• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wanted steam cleaning
[attachment=161]not sure why i am telling this story, i pretty much do what i want lol..
BUT am a little slow today 

i have been cleaning a automotive factory for about 13 months every month about $300 its about imo about a $375 job but hey its every month so i was cool with that.
at first they agreed to vacuum and move plastic matts and chiars but as time went on a few more mats where not taking up and we had to move them and a few more chairs ... and the floor was very poorly vacuumed ... ok dislike that but ok if they pay on time and pat us on the back then ok its $300 a month.
about the last 4 months they start to complain about the work, keep in mind that we are using the cimex and realist ... and thats what we have always used.
also keep in mind its me and one helper and well i think we are very good, not perfect. 

she sent a note with the last check saying lets steam clean it. 
it would be a long hose pull to do that i would have to go buy about 2 more sections of hose and keep in mind that this carpet is 20 years old, so i got brave or stupid and said give someone else a shot, let them try it and if your not happy i'll sit down talk about your expectations and i'll work up a new bid...

not sure am asking for advice, i made a decision, might be right , might be wrong, wont be the first wrong decision i made and wont be the last   
i think i even won the photo of the month once with this job 
Interesting story. Frankly I think you did the right thing! If they want to work you over - it's best to leave it on the table. Let your competition kill themselves. Confused

I've said it before - but I feel this old song from the 70's captures the essence of situations like this: "Throw Back The Little Ones" by Steely Dan...

Throw back the little ones
And pan-fry the big ones
Use tact, poise and reason
And gently squeeze them

Those few lines can be applied to business!
i won the photo of the month from this job.. so i must have been doing something right
It will be interesting to see how hot water extraction performs on a 20 year old commercial carpet in an automotive factory. 
You've got to get back and take a peek after they've had a chance to mess it up. Now that should be a photo opportunity  Tongue
It is really good to let some work go!!!
Focus more attention on profitable stuff.
I feel that if they pay you $300, knowing the job is worth $375, then they'll go for a cheap steam clean.

Let's see how long it stays wet and how bad it smells, not to mention how clean steamy can get it. Tongue

If they want you back, raise the price to $350 or even $375.

Cool 

PS:: Although I'm not a gambler, I can also relate this verse to business:

You've got to know when to hold 'em

Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
Know when to run

You never count your money
When you're sittin' at the table
There'll be time enough for countin'
When the dealin's done

Rolleyes
I don't regret my past, I just regret the times I've wasted with the wrong people.
Take me as I am, or watch me as I go.
I'll retire when I can no longer do what I love, or I no longer love what I can do.
Stop moving, start dying........
Not that it is my business, but I would go straight to $450, with a discount if
1. The mats are moved
2. The place is properly vacuumed (whatever you deem proper).

I love my customers and want lots more, but respect is a two way street.  If they want a lower price, let them do the work you've been doing free.
With Respect,
Stephen
great advice guys ,.... thanks