• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Do You Love About This Business?
Just wondering...

What do you love about being in the carpet cleaning business?

What attracted you to this business?

Are you planning to do this till retirement?
What do you love about being in the carpet cleaning business?

I love meeting the different people everyday & interacting with them, the stories some of them tell, especially the older folk.

I love the challenge of something difficult, especially when other carpet cleaners have written the job off as non-restorable or impossible.

I love the opportunity (for me), that suits my lifestyle.

Not being super smart, I love not having to work hard for the good money it offers.

I enjoy being able to help others with problems, when & if I can.

Delia loves the money Tongue

What attracted you to this business?

Nothing, I got into it by accident after moving to West Australia, I was asked to take over the care-taking of a modest apartment block.

The cleaning of these apartments followed, which then saw me start my own cleaning business, which very soon developed into carpet cleaning (1971), using an ancient shampoo polisher which then progressed into porties, t/m's and lastly VLM.

I found that I enjoyed doing this more than anything else I had tried before & I was not tied to an office desk.

There's an age old ad which states "When you're' on a good thing, stick to it".

Are you planning to do this till retirement?

Yes, and beyond.

I doubt that I can ever fully retire from this industry, it has become a passion, a way of life for me.

Although I will slow down, I do intend to get more into carpet dyeing and stain removal processes.

I have been asked to consider teaching which I have point blank refused, I'm a worker, not a teacher.

However, if my memory deteriorates, then plans may change.

Stop moving, start dying.........................

Cool
I don't regret my past, I just regret the times I've wasted with the wrong people.
Take me as I am, or watch me as I go.
I'll retire when I can no longer do what I love, or I no longer love what I can do.
Stop moving, start dying........
Loved your comments Shorty!

Anyone else?
I love Making my own schedual, Being my own boss, Not being a slave to a corporation, Going from job to job (never to long in one place) and all the great places I can stop at during and after my jobs. Feel sorry for contractors on big jobs when things get bad with there customers, I like knowing how much better the carpet looks when im done, Since VLM, I love just having my pick up and not being chained to a truckmount - hoses, heat, desil, preasure, gas milage, freezing, winter heating bills, sleepless nights when power might go out, hoses busting, 120 gl of water always trying to find a way out, repairs, ect,ect. Now i say carpet will be dry in 1 to 2 hours, it will be cleaner and stay cleaner longer. I'm still amazed how fantastic the carpets look after encaping and on residential with the CRB, fibers standing straight up. and oh yes I like making more $ on 2 jobs in one day than most people make all week!!! Thanks for all the help, support and great products!!!
Yes Mark I have to agree with your post. I feel the same way.. I had the truck mount and the porty's . You described my answer. LOL
Having been a vct maintenance/stripping guy most of my life, I really like how much easier encapping is on the body compared to vct work. As I quickly approach the big Five-O, I feel the aches and pains that were never there before after stripping and waxing a 20,000 square foot grocery store in one night. PLUS... Much less equipment to transport and haul into the job site. It's ridiculous how much stuff one needs to drag into a store for a strip job AND I usually need 4 guys. Cleaning commercial carpets was something our business turned down for years when asked if we do carpets.
What I like is the fact that I can do most jobs by myself with very little to drag into the jobsite.
And I really like how people treat you so differently as a carpet cleaner compared to a vct maintenance tech. Did not matter that we have nice work shirts with our logo, nice work trucks, lettered trailers, super expensive propane buffers, strippers and huge auto scrubbers, to the majority of the population, we are mop jockeys or regular janitors (not that there is anything wrong with that) without "Real" jobs.
Not so when you push in a vacuum cleaner and a Cimex. Once they see the carpet magically getting cleaned, you then become a person to the employees, etc. of the accounts we clean.
Freedom is the thing I love most about encap cleaning.  Freedom to set your schedule, decide which customer you would like to work with and the freedom to set your own schedule.  I enjoy not needing all the tools that are necessary for HWE and all the problems of going into debt to get them.  Rick and Excellent Supply have allowed me to build a small business and enjoy doing it!  I hope to continue to clean carpets until my body says its time to stop!  Thanks again Rick!
"I love Making my own schedual, Being my own boss, Not being a slave to a corporation, Going from job to job (never to long in one place) and all the great places I can stop at during and after my jobs. Feel sorry for contractors on big jobs when things get bad with there customers, I like knowing how much better the carpet looks when im done"

BINGO.
(12-02-2014, 01:12 AM)mark63 Wrote: I love Making my own schedual, Being my own boss, Not being a slave to a corporation, Going from job to job (never to long in one place) and all the great places I can stop at during and after my jobs. Feel sorry for contractors on big jobs when things get bad with there customers, I like knowing how much better the carpet looks when im done, Since VLM, I love just having my pick up and not being chained to a truckmount - hoses, heat, desil, preasure, gas milage, freezing, winter heating bills, sleepless nights when power might go out, hoses busting, 120 gl of water always trying to find a way out, repairs, ect,ect. Now i say carpet will be dry in 1 to 2 hours, it will be cleaner and stay cleaner longer. I'm still amazed how fantastic the carpets look after encaping and on residential with the CRB, fibers standing straight up. and oh yes I like making more $ on 2 jobs in one day than most people make all week!!! Thanks for all the help, support and great products!!!
I have been enjoying the results with my crb in residential as well. I use a Whitaker 15. What do you use?
I like the freedom. My wife and I do a lot of ministry and volunteer work. We've been a janitorial business for a while, and it's nice because we can do volunteer work during the day and work in the evening. However, if we decide to leave town, I still have to manage my accounts. With carpet cleaning, if we need to take off for a couple of weeks, I just don't schedule work.

Plus, janitorial can get a bit monotonous. Carpet cleaning is its own adventure each time.

I also enjoy the ingenuity of the carpet cleaning community.
I have the cimex for commercial, and a 17in brush pro for residential. Also a porty mostly for tile!