• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We don't have any huge commercial buildings
my weak area is knocking on doors, and when i try to improve i just don;t know of any huge office buildings or they are the one time cleaning .. they want it cleaned every 5 years... 
I need about 10 really good accounts a month bringing in about $7,000

just can't seem to get there 

so let me add this, what is your process 

do  you just ride around and see building and then walk in ?
do you look in the yellow pages 
how do you decide that is who will will target and how do you meet the guy that makes the decision.
Do you have the CMS CD??

This will give you the confidence & pointers on how to approach new clients, as well as flyers, etc; to print.

I will plan a morning, usually Friday ( 09:00 - 12:00 ), each week, to contact prospective clients, I work out 3 months in advance where I will go on the day.

This then gives me the afternoon to have a leisurely lunch with my wife, then go home & do up the quotes & get them emailed back the same day.

I may target a particular shopping mall, having made a list of all prospects there with carpet.

Or I may target a particular building, first making note of where each prospect is located.

Other times I will target a particular street in the CBD & work my way along.

Properties that look particularly unkempt, I don't enter, if people aren't prepared to keep their property looking nice, I doubt they would be interested in paying my price nor on my terms.

Not all of my accounts are large, mostly they are much smaller, but more regular.

I refer to these as "boutique cleans".

Many that I have targeted have been inside shopping malls or in the CBD.

Mall Management also refer me for the carpet cleaning in several malls.

Travel agents, usually every six weeks, I have chain stores in the same group in different areas.
Some, I also clean the exterior glass to keep them happy, for a price.
I also have keys for each & every one of these stores, so I just forward plan when I'm going to clean them & sometimes do two in the one night.

Jewellery stores, usually every 3 months.

Clothing & shoe stores, usually every six months.

Many small offices that are generally attached to a factory or workplace, usually every 3 months.

Gymnasiums, usually every 3 months, these are generally done on a particular day, just after lunch when they have a slow period.
I also take along my small Oreck to fit in between some of the treadmills, etc; that are close together & Big Yella won't fit in.
Because several also have rubber floors, I also take along a CRB for the rubber.

Accountants & lawyers, are usually larger clients but only want them done yearly when they close for the Christmas break.
Some get them done 6 monthly on a week-end.

I also offer a "Spot clean" for those minor accidents or spills.

I don't chase those establishments that have long opening hours.
I don't relish starting work at midnight or some other godforsaken hour, and then missing work the next day.

I also no longer go after those early morning starts.

Most of my commercial work is late afternoon, early evening or on week-ends, I price accordingly.

As my good wife has active evenings playing bingo, church & other stuff, it gives me a chance to get out and make some money rather than lying on the lounge, being a Lounge Lizard, watching TV & drinking fine reds or Guinness. Big Grin  Tongue

Hope this is of some use to you.

One other thing, because I am in a very small city, most of my clients are within 15 minutes drive from my home.

Cool
I don't regret my past, I just regret the times I've wasted with the wrong people.
Take me as I am, or watch me as I go.
I'll retire when I can no longer do what I love, or I no longer love what I can do.
Stop moving, start dying........
Wisdom! Pure and simple wisdom. As usual, Shorty comes through with some of the BEST advice!

Follow what Shorty outlined above. It's very similar to the steps I have taken in commercial carpet cleaning business.

It's been said that in sales, the hardest door is your own. It's hardest to get through your on front door and get out there. But without that effort, you are bound to fail. Need a little sales inspiration? Read this book... Zig Ziglar. Secrets of Closing the Sale. It's simple and a joy to read. And there are plenty of nuggets that you can apply to your business.

Selling and marketing can become fun and effective with just a little practice. You will receive many NO's along the way - but each of the NO's is moving you that much closer to a YES. So throw away any apprehension you may have and get your butt out there. There's gold in there there buildings. Smile
I feel your pain! I don't have that many near me either. the ones that I have been into don't have any management onsite and I haven't been able to find out how does manage them! I know the need my help as the carpets don't look great in many of them.
  Reply   Purge Spammer
it does help thank you, I like that fact that if i read between the lines correctly your not worried about it...
TII just purchased CMS system I thank it work for me well hopefully I will be ready to go out and give it all I got and more I in a town of 60000 my goal is to be the only carpet cleaner they ever call then move to the next town and do it all over.(BIG DREAMS for a small fry)
Prestige1

In the words of Nike..............

Just do it !!!

Cool

PS::: Your town is about the same size as mine when I started.
I don't regret my past, I just regret the times I've wasted with the wrong people.
Take me as I am, or watch me as I go.
I'll retire when I can no longer do what I love, or I no longer love what I can do.
Stop moving, start dying........
Shorty, I am pricing work at a chain of medical offices on Monday. Thank you for the advice and the CMS recommendation a week ago! I feel better prepared!
Leofry, I know what you mean about door knocking being hard. May I just say, if you really love what you do, those people at least deserve the chance to hear your side. Yeah, most business owners or managers hate change, but so many people are putting up with poor service just because they hate change and the hassle. They NEED you! Don't make them wait and bud, good luck.
With Respect,
Stephen