot, Cimex, and 15'' Whittaker CRB, but I can do it so much faster with my TM. Commercial it works, but residential, I just don't know how you guys do it. Pet stains, soil filtration, red stains, pet odor, heavily soiled, how do you guys do it?
Most guys would CRB before they vacuum, but yeah, I get what you're saying.

VLM - especially if you're trying to do a good job - takes longer.

(05-10-2013, 02:38 PM)george8585 Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-10-2013, 01:18 PM)MikeB Wrote: [ -> ]Always dwell time on residential, some times on commercial.

1-Vacuum
2-Prespray
3-OP
4-CRB
5-Vacuum
How can you make any money doing all of that to every room? I could do 3 or 4
rooms with my TM, in the time it takes you to do one. I have an Orbot, Cimex, and CRB, but I can do it so much faster with my TM. Commercial it works, but residential, I just don't know how you guys do it. Pet stains, soil filtration, red stains, pet odor, heavily soiled, how do you guys do it?
The last VLM job I did with my Orbot, 4 B/R Hall Steps Basement F/R took me 4 hours. It didn't have many stains, 4 hours. I truely believe I could have done that in 2 - 2 1/2 hours with my TM. You really need a helper with VLM, that would really get the job done faster.
I agree residential vlm takes longer than with truckmount. I think it's a niche market and you can charge more than the suck and squirt..of course there are those not willing to pay..but many are due to the tm hacks that do a 2500 sq ft house in 1 hr... Even when I was using only truckmount I would spend 3 to 4 hours on a house that size..so unfortunately many cleaners trying to earn a fast buck make the industry shady...Also not as much overhead with vlm so more profit margin to play with..
(05-10-2013, 05:31 PM)george8585 Wrote: [ -> ]The last VLM job I did with my Orbot, 4 B/R Hall Steps Basement F/R took me 4 hours. It didn't have many stains, 4 hours. I truely believe I could have done that in 2 - 2 1/2 hours with my TM. You really need a helper with VLM, that would really get the job done faster.

NEED a helper? I don't. VLM all the way and making the target $ /hr that we all talk about... Faster with a helper of course a helper speeds up any job.

So why would i need a helper?
IMO a good helper is huge. What is your time worth? Would adding on another job or being done two hours early be important? Plus how do you feel at the end of the day making 1/2 the trips to the van or up and down stairs? For HWE have a helper pre vac. You can prespray maybe CRB. And then they can floor wand it out. They can load equipment while you finish up with a customer. Now if you want to do 2-3 jobs a day. It's not a big deal. We try to do 5 jobs a day per van. Just having someone to pre vac and prep is a big deal.
In my past life I was a flat rate GM service dept tech. I made a career out of being efficient.
Doing vlm is time consuming but with efficient steps and having a system in place that is repetitive, it's not so bad. I almost never have a helper and almost always hit or exceed my target dollar per hour on residential. I don't do 5 homes a day and don't want to. Everything is realative. Smile
Vlm can be extremely low overhead and very high profit margin. I'd just rather work at a comfortable pace and keep more or what I earn.
(05-11-2013, 10:50 AM)MikeB Wrote: [ -> ]In my past life I was a flat rate GM service dept tech. I made a career out of being efficient.
Doing vlm is time consuming but with efficient steps and having a system in place that is repetitive, it's not so bad. I almost never have a helper and almost always hit or exceed my target dollar per hour on residential. I don't do 5 homes a day and don't want to. Everything is realative. Smile
Vlm can be extremely low overhead and very high profit margin. I'd just rather work at a comfortable pace and keep more or what I earn.

Mike

I'm with you. I have several friends that stepped up to the plate (with trade services) they grew to 10-15 vans and although they do a lot less physical labor they don't profit much more than when they ran 1 van.
Pages: 1 2 3