• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for input to startup on a budget.
I graduated college a few years ago and am living with my dad, making $9.50 an hour at the only place that would hire me. I have no idea why. I have a friend that referred me to this board and said you can make pretty good money and it's possible to startup on the cheap with $1500. It will take some doing, but I can save $1500.

Being completely naïve to the industry and with nothing more than a willingness to work hard, I'm looking for some input on a to-do or must-have list from any veterans who would be willing. If you could give me brand names, sources to buy from and estimated pricing, too, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks a lot, everyone!
  Reply   Purge Spammer
I personally would start by posting more information about myself such as name and where I live.

This may give potential respondents the initiative to answer your questions & possibly help you along the way if they are close by.

Just my thoughts as I have helped many others out this way myself in the past.

Cool
^^^^^^^^^^^^ +1
The start up equipment will cost more than that. You will need insurance, a vehicle, an advertising budget plus on and on.
If your looking to do very low moisture cleaning you're at the right place. Rick and his staff will take care of you.

What A Difference - Carpet & Tile Cleaning - Lexington KY
www.whatadifferenceky.com
I posted a reply yesterday with more info, but it's not here now. Don't know what happened.

Rich Grindland referred me to this forum. My name is Rowdy and I live in Southwest Missouri, near Joplin, not far from the NW Arkansas metro area. I've got U of Arkansas, Tyson HQ, JB Hunt HQ and Walmart HQ all within an hour. Good base to build a business on.

I have some experience in running my own business and am ready to jump into something that I can make decent money doing. Have been told I can get started on a shoestring for as little as $1500 until I can grow the capital to reinvest in better equipment and grow the company.

I know nothing about carpet cleaning. Have read people talking about cold vs. hot cleaning, low moisture cleaning, etc., but no idea what any of it means.

Any input is appreciated.
  Reply   Purge Spammer
The start up equipment will cost more than that. You will need insurance, a vehicle, an advertising budget plus on and on.

If your looking to do very low moisture cleaning you're at the right place. Rick and his staff will take care of you.

What A Difference - Carpet & Tile Cleaning - Lexington KY
www.whatadifferenceky.com
i recommend a Cimex & some of the encap's sold here (EncapClean or Hydrox for instance.)

you'll need a vehicle to put the Cimex in. i hope your $1500 isn't including that??

the Cimex w/ encap will run you around $3k. do what i did, find a 12 month 0% APR credit card and put it on that. the best credit card i ever took out. that was a little over 10 years ago.
I like Derek's response! I might also suggest looking for a used 175 rpm rotary floor machine with some Fiber Plus pads and Releasit DS2 encapsulation cleaner. You want to concentrate on commercial work first. The good news is, you stumbled on the Excellent Supply forum. Rick and his team are the best in the business, have the best pricing, and are MORE than willing to talk to you and help you get started.
Howdy Rowdy.

Naturally, I can't comment on pricing over there, but a couple of questions:

Do you already have a vehicle to transport the equipment??

Is it a van ?? or something that you can easily load a fairly heavy, and (can be), large machine into without solution spilling??

Ramps make loading/unloading machines easy and safe.

You say you know nothing at all about carpet cleaning, so, on a budget, I would recommend you start with a Cimex & forget all the others.

Uh-oh, that'll upset a few. Tongue Tongue Tongue

A few reasons why:

If you go with hot water extraction, (or cold water), (HWE), with no experience, and without spending money on courses, you could be damaging carpets via over-wetting or other concerns, and get a bad reputation before you even get established.

Stain removal is also more difficult with these methods.

These can be temperamental machines and you need to know a bit about vacuum, psi, flow & recovery rates, etc; or know a good, cheap electrical mechanic.

Upkeep on them can also be more than a reliable Cimex.

Some won't like this, but that's okay, FORGET the 175rpm floor polisher, you know nothing about carpet cleaning, and with this machine you may well do serious damage not only to property but maybe also to yourself.

These machines are a beast to control UNLESS you know how.

Yes, I can use them very efficiently one-handed, but this come with time & experience, something I believe you do not have.

If you go with a Cimex, you will have a machine that is the easiest & safest of all carpet cleaning equipment to use, very economical and ultra safe to use.

Coupled with Releasit products, you WILL be able to do PROFESSIONAL jobs with none, or very little training.

Wisest words I ever had spoken to me were by Rick Gelinas when I first met him, I'd had over three decades in the cleaning business.

"Forget all you know about carpet cleaning, listen & do as I say".

That was about ten years ago, & I'm still doing what Rick said, and my original Cimex, (bought not long after), just had it's very first major problem last week, all fixed now though.

Any questions you may have, don't worry if you think they're silly or stupid, we've all asked them, and I still do, just come here and ask.

Lounge Lizard Shorty.[/i]
I don't regret my past, I just regret the times I've wasted with the wrong people.
Take me as I am, or watch me as I go.
I'll retire when I can no longer do what I love, or I no longer love what I can do.
Stop moving, start dying........
While I absolutely agree that the Cimex is the King of commercial, this startup is undercapitalized from the beginning. I'm not saying it can't be done for $1500, but it ain't gonna be easy. Plus, he doesn't even have the $1500 yet! As far as running the 175 goes, my local Janitorial Supplier had me swinging a 20" like a pro in about an hour. It's a feel thing. They can be had for about $200 on the used market.
great point BRFC, a 175 is a good alternative for the $.

where'd Rowdy go?
Hi Rowdy, you have been given great advice. Give me a call and we can discuss your options and financing with no obligations.
Tanoah@Excellent Supply 727-821-2020 x204
(06-20-2014, 12:28 PM)Derek Wrote: great point BRFC, a 175 is a good alternative for the $.

where'd Rowdy go?

In the word of the great Hank Williams Jr., maybe Rowdy "done Rowdy'd on down"...
Very nice Blue Ridge....Very Nice!
[quote='Derek'

where'd Rowdy go?
[/quote]

Mikey's.

Huh
I don't regret my past, I just regret the times I've wasted with the wrong people.
Take me as I am, or watch me as I go.
I'll retire when I can no longer do what I love, or I no longer love what I can do.
Stop moving, start dying........