• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CGD cleaning question for everyone
Cleaned an office with the standard run of the mill mostly blue CGD Wednesday evening. Got an email from my contact yesterday saying it looks cleaner, but there are some darker areas here and there, and that it looked steaky. Went by today and I explained that 1)shading is normal because cleaning will often reveal the areas most traveled due to the fibers refracting differently and 2)similarly the "streaks" are just areas where the carpet fibers though short are laying differently. There are a couple areas where spots didn't completely come up so I am going back over those spots in a few days.

I used my cimex with the beige pads and bio-encap at 6 per gal instead of 4 due to some extra soiled areas.

How often do you guys encounter shading and "streaking?" Wear is normal but since the carpet is only 18 mos old I want to make sure that the level of wear is normal for that type of carpet.
Streaking - or pile reversal/movement is normal and will walk off in a few days. It is similar to marks that get left in the carpet after using a strong upright vacuum.

Regarding soil, that's a different story. If you take your time and clean carefully with the Cimex, you normally can get a heavily soiled carpet to clean up extremely well! There's always room for a problem to develop on an occasion, but it's the exception. Wet-pass followed by a slow dry-pass (or multiple dry-passes where it's heavily soiled) gets the job done. On the dry-pass you can feather out just a touch more detergent as you're scrubbing. This approach hits the ball out of the park just about 100% of the time.

Though light blue is probably the hardest color to work with. It's on the opposite side of the color wheel - across from brown and gray. Therefore soil (which is normally gray or brown) will be most visible on a light blue carpet.

[Image: colorwheel.gif]

My advice would be to explain to the customer that the marks from the Cimex will walk off after a few days. It's NOT a big deal. In fact I've had customers tell me that they LIKE the marks we leave in the carpet.

Regarding the soiling, go back and spend some time smoothly cleaning the affected areas. Smooth is the operative word here. Take your time, feather the solution, make sufficient passes to get it to "pop", let the Cimex bring it back to a good looking state. You should be able to see the results you're looking for right away - with a little finesse on your part. And it wouldn't hurt to speed dry the carpet too. I'm confident that you can pull it off (after all, that's what this cleaning system achieves).

Hope that gives you some ideas to work with.
Thanks! You firmed up what I had in my head. I always do wet moving forward/dry moving backward with and extra couple of passes for extra soil. Obviously releasit doesn't streak so I was 90 percent sure everything was all good.

When I return I may go hydrox on the darker areas to be sure.

Thanks Rick.
I see that you've put it in your last sentence................

"When I return I may go hydrox on the darker areas to be sure."

When doing offices, etc; I would always add Hydrox to the tank for those (coffee) spills, it saves a lot of call-backs.

I also ensure that I overlap my runs slightly to avoid any missed areas that may cause "streaking" or darker patches.

I have seen jobs where others have tried to save time and money by lining their machine up with the edge of the last run cleaned, then have a dirty line running down the carpet when it's dried.

Not saying this is what you have done, because I think as both you & Rick have alluded to, it's the way the pile lays as the Cimex rotates in a different direction on each run, no great problem.

One thing I do on plush pile, (not CGD), is after I have cleaned the carpet in the normal long wet run, I do my dry pass in a zig-zag pattern across the carpet, somewhat similar to how one would use a rotary.

This is only in relatively small offices such as travel agents that I do on a monthly basis. Management, staff & customers love the "sculptured" look and it's enabled me to schedule a regular clean more often because it looks so nice. Wink

[Image: 046_zpsf53d900f.jpg]

Hope this makes some sense & helps confirm your theory.

Cool

PS::: On really bad carpets, consider using Punch & the FiberPlus Max pads.

This will clean the carpet just that much better than the normal FiberPlus pads.
I don't regret my past, I just regret the times I've wasted with the wrong people.
Take me as I am, or watch me as I go.
I'll retire when I can no longer do what I love, or I no longer love what I can do.
Stop moving, start dying........