• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pads bundling under machine
Well just like the title says. I bought a Vario a few weeks ago and I'm having some issues with both microbeast and microglide pads bundling up under the machine and I have to stop every couple of minutes to fix it.

It doesn't seem to be an issue with the superzorbs.

Any hints as to what I'm doing wrong or what I should be doing different?
If the pads are bunching up with certain bonnets, you may want to try the velcro style pad driver as an option. The bristle driver is great for the FiberPlus pads and some thin bonnet/pads like the SuperZorbs, whereas the velcro driver is good for a wide variety of pads and bonnets. The only drawback to the velcro driver is that it can sometimes tear at the bonnet's fabric a little bit when you're pulling off the bonnet. Give us a call if you're interested in ordering a velcro style driver.
With my Vario it has happened a couple of times but it was more of a case of the microbeast being too wet or dry,(which happened alot with a velcro head Challenger/cotton pads as they age and wetness.) Once it was the actual levelness of the floor. another thing I noticed is keeping an eye on pressure of the head.....With the spring arm set up,depending how you "handle' the unit-lifting up on or pushing down on the handle too much either way changes the balance/pressure on the head which in turn can allow for the bunching as well.
(07-15-2014, 10:49 AM)patrickm Wrote: With my Vario it has happened a couple of times but it was more of a case of the microbeast being too wet or dry,(which happened alot with a velcro head Challenger/cotton pads as they age and wetness.) Once it was the actual levelness of the floor. another thing I noticed is keeping an eye on pressure of the head.....With the spring arm set up,depending how you "handle' the unit-lifting up on or pushing down on the handle too much either way changes the balance/pressure on the head which in turn can allow for the bunching as well.
How wet is ideal? I've been dumping them in a bucket and then wringing them out basically just enough to keep them from dripping.

It happened yesterday on just a regular cut pile over pad residential carpet but it also happened on a glue down restaurant carpet last week.

I'm starting to think I should have just gone with a new rotary instead of OP but hopefully it's just a learning curve that I'll get over.
(07-15-2014, 07:11 AM)encapman Wrote: If the pads are bunching up with certain bonnets, you may want to try the velcro style pad driver as an option. The bristle driver is great for the FiberPlus pads and some thin bonnet/pads like the SuperZorbs, whereas the velcro driver is good for a wide variety of pads and bonnets. The only drawback to the velcro driver is that it can sometimes tear at the bonnet's fabric a little bit when you're pulling off the bonnet. Give us a call if you're interested in ordering a velcro style driver.
How much is the velcro driver?

I was really not planning to use it with fiber pads too much, I've got the Cimex for that. My thoughts were that I would be using mostly microfiber but maybe I'll be using mostly superzorbs instead?
My experience with the micropads is limited.It does sound as though you are wringing them out enough...it does take alot of friction to dry these up compared to cotton pads. I did turn over the pad when it bundled. If you have never played with a rotary prior....a whole different beast than the Vario...I say its harder to learn.
We sell the velcro style driver for $119. It might be worth considering if you're having a frustrating time with the standard driver.

Here's what it looks like...

[Image: vario-drivers.jpg]
(07-15-2014, 03:30 PM)patrickm Wrote: My experience with the micropads is limited.It does sound as though you are wringing them out enough...it does take alot of friction to dry these up compared to cotton pads. I did turn over the pad when it bundled. If you have never played with a rotary prior....a whole different beast than the Vario...I say its harder to learn.

I've been using a rotary so no problem there, mines just really old and showing it's age. I still use my rotary for scrubbing before hwe.
Buy the Velcro. It should fix your problem. I put those on my Orbot and love it. Wont bundle unless the pad is really worn and getting thin. Don't give up on OP. Its like learning a new dance!
I am having the same problem. Enjoying the vario but the bunching makes it tiring to use.
We've added the velcro style driver for the Vario to the shopping cart so it can now be ordered directly online.

http://www.excellent-supply.com/VARIO-Ve...p_627.html
My observation is that bundling will occur due to a variety of factors noted above (age/stiffness of pad, lubrication, condition of carpet padding, speed of cleaning, driver). In my mind the stiffness/condition of the pad is the biggest factor in bundling under the machine.

The biggest thing I have seen impacting the condition of the pad itself, specifically the destruction of the inner material that gives the pad stiffness, is the use of a top loading washing machine. When I was using a front loading machine last year, the pads retained their stiffness quite a bit longer, and extended their useful life. The top load machine I am using this summer seems to destroy the stiffness of the pad much quicker, and that contributes to increased bundling on resi carpet. I started tossing them when they get too floppy, and I have less problem with bundling.
Ed Elliott