• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
175 and residential carpet
I have been cleaning commercial carpet with my 175 for a couple of years. My truck mount recently died and I am wondering about the viability of using my 175 in residential. I would like to hear from people who have done it. Pads or Bonnets on cut pile nylon? I am just interested in experience with a rotary not Cimex, oscillating equipment or CRB.

Yes, I could research it but time is of the essence-- got a call last night.

Thanks to all in advance.
  Reply   Purge Spammer
It can be done.

I know it's not what you're asking for, but I would highly recommend a CRB or Orbital. I know of successful residential companies using CRB machines only, or orbital machines only. There are far fewer making a go of it with rotary only. But hey, ChemDry did it for years with rotary bonnet cleaning, so it can be done.
Thanks Rick for your quick reply. I know it to be good information. I was wanting to make the switch to commercial only but I still have some residential clients. I have taken a 40hr a week position to fill in the gaps and will pursue the commercial end. I like the bigger checks.
  Reply   Purge Spammer
I use 17" 175 with white floor pad. Make sure you have a soultion tank mounted on 175. Get the pad wet before cleaning. Never a problem with any carpet. I also have a portable for back up hwe which you will need at some time. If you come across urine you better have HWE. I scrub every carpet no matter how clean or dirty it is. Encap Punch is good for residential.
Charles, thanks for the reply. I have white pads and a mounted solution tank. I always pull the solution first with a new or dry pad. Good to be reminded. I don't have a portable for back up. I am okay walking away from urine/feces contamination at this point.
  Reply   Purge Spammer
I used a 175 for my first year in business. Does it clean carpet? Yes. Is it very efficient and productive? In my opinion, no. I dumped it as quick as I could, and have been considerably more profitable ever since. The quality of my finished product is significantly better as well. A CRB, orbital or Cimex are much better options for long term success, in my opinion.
Ed Elliott

I use a 175 Rotary 20 inch machine with no solution tank it's not necessary for residential carpet. To spray solution I use my 3 gallon heavy duty black and brass sprayer. My pads are the tuway white pads with four green strips and one low profile pad. Been cleaning this way for about 11 years now. In about year and I have not had a problem yet with urine stain.

[Image: u3ezeben.jpg]

Black2White Carpet Cleaning

[Image: aqatavyr.jpg]

[Image: ydavyry3.jpg]

Very nice!
Looks great B2W!
That is a seriously impressive clean swipe!
Like B2W, I use a 175. I prespray spots and TAs with my electric sprayer, then shower feed with a fiberplus on pass one and then use a pad on the second pass (no feed).

I'd like to have a nice OP, but the prices are prohibitive and shower feed is a must. I don't care for a 'sprayborg' type system. OPs are also, IMHO, much more maintenance intensive than rotaries.

I used both for years as a Chem Dry tech.

CRB prices are flatly insulting.

I'd much rather have a Dirt Dragon for hard floors as my next piece than any OP or CRB.

Excellent residential (and commercial) quality is absolutely obtainable with a rotary.
Same as Black2white and Drytouch. Been doing it for years.
It's all about agitation. When you wash your hands. You don't just apply soap. Then run under hot water. You must agitate. Then the final wipe with the towel does the most cleaning [FLEXED BICEPS]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk