• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Wool rug vacuuming
Thinking of using my pile lifter on two wool rugs before encapping with Encap-Hydrox laced with Odorcide for urines odor.

K O' G
Cleaner Carpet. Cleaner Planet.

If you value life
Do not squander time.
Time is the stuff life is made of.
It's a very good idea. In addition to vacuuming the dry soil, hair, dust, lint, and loose fiber - using a plie lifter causes the pile to stand up. Lifting the pile helps to open the pile, so that more efficient cleaning can be accomplished. Whereas crushed and matted pile will not permit the cleaning process to address the fiber as well. Whenever a pile lifter can be used, better cleaning can be achieved. I'm a fan of pile lifting Smile
I would do it slightly different.

1: Pile lifter

2: Vacuum with an upright vac;

3: Cimex

4: Vac; again when dry and groom

Bear in mind, if the Odorcide does not come into contact with all the urine salts, you may still have that ammonia off-gassing when the humidity is high, raining, etc;

Just my penny ha'pennies worth. ;-)
I appreciate the thoughts. I used the process mentioned except #4 on cairswun post. Took rugs outside in garage Odorcide aroma was strong at 8oz./gal. I did a semi- maintenance on her yellow Dyson vacuum, gave her some tips about her rugs and told her with no 100% guarantee removal, I could address the 2sq.ft. discoloration stain (pink) for her. One thing for sure she had a totally different mindset at the end of the cleaning. Her husband got previous quotes for the 144 sq.ft. rugs and ended up calling me for the low moisture process for a fraction of the cost. SO FAR SO GOOD!

K O' G

If you value life
Do not squander time.
I am always leery of people VLMing rugs. Most do not dust the rug propery leaving a ton of dirt in the rug, we just took out several cups of dirt in a rug from a VLM person again. Client thought rug looked good ( it did) I asked if I could show them what may have been over looked, turned the rug over six swipes with my beater bar vac and Viola they seen why this person was cheap.

If you do rugs please dust them
Good points David. I actually have a video I made about 4 years ago where we cleaned a rug just a couple of weeks after another cleaner. Here's the video http://youtu.be/Yzc9cj1lXpQ The video is of the rug badger going over the rug for about 30-45 seconds and mounds of dirt come out of it in that short amount of time.

Our process includes pile lifting before cleaning and after cleaning. We have the ability to pit wash rugs but we don't always do that. However, each rug does get rug badgered. We even have some customers who just want a rug badgered.
That is the way we do it Kevin, unless the rug is real delicate. The rugs come out looking great
Tongue 
(09-19-2012, 08:52 PM)David-Hebert Wrote: That is the way we do it Kevin, unless the rug is real delicate. The rugs come out looking great
Appreciate those post gents. My client was mostly concerned about the pet odor. Haven't heard back from her yet. Yippieeee!

If you value life
Do not squander time.
(09-24-2012, 02:11 AM)Kleen O green Wrote: Appreciate those post gents. My client was mostly concerned about the pet odor. Haven't heard back from her yet. Yippieeee!
If you have concerns about pet odor in a rug, then you aren't getting that out without washing the rug.
Listen to what Kevin says. He's got a lot of experience doing rug washing. He's a humble Texan and doesn't blow his own horn, so I'll do it for him. Kevin's knows his stuff about rugs.

Dusting a rug first and then washing it are the keys to doing good rug cleaning. But I understand that you were specifically treating a small problem, and the approach you took was probably ok in this case.