• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carpet cleaning van totalled
Sometimes things come in three's, or so I've been told.

Just spent AU$600.00 on new tyres and AU$1600.00 on the steering on the van this week.

Plus About AU$800.00 for another 12 months rego; also this last week.

Now it's totaled.

Sitting out on the back patio this morning when I heard this almighty BANG !!!, no sound of brakes at all.

A young learner driver lost control, mounted the kerb & pushed my Hi Ace 4 metres up the grass verge.

It was in PARK (automatic), & with the handbrake on.

Poor girl suffered a lacerated tongue, bitten half-way through, also arm/shoulder pain and was in shock.

Passenger hit his head on windscreen hard enough to break the screen.

I checked her out & made sure there was no fire problem with their car prior to getting her out of the car & making her stable.

Lucky that both air bags deployed and saved them from further injury.

Couldn't open the rear to door to get my beloved Cimex & Sprayborg out, so had to demolish the interior shelving before it was towed.

Only thing I can be grateful for, is the way that I have all my equipment stored.

Not one item has been damaged, nor one spot of solution spilled.

I say this even though I still have to check and make sure that both the Cimex & Sprayborg run okay.

So my message is to anyone thinking of fitting out a new vehicle is to do it properly, with safety in mind.

I have solid, front to rear plywood flooring.

I also have nearly front to rear shelving along the drivers side.

I also have two full width barriers across the vehicle, on in front of, and one aft of the rear wheels.

I also have my steel cargo barrier between the drivers cabin and rear compartment.

Fixed to this is another sheet of ply, floor to ceiling, with a vinyl sheet fixed to it.

ALL of my chemicals are fixed to this front wall, some were slightly dislodged, none fell over, and most importantly, none leaked.

The rear door has been jammed, so I have had to demolish my shelving, etc; to remove my beloved Cimex, Sprayborg, ramps, etc; from the rear section out via the side sliding door.

[Image: HiAceTotalled002_zps5480e579.jpg]

[Image: HiAceTotalled003_zpsb4ee9e7d.jpg]

[Image: HiAceTotalled007_zps7e5d4479.jpg]

[Image: HiAceTotalled010_zps1b0589f8.jpg]

[Image: HiAceTotalled022_zps97320d1d.jpg]

[Image: HiAceTotalled036_zps6659c784.jpg]

You guys take care out there.
I don't regret my past, I just regret the times I've wasted with the wrong people.
Take me as I am, or watch me as I go.
I'll retire when I can no longer do what I love, or I no longer love what I can do.
Stop moving, start dying........
Will their insurance pay for damages? Also, it could have been worse, you might have been driving it and had been in it at the time.
If you guys down there spell tyres with a y, why don't you spell this with a y? Thys makes no sense to me.
I Know (no), who (hoo) spells like that. It is not right (rite). It gnaws (naws) at me. Nothing in our (ower) english language makes sense. Someone should wright (rite) a book (buk) or look (luk) into this. It makes one laugh (laff).
Glad to hear you were not hurt in any way Shorty! Everything else is can be fixed or replaced!
That really stinks Shorty!!! I know it'll all get sorted out. But the downtime is more than annoying - and it can cost you money. I hope everything goes smoothly and your back in business with a good truck ASAP!
Sorry to hear this Shorty. Hope everything works out ok!
After having my work van written off three weeks ago tomorrow, I've finally found a replacement.

Flying down to Brisbane on Monday to pick it up, then I have a thousand mile plus, goat track /road trip to bring it home & start to fit it out.

So far, I'm $9,000.00 down the drain thanks to insurance & guv-urn-mint rip-offs.

Not to mention loss of business.

Always read the fine print with insurance re THEIR MARKET value appraisals.

As I had just paid registration, I was three days into my twelve month registration when my car was hit & written off, those three days coste me around $300.00 due to stamp duty & GST tax which is non refundable.

Take care all.
I don't regret my past, I just regret the times I've wasted with the wrong people.
I'll retire when I can no longer do what I love, or I no longer love what I can do.
Shorty that is terrible! I can't believe you got worked over like that. And ESPECIALLY since it was a Driving School. I would've thought they would have had massive insurance coverage, considering their potential risk.

I thought it was only in America that you pay and pay and pay the insurance company, and still come out a loser whenever you make a claim. Is there any way to you can make a suit to reclaim your out of pocket losses?

Well I hope there will be a silver lining for you Shorty - that you'll really like your new van! Let us know how you make out.

Have a safe trip!
Wow! That sucks Shorty.
It is hard being unable to work for that long because somebody else screwed up.
Sounds like you need a good lawyer.
Send a pic of the new van when you can!
Hard to believe that van was considered totalled. Did you get an estimate for rebuild/repairs? I had some goon smash into my truck this past summer with, what was believed to be a motorcycle -(hit and run. hope he bruised himself and ruined his stupid bike)..My hometown has a motorcycle rally event every summer, thousands of bikes everywhere. Insurance company were total jerks. First, they had me simply take a few photos of the damage with phone and send them into them. Within minutes, the adjuster called me and said they are preparing the check for the damages based on the photos. Lousy $700.00. Pound out dent; body filler, paint and sticker. No way! I went to our Ford dealer and got a REAL estimate..close to $4G. New bed. AllState moaned a little and said it would need to be a salvaged bed. I said NO and got the new parts. Then last week, my daughter hit a deer with my car. Insurance tried the same crap, said they will use salvaged parts. I demanded new OEM and got them. Car goes into shop Monday. Don't let insurance companies bully you or EVER tell you that you need to use the insurance company approved repair shops. They get paid by insurance companies to keep the repair costs down..
[Image: 20140713_213345_zps9f612377.jpg]
Thanks for the replies all, but there are other things also to consider, including our location & SAFETY.

The vehicle would be off the road until several weeks into the new year with Christmas close-downs, etc;

I've been advised that the tow truck operators own the driving school.

For various reasons, if one reads between the lines, for my & my families future safety including home & equipment, I have been advised not to pursue any further legal action.

It sucks, but that's it.

I'll just get on with it & make the best of it all because tomorrow is a new day with fresh opportunities.

Take care all.

Shorty.
Can I get one of those toyota highace vans in America
Don't think they're exported to the USA.

Here's the new beast, now the fun begins getting it set-up as a predominantly hwe van, (prior to selling that side of the bizWink

[Image: Tojo1_zps0a28709f.jpg]

[Image: Tojo2_zps77e0e623.jpg]

[Image: Tojo3_zpse1bad15a.jpg]

[Image: Tojo4_zps01adedd2.jpg]

All panels to be removed & rust proofed, floor liner up, timber floor down + carpet, timber wall paneling, then the racks go in.

Everything will have a place so as to be as easily got to as is required, in order of use.

Where the safety cage is will have timber on either side and close to the door will be the first aid kit & MSD booklet.

Then the signs go on.

All in time as Christmas looms upon me, work gets busier and time gets shorter.

Cool
A good looker! Too bad they don't have those over here.