• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Encap and protector compatability
Hi all.  I have a question that has been bothering me.  How can Encap products and protectors work simultaneously???  The Therory behind encap is that it dries to a flaky or powdery substance that encaps soils so they can be vacuumed away.  I've been using Hydrox for both residential and commercial applications with great results.  The theory behind protectors is that they coat the carpet leaving a finish that lasts and repels soils.  They seem like opposites.  Am I missing something?    Thanks in advance for the repliesSmile
  Reply   Purge Spammer
You need to wrap your brain around what a flour-chemical does. A fluoro-chemical lowers surface tension. Lowering the surface tension of the fiber doesn't vacuum off. OK maybe a small percentage of the protector will get vacuumed away. But the lowered surface tension will continue to displace soil. Its molecular attributes will last a very very long time. I hope I'm explaining this clear enough.
So the fuoro-chemicals mixed with encap does not get Encapped? You are right, I do need get a better education on the chemistry of protectors.
  Reply   Purge Spammer
Yes, in fact some of the fluorochemical will get encapsulated. And some of the fluorochemical will get vacuumed away. No doubt about that. However the effect of lowering the surface tension still largely remains on the fiber.  And the cleaned carpet will still continue to resist soiling. The reason that many of the Releasit products include a built-in fluorochemical relates to the fact that that lowering the surface tension contributes to the effectiveness of the cleaning, it reduces the chances of wicking, and it adds a measure of soil resistance. Yet to provide the greatest level of soil resistance, an application of full strength Soileze can be applied following the cleaning. 

Here is a quote from a research paper on fluorochemicals:
Because of their low surface energies, fluorinated solids have the most nonwettable and nonadhesive surfaces known. It has been proved that only the outermost molecules of the surface of a solid need be highly fluorinated in order to achieve such low surface energies. It has likewise been found that surface active agents containing perfluorocarbon terminal groups will lower the surface tension of water far below the values obtainable with hydrocarbon-type wetting agents. Certain fluorinated hydrocarbon derivatives have also been synthesized that show very high surface activity in a wide variety of organic liquids, the extent of surface activity being dependent upon the organophilic-organophobic balance in the fluorine-containing amphipathic molecule.

As you can see from the article above, fluorochemicals lower the surface tension quite dramatically. That function of lowered surface tension is not easily removed from the fiber. 

Here is a quote from Beaulieu of America outlining the typical life cycle of fluorochemical application: 
Generally speaking, the effectiveness of fluorochemicals is reduced by approximately 30 % with each scheduled cleaning. A smaller percentage is lost through foot traffic abrasion. For this reason, carpet manufacturers recommend re-application of fluorochemical with every deep carpet cleaning with carpets manufactured with stain and/or soil resistance treatments in order for the carpet to continue to be capable of providing adequate soil resistance and stain repellency properties. 

As you can see from this quote, even a subsequent cleaning will only remove 30% of the fuorochemical's effectiveness. The stuff is hardy!

All of the studies that I've seen relating fluorochemicals indicate that its effect is long lasting. But what really matters to all of us is what we are able to observe in a "real world" setting. The fact is; carpet is staying cleaner longer with encapsulation detergents containing fluorochemical technology. The carpet is also easier to maintain. And that's exactly what we would expect to see from this kind of technology.
Thanks for all the info. One last question (for tonight Smile) . I notice the Hydrox does not contain Soilease. I know the Hydrox has a different polymer than the other products. Is it compatible with Soilease?
  Reply   Purge Spammer
Correct. Hydrogen peroxide is not compatible with the fluorochemical.
Does that mean when we clean with Hydrox, we should either not apply Soileze, or wait until the carpet is dry to apply it?

Also, If I remember correctly we apply the Soileze after encapping. Mixing in extra Soileze with the DS2 or Punch isn't a good idea, correct?
Yes it would be better to wait till after the HydrOx is dry before applying Soileze.

Yes, full strength Soileze gets applied after the cleaning. We don't generally recommend adding it directly to the detergent. It's intended to be applied following the cleaning for optimum results.