• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Customer allergic to cat dander
I have a customer who told me how her eyes swelled after being in there to be new home after a couple of hours. Said the previous owner had the carpets steam cleaned. Long story short, I have one of Ricks crb machines. I run the crb first and follow with pads on one if my o.p machines and either follow up with a good crb again with trays again to groom and pick up more gunk or a good vacuuming. Question is will this help with her allergy problem or will I need a special chem? Thanks
  Reply   Purge Spammer
That approach might work. Cleaning with Encap-HydrOx might also help, although it hasn't been tested for that. But keep in mind the dander is in the house. It's on the walls. It's on the ceiling. It's in the duct work. Carpet cleaning alone may not ever be the silver bullet. In fact carpet is more likely to hold down the dander. A good top to bottom cleaning may be what's needed. Under promise on this one.
Stan, my company offers the sort of cleaning you may wish to do.  A simplified protocol would (as Rick said) a duct cleaning first.  Then, HEPA vac the ceiling, all woodwork and the walls, drapes and panels.  Then vacuum daylights out of the carpet. Then use an enzyme cleaner like ZymeAway and one of those spinning microfiber mops to mop the walls from top to bottom.  Do the fans. Do everything.  The enzymes will eat protein, destroying the saliva on dander (as well as the dander). Rinse a lot.

Finally, use strong enzyme to clean the carpet, followed by encap.  Again, the enzymes destroy the dander, while the encap cleans the carpet.  

Make no promise except that this process should help a LOT!
To do walls, woodwork and fixtures, I charge $35/room for vacuuming and enzyme treatment, $45/room for using superheated steam.  It takes effort, but works very well.  I treated a home where a man had parrots and their feathers had a protein that caused lung granulation. For the carpet, charge whatever you think reasonable.

One month after we cleaned, he was tested (yes, he got rid of the birds).  The granulation had begun to reverse itself, a rare event.  We got it in time, but his wife, a physician told me privately she Had not thought it could be stopped by any method!

I'm telling you this so to encourage you to get crazy and meticulous; but be careful to explain why you do things, not promise outcomes.  If they like the protocol, Go for it.

If you want to talk it through, I'll help you any way I can.
With Respect,
Stephen
I am not sure if vacuuming alone is enough, it certainly helps. I am not talking about the vacuums here but expensive Miele with HEPA filter. You could wash the carpets/rugs regularly. I understand people love pets but allergies are serious stuff, its like playing with fire.
  Reply   Purge Spammer