• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coastie Engineering the Duplex
Ever have a power cord break internally?  Well, mine did and by the time I located the break, the cord was only 15 feet long.  Grrr...

So as long as I need a new power cord, why not add a feature?  One thing I've never liked about the Duplex dp420 (and may be an issue with your CRB) is how when you tilt the handle, it starts up.  If you accidentally tug the cord while plugging it in, off it goes!  Seems like there should be a swich to prevent that.

I bought a switch with a red pilot light and wired it in line.  When on, the red light glows.  "Red, you're dead."  
Attaching it with zip ties through the case so's not to weaken the handle by drilling holes worked well.  Then I added a male plug pigtailed off the switch.

Now I can use any extension cord to power it.  I have a new 50- footer, but if it gets damaged I can use one off the van without having to unwire anything.  Today the elves are off and away to scrub a hoarder's house (sad story there) and they are all excited about the safety feature. God love 'em, they are eager to go use it!
With Respect,
Stephen
Good to hear that you've cut the lead, Stephen.

One of the first things I did to my Cimex when I got it over a decade ago was to cut the lead.

When you are cleaning carpet in small lift lobbies, a 15' lead is excellent.

I also did this with my Sprayborg. (I think, pretty sure it had a long lead when purchased).

Why have 50' of lead on the deck when 15' will do the job??

50' is the max; length I carry, & with Big Yella or Big Blue, I do not exceed that length.

I have heard of others running 80 & 100', but I don't like to take the chance of an electrical problem to either the building, my machine or myself through cable overheating.

Safety is my priority.

I also carry several different length leads in my van as most of my equipment only have a pig tail lead except for vacuum cleaners.

My HOSS Cyclo & Makita Polisher are kept in a separate tool box, each with a 15' extension lead hooked up to the normal lead.

Cool
I don't regret my past, I just regret the times I've wasted with the wrong people.
Take me as I am, or watch me as I go.
I'll retire when I can no longer do what I love, or I no longer love what I can do.
Stop moving, start dying........
Good idea, Shorty.  I was "retired" out of the US Coast Guard eight years ago, but the safety habits and the use-it-or-lose-it mentality remain.  Already made a short lead out of the good section.  

For the record, when I got booted there was a lot of mumbling about how 33 years was the limit,  thanks for your devotion, we'll miss you, blah blah blah, but deep down I suspect they finally figured out who was drinking all the coffee for all those years.

No hard feelings, hahahaha!
With Respect,
Stephen