• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How would you handle this?...
Recently our cat past away, however, just before this for about a week she was urinating and pooping (diarrhea) in an upstairs room in our house. It smells like it too! Seeing as I am about to take possession of a new vario op machine, I am curious if I could solve this cleaning challenge without a truck mount. I do have a truck mount as well as a spot claw, however, given that this is in my own home, I thought it would be cool to learn how I might approach this if I did not have a truck mount. So that’s the question, how would you approach this from low-moisture standpoint using bonnets. Can it be done?
IMO, not a job for VLM. Carpet need to be flushed.
I look at it this way:

Urine & fecies contain moisture which sinks as far as the moisture and carpet fibers will allow.

The more moisture, the further down it will penetrate.

Maybe into the carpet backing, maybe also into the underlay (pad), possibly even as far as the flooring which may be timber or concrete.

I do not care how many people tell me that if I use such & such product with bonnets, I will remove the problem.

I prefer to satisfy myself by doing tests to see how far the problem goes.

This includes using a moisture sensor with probes to check how many and how big an area has been contaminated.

I may also use a high intensity ultra violet light to ensure that I have not missed anything.

I may also lift the carpet to check the backing, pad and flooring, (I think you guys call it sub-floor?).

If the pad is contaminated, I replace it.

If the flooring is contaminated I treat it.

I also treat the carpet backing as well as flooding the carpet and extracting with a water claw.

I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT BONNETING WILL REMOVE DEEP DOWN URINE.

Sure, you can flood it with different chemicals and keep bonneting (extracting), but I like that fresh water going in to flush the nasties out with an extraction machine.

If you don't flush with fresh water, you still have a multitude of mixed chemicals in the carpet.

If someone gets sick from these chemicals, who will be liable.??

That's my take on all urine problems, the same goes for vomit.

Short 1
I don't regret my past, I just regret the time I've wasted with the wrong people.
Take me as I am, or watch me as I go.
I'll retire when I can no longer do what I love, or no longer love what I do.
Stop moving, start dying........
I agree with the comments above. Good answers there! Bio-contaminants should be flushed. Using low moisture methods are not the way to go here (and I'm a major proponent of low moisture). Situations like this call for extraction IMHO.
Ok, great answers, however, I want to know how you would handle it if you did not have the ability to flush. IE no truck mount, no portable. This is a theoretical question. I own a butler, I have all the things you talk about. Im just curous how someone would proceed if they didnt have these tools and all they had to work with was an op machine. I agree, the best course of action here is extraction, but just for the fun of it I want to know.
I would never take on such a job that I could not do properly without the proper equipment.

I know that there are some out there that would, and do, such jobs.

That is their prerogative and if they want to do it, then that is their business.

I don't expect anyone to do what I say, just saying that this is the way that I do these jobs.

My theory has always been to do each and every job the right way, or don't do it at all.

I know, what what you wanted to hear, maybe someone else will chime in with their opinion on how they would do it with the equipment you mention.

Short 1
I don't regret my past, I just regret the time I've wasted with the wrong people.
Take me as I am, or watch me as I go.
I'll retire when I can no longer do what I love, or no longer love what I do.
Stop moving, start dying........
I'm with Shorty. The title of your post is "How would you handle this?". I would HWE. If I didn't have the capability to extract, I'd refer the job to someone else. If I was forced to do it with VLM equipment, I'd remove as much dry debris as possible, prespray with Punch, agitate, clean with HyDrox, and pad with MF or Superzorbs.
There you go blue ridge floor care, the real post title should have been if you were forced to use VLM, how would you do your best? It was not my intention to create a platform for the ethical side of the senario. I only bring up the question, because i like to hear what others would say. It helps me learn everyday. ive been cleaning for 15 years and always seem to learn something when I pose these type of questions.
If the contaminated area is limited (and as Shorty suggested, you can determine this by moisture sensors and black light) then you can treat small areas by injecting bio-enzymes. These products consume the odor causing bacteria, and are very effective, in my experience. Having said that, I bought a porty to take care of two issues that I felt must be attended to by HWE. Pet contamination is one of those issues.

I turned down a job two weeks ago where the pet contamination was so severe, my only recommendation to the homeowner was pull the carpet and pad, check the subfloor, and replace the carpet and pad.
Ed Elliott

Two ways I would have to tackle the situation where no TM could get to the situation.
1 Spot machine and a small water claw.
2 Wet/dry vac, water claw and something to add water (such as a pail or gallon jug).

VLM is not the method you should consider to do urine/feces/body fluid contamination.

As bad as either of the above would look to a customer, it is still better than not addressing the real underlying issue.