• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cimex RPM
Guys,
I'm trying to find out the rpm of my 15" Cimex. When I bought it I assumed (yeah I know) that it would be 400.
I know the CR38 is 620rpm & the CRS38 is 400rpm but on the motor cowl mine says only R38.

Cheers
Col F
It's my understanding that the cimex units that have a model # R38 or R48 are older units, they have the same rpm as the newer units. I do not know when the year model numbers changed. I know this because I have owned 2 older R48 models and they were manufactured in the 1980's.

I hope this helps!
Col has the smaller Cimex, the "38"

Where's Rick when you need him? ;-)
The 38's are 15" machines. And the 48's are 19" machines. In doesn't matter about the other letters that may have been added to the model - the designation 38 and 48 remains the same. In fact that number relates to centimeters. All 38's / 15" models are rated at 620 rpms, and most of the 48's / 19" models are rated at 400 rpms. The exception is on the 48DF's (Diamond Finishers) which spin at 800 rpm's.

Now when you're looking at rpm's what's being measured is the brush speed, not the revolution of the drive-deck (or bowl). The drive-deck rotates at about 1/3 the speed of the brushes. So the brushes should be spinning at roughly 400 rpm's on the 48's and 620 rpm's on the 38's.

Hope I explained it clearly enough.
Thanks,
The brochure I have states that there are 2 X 15" models, one 620 rpm (CR38) & one 400rpm (CRS38). As mine is an R38, I'm still unsure what the rpm's are.
I can't help you there. I have only ever heard of 620 rpm 38 / 15" machines. Perhaps that brochure has a typo. Or maybe there's a different model that made its way Down Under.

Tell ya what... Slip on a pair of your nicest dress shoes and then stick your foot under the machine. If it gives the shoe a nice polishing - it's probably 400 rpm. But if it cracks a couple of toes, it's most likely 620 rpm. Wink
OK, now sorted after an email to Truvox.
It seems R38 is the old designation for CR38, so it is indeed 620 rpm.
Shorty, Thanks for your help with the big wheel mod'. Along with my own mod's I think I have a great machine.
Reponse to Cairnswun,

I think my response to the original poster was right on the money. I do understand the difference in the size of an R38 & R48 and/or CR38 & CR48. I can also grasp the difference of the rpm of both machines.

My reference to my 2 older R48 machines was to indicate to the poster that he had an older version of the current CR38. Therefore, he could infer that he had a 1980ish 15" cimex with 620 rpm. I assumed that he could follow my thought process!
Sorry Randy, I'm a dumb Aussie, I misunderstood you. ;-)

I didn't recognise the link between the R in 38 & 48.

Not to worry, all's well that ends well.

Shortstuff.
There is a CRS 38, 400rpm machine you can find the spec here I think page 7.

www.truvox.com/downloadnow/pdf/42/manual