• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uph Encap Question?
I encapped a filthy microfiber couch & love seat today, it looked very good when I finished, but when I ran my terry cloth towel over it at the end the terry was getting very dirty. is that normal?
Simple answer ------------------ YES !!

Moral of the story, ALWAYS run a clean white towel over the worst areas to check for soiling after encapping.

If soiling is visible, I may do several things depending on the soiling and amount of it.

Some may only need a toweling down.

Others may need that added extraction with a spotting machine.

Some others may need more drastic measures using a product that breaks down oils, yet is still encap compatible.

Remember the golden rule for encapping carpets, if the soil load is too heavy, extract it prior to encapping.

I generally treat my upholstery jobs the same, if soiling is gross, extract first, you need not extract the entire suite, generally only where spills have occurred or sweat, etc; has accumulated.

That's my view anyhow.

Cool
I don't regret my past, I just regret the times I've wasted with the wrong people.
Take me as I am, or watch me as I go.
I'll retire when I can no longer do what I love, or I no longer love what I can do.
Stop moving, start dying........
If you extract after with a spotting machine (which I now wish I did) do you use just water or would you use the same encap solution in the rinse that you encapped with. Im still not sure if flushing out the encap right after cleaning messes up the whole process?
Just rinse with water & extract.

Many cleaners, I have read, do this also on carpets.

Any residue that is left will still crystallize when dry and be easily vacuumed away as per usual.

Yesterday I had around sixty office chairs that had heavy sweat marks in the arms and also around the top of the chair.

I treated the oily parts with an encap product, agitated with my Makita, pre-sprayed with encap cleaner, agitated with Makita, then toweled the bad areas.

They all dried perfect, office managers were extremely happy as they thought they would have to replace.

Have since booked in their homes for carpet & upholstery as well as several employees.

Encap is an entirely different process, I was told to forget everything I knew about HWE when I first started encapping.

I've not looked back, although I still extract as & when needed.

Cool

Cool
I don't regret my past, I just regret the times I've wasted with the wrong people.
I'll retire when I can no longer do what I love, or I no longer love what I can do.
Shorty nailed it!

I couldn't have explained it better. Thanks for always giving such helpful advice Shorty. It's great to have such a solid group of professionals here that share such a high level of knowledge.

A small upholstery/spotter extractor is a valuable tool to have. Handy for upholstery! Also a necessity for flushing certain spots and contaminants from the carpet.

Small extractors like our Gecko is what we've used for years and years, and it's what we recommend: Gecko Extractor

[Image: gecko-2.jpg]
I use encap-bio or hydrox for upholstery and always extract. If I can see the spots/soiling I spray that area with encap spot along with the solution. Scrub with horsehair brush, dwell for 5-10 min, then extract. White towel check usually comes back clean but if not then more encap spot.

Oh, and the rinse is warm to hot water depending on fabric.
Most of the time microfiber upholstery will be filthy & greasy.
I scrub the head and arm areas with a soft brush.
Then always extract with hot water. Actually no matter what I always
extract upholstery.
Now I'm going to throw a spanner (wrench), in the works.

I also have a spotter similar to Ricks' good one above, 'cept; mine is now about 15 years old. Blush

Yes, the vac; motor has recently been replaced, the solution pump never.

BUT, a month or two back, I saw this neat little spotter which I bought & it's been doing splendid service ever since.

Bear in mind it IS NOT a large capacity bit of equipment, but it suits me for what I bought it for.

It only holds about 2 quarts of water & a pint (if that) of waste.

I do warranty work for a large "Protection" manufacturer.

Most calls are simply for a few little spots, and this is ideal.

It has a VERY short vac; hose which adds to the vac; suction, but limits the work that can be done, it also means that most times I hold the machine in one hand and rinse/extract with the tool in the other hand.

Very easy once you try it.

[Image: bissell-carpet-washer-3698f-medium_zps0bb54f39.jpg]

As you can see, it is very small, what you can't see is the power lead on it's own hooks at the rear, plus the two scrub/sol;/vac; head with easy change, also on their own hooks, and the vac; hose that winds around the base of the spotter, this you can see at the front.

It also has a minor heating element for the solution tank, but I usually fill with hot water if needed.

You will see a small lump in the red section under the handle, this is the on/off switch.

YES, it does look like a toy, but for small spotting jobs, I love it.

It won't be for everyone, but for some jobs it may be ideal.

Cool

PS:: Here's the view from the back:

[Image: 20140712_112713_zps3a24a36f.jpg]

[Image: 20140712_112816_zps36eb16cd.jpg]