• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
encap Uph cleaning
Im going to try encaping uph, I'm getting the makita 9227cx3 polisher/sander? just wondering what pads i would use, were I can get them, and can I or should I get velcro on the driver to put fiber pads on. And what encap product to use. I've read also where people go back the next day to vacuum, can this step be avoided, otherwise i'll be avoiding encaping uph? Thank You.
I like a modified approach to encapping UPH. I prespray the really soiled parts of the piece--corners, piping, seat and head area, armrests-and leave the rest.

I agitate the sprayed areas with the buffer -7" Tuway type pad usually-but the stripped hand mitts Rick sells work darned well if you just want to use elbow grease.

Champagne Cimex pads (7") work well for buffing too.

Gotta be careful not to prespray too much if buffing-the buffer will sling excess moisture all over windows, coffee tables, etc.

Then extract with a small portable (I use Durrmaid 1600) with encap rinse.

This provides encap rinising and some measure of fabric protection to the whole piece, not just what was presprayed.

The piece is finish in one set, without excess product remaining in the UPH fabric.
Several ways to do uph.

1. Bucket, sponge and towels with Hydrox or DS.
2. Drill and brush (that Ricks sells), spray bottle and Hydrox or DS.
3. Polisher (grinder tool) bonnets or pads spray bottle, Hydrox or DS.

I have never in my life gone back to vac the next day.

Rick, you need to do a video on the many ways to clean both resi and comm uph. Showing the tools and steps needed to do it.
(04-01-2014, 11:33 AM)jtmellon Wrote: Rick, you need to do a video on the many ways to clean both resi and comm uph. Showing the tools and steps needed to do it.

That's an excellent suggestion. Thank you. I'll add it to my very long todo list Smile

By the way, Joe nailed it. There are a number of ways to do encapping on upholstery.

Here is one scenarios that works well for encapping commercial upholstery.
(1) Pre-spray with Encap-Clean DS2 or Encap-HydrOx.
(2) Pre-scrub using a drill and the Rota Drill Brush.
(Optional Step) You can use a portable extractor to do a quick rinse, if it's needed.
(3) Post-bonnet with a drill and Drill Driver with damp 8" bonnets.

I agree with the comments above, there's no need to go back and perform a post-vacuuming. I never have.

Link for the Rota Drill Brush:
http://www.excellent-supply.com/Rota-Dri..._p_15.html

Link for the Drill Driver:
http://www.excellent-supply.com/8-inch-D..._p_10.html

Link for the 8" bonnets:
http://www.excellent-supply.com/Tuway-Th..._p_82.html
Rick, your wife called. She told me you don't have as much to do as you say you do. Smile
She's probably right. LOL
Thanks for the replys, I'm really interested in Res Uph. If I get the makita can I just use any terrycloth that fits over it, if not what should i use, and can i get it from Rick. and is there a way i can get velcro on it so i can attach a fiber pad and also do stairs. Thanks.
I have the Micro-Orbot and Griots Garage random orbital polisher with a hook and loop plate. The Orbot is pretty heavy, the terry pads are hard to remove and shrink. (It would be great if there was a microfiber version available from Excellent that would not shrink and fit over the plate easier.) But I do like to use it on stairs and other areas that are hard to access with the bigger machines. For upholstery, I prefer to pre-spray (mostly with Hydrox), extract deep with the Gecko, then go over spots with the Griots or by hand and (if necessary) treat with appropriate spot remover and extract again. The Griots has a single, random orbiting head - there really is no other product that I have found like it.
Robert Balliot
President
Hoss Home Care, LLC
http://hosshomecare.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/robertballiot
I've been using the Makita variable Speed Polisher, same model as you, for several years.

I found the same as Drytouch when using the pads, they sling solution everywhere.

I use 8" bonnets, some with the blue stripe, some without, I actually have three different types.

I also use mattress covers as drop sheets.

Lay a three seat sofa on it's back, place two mattress covers underneath, and bunched up a bit against the rear.

Lower the sofa to the floor, lift the rear and pull the mattress covers out the back.

This will give you plenty of floor cover all around.

When cleaning, tilt the sofa forward and clean the back whilst on an angle.

Also do the sides at this time.

Lean the sofa at 45 degree to the back and place a small stool under the front.

This will allow you to clean the inside back, front kick panel & front arm uprights without bending too much.

Remove the stool and do the arm rests and bench seat cushions.

The use of skidders and a small jack ( one that works on a lever & fulcrum method works well ), will make this so much easier.

I now carry two x four foot collapsible/folding waterproof tables with legs that can be set at three different heights.

2 x 2 when folded.

As these are four foot long, I can easily place a chaise cushion on there and clean it.

I also use an OmniPro battery sprayer for applying solution.

Why two tables ??

When we do in excess of fifty chairs, etc; or like this week, at one job we have 2 x 3, + 4 x 1 leather chairs to do.

So both Del & I can have a table each & (with fabric) share the OmniPro between us.

With the leather, we will do a three seat sofa each & 2 armchairs, then have a table each to work on the loose cushions.

Hope this makes sense.

Short 1
I don't regret my past, I just regret the time I've wasted with the wrong people.
Take me as I am, or watch me as I go.
I'll retire when I can no longer do what I love, or no longer love what I do.
Stop moving, start dying........