• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cimex Belt question
i replaced mine about 6 months ago. within a few months i went to lift the wheels off the ground to work on a tough spot and the heads stopped spinning. it has gotten progressively worse. i am about to order another belt and hope that it "fixes" this issue, my question is:

if i put another new belt on and it does the same thing, what else could be the problem?

PS: i DO lift the head slightly before every start....(but i do NOT lift before i turn off, does that matter?)

thanks in advance! Big Grin
Hi Derek,

Do the bearings sound healthy? is there any creaking, rattling, grinding noise as it's running? Six months seems to be a little premature for a new belt.
hi Rick,

i will listen tonite...nothing strange that i can think of. but my Cimex's have always made small noises like that it seems lol ... sounds like $$$ tho Big Grin

i'll let you know what i hear tonite, tx for the speedy reply.
6 months does seem a little soon for the belt to stretch/slip. If the motor is spinning but the bowl is not, then it is likely a slipping belt. If nothing spins (may need to take off the motor hood to see) and the motor is just "humming" then it could be a power cord or motor issue.
Rod Clarkin
Excellent Supply 727-821-2020 
good info as well Rodney.

my machine is really pretty quiet! i will take the hood off at tomorrow nights job and see if she is spinning. if she is, then i'll order that belt tomorrow night.

thanx fellas! --- Derek.
I still have not replaced the belt on my first machine as yet, although the adjusting rod at the back has broken.

I have had a spare belt for several years, just in case.

My new-er machine, I have noticed a couple of times, that the belt is not spinning the head.

What is the recommended procedure for replacing, or tightening a belt please.

I have also noticed with the new-er Mex; the head appears to lean forward towards the floor, rather than stay more horizontal like my original, when it is lifted off the carpet.

Or has this been yet another figment of my imagination.??

Maybe the original did stay tilted forward, and I never thought too much about it, but I don't think so. Angry Blush

Ta,

Cool
I don't regret my past, I just regret the times I've wasted with the wrong people.
Take me as I am, or watch me as I go.
I'll retire when I can no longer do what I love, or I no longer love what I can do.
Stop moving, start dying........
There is no procedure for belt tightening.

To install a belt simply wrap the belt around the center pulley and 2 outer pulleys and then start the belt onto the third pulley while slowly turning the pulley and it will work its way on with a bit of effort.

If you need more information or pictures call the office an I can email you a file showing that procedure.
Rod Clarkin
Excellent Supply 727-821-2020 
it IS super simple. the 1st time i did it, took about 15 minutes.
I have had a cimex for years and just got a new one. I feel my new one that the head stops often with a little pressure or certain carpet and never had that problem with my old one. Just seems that there is not enough power to keep it spinning or the motor is weak? The pads are wet so not sure why it does that
Ryan Van Donge
Best Choice Carpet Cleaning
Similar to mine Ryan, both old & new.

Maybe it's something to do with the newer machines. ??

The Lizard.
I don't regret my past, I just regret the times I've wasted with the wrong people.
Take me as I am, or watch me as I go.
I'll retire when I can no longer do what I love, or I no longer love what I can do.
Stop moving, start dying........
Just a thought. ..maybe the belt pulleys and center shaft belt nub are too new and shiney. My old 24" cimex's have a very slight coating of rust and pitting on these parts that gives the belt some grip/bite. Never slips .
You might try this. The reviews are pretty good. It might help to inhibit belt slipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Motor-Medic-Gunk-M206-Conditioner/dp/B000ABCHMS/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1411324115&sr=1-1&keywords=belt+dressing#productDetails
same for me as the other guys. maybe i will give this Spray a try?

what about somehow lightly roughening up the metal that the belt wraps around?
I think scuffing up the pulleys could lead to premature belt wear.

I'm not sure if the spray will make a difference or not.
But it's inexpensive - so it's it's at least worth a try.
buying some from my local hardware store today. tx for the idea Rick. from reviews, it looks like something that has to be periodically reapplied.

if this doesn't work, i will look into lightly roughening up the pulleys, unless someone has another idea.?. this seems like a problem at least a few of us are having. the older model Cimex, at least mine and a few others, never had this issue.